Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 1,683 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,820 reviews
Every single illustration in this book is captivating. I love coloring in this book and it is a favorite with all of my school aged grandchildren, both boys and girls. The flowing, elegant, artistic, illustrations spark your creativity and draw children away from video games and TV.

I have to be honest, I saw the image of this coloring book and it Intrigued me, but I didn't have a clue about the title. What is Art Nouveau? Then I really wanted to know what type of animals were included in the Illustrations.

What is Art Nouveau? (I looked it up on line)

1. Art Nouveau (New Art) is a style of decorative art and design that was popular in the US from about 1890 until World War I and characterized by intricate linear designs and flowing curves based on natural forms.

The illustrations in this book feature patterns of animals(not mammals (see below) intertwined vines, flowers, and other plants.

What Animals are in the book?

2. I counted the pages and this book has 13 pages featuring birds, 10 pages featuring mammals, and 7 pages with miscellaneous other species as follows: 1 butterflies, 2 fish, 1 crayfish, 1 with frogs and dragon flies, 1 snails and butterflies, 1 with seahorse, shells and starfish and one with a bird, fish and frogs.

3. 31 Illustrations printed one per page ( the back of each page is blank) on heavy weight, bright white, perforated pages.
4. Details vary per illustration.
5. Use crayons, colored pencils, gel pens, or markers with this book. If your pens or markers leach through the page, just place a scrap piece of paper under the page you are coloring and leave the book open until dry.

6. Two fully colored pages are included on the inside covers to kick start your imagination. I have included those with other pictures to help you decide if this is just the right book for you.

My older grandchildren both boys and girls (age 8 and up) and I love this coloring book. The pictures are too detailed for my grandchildren to finish in one afternoon but the perforated pages allow me to easily remove the pages for the children to take home and finish.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
1515 comments| 692 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
I am an adult who loves to color. Because I love to color animals and landscapes as opposed to patterns and mandalas, there are even fewer adult coloring books that I really like. This one is perfect! The graceful lines and patterns are pleasing, and I love having an animal as the central theme of the pattern. The art is beautiful. I am really enjoying this coloring book.

It is almost perfect. The beautiful line drawings are printed on both sides of the paper. So if you color one side with markers (which are perfect for these drawings) the other side is ruined. However, what I do with almost all of my coloring books is scan them into the computer as soon as I receive them - then I have the drawings to print out and color over and over again, so if I do color one in the book, I can always print out the reverse side drawing to color later. Dover put out one or two coloring books that came in book form and with a CD-ROM of the drawings. I wish they would do all of them this way. I'd gladly pay a little more.
33 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2013
These Marty Noble books are a great hobbie for adults - it's fun to figure out what colors to use and how to do the shading and bringing the images to vivid life with bright colors. It demands serious concentration which makes it very relaxing as all thoughts have to leave your head so you can work on the complicated designs - it's almost a form of meditation. And, when you are done you have a beautiful drawing (I use colored pencils, my favorite medium), suitable for framing. These Art Nouveau Animal Designs are particularly lovely. Art Nouveau is French for "New Art," it was an art movement that brought nature into design (flowers, birds, all kinds of animals) and believed art should be part of everyone's everyday life. For instance, art should not just be something you go and see at a museum, your house and furniture should be artistically designed, the knives and forks you eat with should be artistically designed - that's why you can see art nouveau styled household objects like lamps and chairs, because we should all be living with art. Art Nouveau, and it's philosophy, later lead to the Arts & Crafts movement.
review image
0Comment| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2012
Adult coloring books are a wonderful way to escape from various aspects of our daily lives that can cause us stress. For me, I have a very ill mother (terminal cancer) who has been an artist all of her life, yet now her hands shake and short-term memory is problematic. Yet give her an adult coloring book (or two or three...), a firm top lap desk, several types of colored pencils and accessories and she is very happy to delve into the image for hours at a time while recovering from chemo treatments in her bed. Even I enjoy coloring these pages as Noble consistently produces images (many from famous works of art) that are simple to challenging when found in these coloring books. This book "Art Nouveau Animal Designs" is amazing particularly due to the details included within each image. When my mother's copy arrived today, I was so happy to see the joy on her face as many of the designs included magnificent birds (her favorite animal next to her real-life puppy). A few relatives were also here when I gave it to my mother and they expressed interest in having their own copy of this coloring book...all over the age of twenty! So coloring is not just for kids anymore! (PS: Hospice nurse also approved!)
11 comment| 264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2015
Great! I'm a non-skilled adult at art, but I love coloring books and have been getting kids ones from the dollar tree but they were waaaay to simple, so I decided to search for grown-up coloring books (DO NOT search for Adult Coloring books that's something else entirely and personally I think pretty gross! Unless
Your into that) I found these books by Creative Haven and ordered 3 types. I must say since receiving them I've spent hours upon hours coloring. Each one is a bit of a challenge and very time consuming. I've honestly been so hooked on this and the other books from Creative haven that I have stayed up all night well past sunrise coloring (no I do not have a job, or kids, or a life just fortunate enough I can color all night) on a few occasions. I'm so pleased with these books! They have a website with tons more available and I plan to purchase quite a many more! The creativity is amazing! Buy This Book!
review image review image
on May 29, 2015
This book has beautiful art nouveau designs. Just what I was hoping for with this style. The paper is sturdier than plain paper but I would have liked it slightly better quality. For the price point though, just fine. My only real critique is the perforations are a little hard to pull out. I ended up with a small tear into my favorite page. I find them easier to work on out of the book, so I wish that would be better. If it weren't that, this would be 5 stars.

Overall, I enjoy the designs and for the price it is a great buy. I would recommend this to novice or experienced colorists. Good for practice and for stress relief. The example photo I'm attaching was done with Prismacolors Premier 24 pencil set.
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 10, 2016
I never thought I'd get into this whole coloring book thing, but this is my first venture back into a childhood escape.

Remember coloring as a kid? You find the drawing you want to do, and fill it in with whatever colors your young, creative mind thought up. You didn't worry about anything else - as long as you were coloring you didn't have a stress in the world. This is the ideal that brought me back to adult coloring books. It turns out, coloring is indeed stress free, and these adult level pictures are enough to destress you for 20-40 minutes each. Multiply that by the 30 thick, one-sided coloring pages in this book and you have a month's worth of relaxation during or after work.

I attached some pictures of some of the pages. Hopefully these are as wonderful as I remember them to be 20 years ago. Now the only question left is whether to use crayons or colored pencils....
Enthusiast: Coloringon November 6, 2015
these are fun to color. I find doing crossword puzzles and other types of puzzles and doing these adult coloring books help to keep your mind sharp. I have ADD and my mind goes ALL over the place and I have a lot of trouble concentrating enough to get one job done before I jump to another. Doing these coloring books really help my brain calm down. I recommend them This particular book has a variety of art Nouveau designs which I am partial to. I like it.
As an Aussie I can't get past the fact that kangaroo ears just do NOT look like that in real life! And I'm not mad on the monkeys lol There's also one plate which is repeated with a mirror-image flip. But I know I'm going to love colouring at least 25/30 images, which is an unusually high ratio. Marty Noble is a wonderful artist and this is a beautiful book.
on May 5, 2015
There are some great designs in this book. There's plenty room for creativity for the animals and the designs around them. There's good variety on animals too. You've got a few sea related scenes then some from Africa. The paper is great for coloring with pencils. I'm going to buy more of these books later on so I can work on shading and blending colors.