Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 31-40 of 456 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 515 reviews
on April 9, 2013
The series of books written by James Herriot are some of the most entertaining books I have ever read and the best of all the books written by this author (I think I have read them all). True accounts of the life of a country veterinarian in northern England may not sound very exciting, but everyone I know who has read these books were enchanted and entertained by the content. Be prepared to laugh out loud at many points in the books. BBC even made a series based on these books.

I highly recommend these books to anyone. My first introduction to this series was in hardback and paperback in the 1980s. I recently purchased these much loved books for my Kindle. Rarely do I read books more than once, but this is my third time to read them and no doubt it will not be my last.
on January 20, 2017
I first read the books of James Herriot when still a young girl, early teens. At that time I recall roaring with laughter at many of the scenes he beautifully described and the characters that people his stories. Now, I am old enough to really appreciate how beautifully descriptive this author is in creating scenes that come to life as one reads. He so beautifully describes the scenery of Yorkshire and I could often feel myself transported to this magical land. The characters of Sigfried and Tristan Farnan, and many of the farmers whom he comes to know are so well outlined as to feel that one has met them. As an animal lover, and having worked as a Veterinary technician, I really appreciated all the details shared about the caring of these creatures, large and small. If you want to read stories that are simple yet complex in the details of the surrounding countryside and of the people and animals that populate them, look no further than this compilation of three of James Herriot's best known and best loved stories.
on June 7, 2016
Very interesting memoir, full of rich descriptions of farming life in the Yorkshire Dales. Pleasant reading, if a bit repetitive-- each chapter is an anecdote of a humorous or touching farm call or vet visit. Makes me want to see again the BBC series based on these books. One minor annoyance: The books could use better proofreading, as the punctuation is distractingly random in places.
on May 29, 2016
I have read James Herriot for the past 30 years. These books of his are golden! I keep these books on my Kindle to read a chapter now and then in-between books; kind of clear my book pallet. Each chapter is a mini story in itself. Some you laugh, some you cry! However, there is no doubt that you will fall in love with James and all the characters he worked with during his life time. What a wonderful human being is was. These books will forever be my favorites of all time.
on January 12, 2014
I have dearly loved the James Herriot books since I was a kid. So, the problems with this review are not with the story, which is as memorable and heart lifting a story as you would ever want to read. However, the typos in this omnibus edition are numerous and distracting. Sometimes they even change the meaning of the sentence. If you have loved the James Herriot books for years, you will be able to make out the meaning, but if this is your first time, and if it is I envy you the journey, find a different edition, it's worth it to pay a little more to get the story without the typos.
on January 22, 2017
I grew up watching the BBC All Creatures Great and Small TV series, so I was very interested to read the books that the series was based on. These books are fantastic, and from what I can tell, the TV series was very true to the books. The three booms and the first three seasons of the TV series ate basically synonymous. Highly recommended!
on January 13, 2017
I tried reading these books when they first became popular but wasn't able to get into them. This time i wasn't able to put them down them down. They made me laugh out loud and cry. Few authors have the ability to bring me into their writing so completely.
on January 26, 2017
I would give this a 10 if I could! Thoroughly enjoyable and I remember well the BBC series when it appeared on PBS. Prepare yourself to laugh and cry but, most of all, to be TOTALLY entertained! But, don't take my word for it. See for yourself!
on January 21, 2017
I had read these books many years ago in condensed form. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them again and would recommend them to anyone who loves stories about animals. I plan to read other books by James Herriot.
on January 31, 2017
Herriot's words transport the reader into times past with wit, and with a nostalgic love for humans and animals alike. Such laughter and bitter sweetness in these pages! These books should not be missed!