Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Creepy Presents Richard Corben
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 19, 2012
... or the importance of being Corben.

Long before Richard Corben arrived on the scene, comic books were produced following the following pattern: once the artist finished inking his work (which was done either by brush or pen, and sometimes both), his work was shot and colored, and then coded according to a color chart. Each of the four colors used for printing had three or four variants, which when mixed with each other, would total from 62 to 122 different colors. These colors, however, had to be "seperated" at the printers. The method for doing this was by applying a variant of a chosen color on an acetate (a sort of transparent sheet or film) corresponding to one of the four colors. This was done with an opaque red-brownish color, through which no light could pass through. These acetates where then shot through a coarse dot screen, which when printed gave those tiny dots we see in the old comic books wherever color was printed on. And this was the norm for coloring comic books for many years. Actually this method, or rather the printing, gave artist Roy Lichtenstein an idea for reproducing comic book panels on large canvasses and making a fortune out of it (while comic book artists continued to starve).

During the sixties Corben was working as an artist/animator/cameraman for a Kansas City industrial film company, where he had also experimented with this four color process by using acetates. Wouldn't it be great if instead of applying the brown opaque color on the acetates with a brush, he could use an airbrush instead to obtain a more photo-realistic rendering? At the time, Corben was also moonlighting by selling some of his work to the underground comics, even if he was some sort of anomaly there, as he didn't do drugs, have long hair or was even anti-establishment. Underground comic books, though, gave him total sexual freedom, which he couldn't get from any of the other major companies. And it was around then that he discovered the Warren magazines, which didn't have to adhere to any comics code (though they weren't really as free or extreme as the undergrounds; they were caught somewhere in the middle between underground and major comics, or let's say, were more adult-oriented than your average kiddie superhero comic book). Corben began contributing with black and white work, which were the norm at the Warren magazines. He used every conceivable method to render his work more exciting, from zipatones, craftint, washes, crayons and even some airbrush onto his already inked work. But Corben's dream was to use color, but not as it was normally used, but by working directly on the acetates that were used for the printing. So he asked and pleaded Warren to let him use color, something Warren was hesitant about, as using color meant more expenses for a company he was barely keeping afloat.

Eventually Warren, or someone over there, gave Corben a chance to do a color story. I would have loved seeing their faces when Corben arrived with some brown-toned acetates and told them that was his "color" work. However, once the story was shot and printed, the results were astonishing. The figures seemed to leap off the page, and the rendering was quasi-photographic, making the artwork look as if it came from a slick magazine and not from a cheap four-color comic book. Actually his method proved so revolutionary, that color was added for a while on all the Warren magazines, though none seemed capable of doing it the Corben way (and some of the other colorists' results were rather apalling and ghastly).

Simply put, Corben had completely changed the way comic books should be colored. And his work at Warren didn't go unnoticed. When a bunch of French comic book artists, dissatisfied with working for a youth-oriented magazine, decided to start their own science-fiction adult-oriented magazine, its editor, already a big fan of the Warren magazines, decided to contact Corben. And that's how Corben published his series "Den" (which had actually first started as an animated film) in the ground-breaking magazine Metal Hurlant. The impact it made over in Europe was unbelievable. It seems there couldn't be any adult-oriented comic magazine published over there without having some Corben art inside. After all, hadn't Jean Giraud aka Moebius said at the time that Corben was his favorite artist? Incidently, Toutain, the Spaniard who had started the invasion of Spanish comic book artists at Warren, would be Corben's agent in Europe.

Corben's work would open doors for comic book artists all over the world, artists who could finally see the potential and possibilities of producing comic books with richer and fuller colors. Though few followed Corben's actual intricate coloring method; a lot simply rendered their work directly in full color, using anything from watercolors to oils. Actually many of today's comic books, rendered with a computer, look very similar to Corben's work when he was at Warren and Heavy Metal, though he did everything by hand. That just shows how much the industry owes to Corben, a fact that seems to be ignored nowadays.

Concerning this book, it collects all the work he did for Eerie and Creepy (though missing are the stories he did for another Warren magazine, that is now owned by another publisher). Here you'll see what I've been talking about; from his first black and white stories, to those color pages that seem to have been done with a computer. I have to say, looking at this book now, that some of the colors are quite harsh and sometimes too pale, which I guess was from Corben experimenting with various coloring methods. Many of these Warren stories have become classics, and some of Corben's best were the ones he illustrated from Bruce Jones' scripts, as "In deep" (when I first read that story in the old Warren magazines, I thought they were actually photographs and not drawings), to the time-travelling dinosaur saga (which by the way is reprinted completely uncensored in this book, as opposed to the previous reprint by HM). Also note that the stories have been restored and the reprinting is actually flawless, looking sharper and better than ever before (some actually shot from Corben's original boards). I only wish someone would reprint his Den series, and the other work he did in the eighties, as it was there that Corben really shined and was at his very best, having total control of his coloring method.

For those of you who don't know Corben, or only know him from the inferior work he's doing nowadays for the majors, this book represents a view of a true innovator, who for nearly two decades was considered the best comic book artist in the world. Nevertheless, his work at Warren was only the tip of the iceberg (and by the way, how prolific he was, not taking into account that most of the work he did for Warren was in color).

Though I was partial to Dark Horse doing these offshoots (as I'm buying the Archives already), Corben is one of the few artists who deserves a book devoted solely to his work.

This gets my highest recommendation!
Dark Horse Comics has compiled together the best stories from comic book artist Richard Corben that appeared in the Creepy and Eerie series. I requested to review an Advanced Reader's Copy from NetGalley because Richard Corben is from my home state of Missouri, and I was aware of his fun and weird illustrations. Besides from the artwork, Richard also wrote some of the stories that he illustrated.

This edition includes the following stories:

Frozen Beauty; A Tangible Hatred; The Golden Sun Disks of the Incas; Astrology; Friedhelm the Magnificent; The Slipped Mickey Click Flip; Lycan Klutz; The Low Spark of High Heeled Noise!; Change ...Into Something Comfortable; Bless Us Father; The Hero Within; Terror Tomb; Judas; Demon in the Cockpit; Angel Shy of Hell!; Pinball Wizard; The Raven; Anti-Christmas; The Oval Portrait; Shadow; Unprovoked Attack on a Hilton Hotel; The Believer; In Deep; The Mummy's Victory; Instinct; Bowser; Bookworm; The Pest!; Bright Eyes!; Wizard Wagstaff; Child Part 1; Child Part 2: Mind of the Mass!; The Butcher Part 1: Forgive Us Our Trespasses; The Butcher Part 2: Bye-Bye Miss American Dream: Within You ...Without You Part 1; Within You ...Without You Part 2: Time and Time Again; You're a Big Girl Now; Within You ...Without You Part 3:Years & Mind Forever; and A Woman Scorned.

This is a wild combination of comics from Richard Corben, in the tradition of Tales from the Crypt. His illustrations of the creatures are very detailed, almost lifelike, like if they could pop out of the pages. These stories are definitely not for younger readers as some of Richard illustrations can come across as graphic and disturbing, including some nudity. If I had read a few of these tales when I was a kid, I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Some of these tales are really out there, with some not so great. I liked the version of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven; and the werewolf chiller Lycan Klutz. As a horror fan I enjoyed reading this collection, and I think Creepy and Eerie fans will get a kick out of this volume as well.
on July 16, 2012
Creepy Presents Richard Corben

As a long-time fan of the artist Richard Corben, I was absolutely floored by this collection of his complete works for Warren's Creepy and Eerie titles. Yes, some of the stories are dated and corny (particularly, the amateurish "A Tangible Hatred"), but Corben's artwork is uniformly brilliant, whether it is his pen and ink work, his airbrushed black and white work, or his spectacular, groundbreaking color work. The stories are varied and feature some wonderful marriages of words to images, particularly his collaborations with writer Bruce Jones, but the primary reason anyone should pick this up is for Corben's masterly artwork. Corben experiments with angles and technical tricks most comic artists wouldn't attempt and his experimentation often results in pleasant surprises for his readers.

This book trumps the compilation issued by Heavy Metal of some of the same work in the late nineties and is a bargain for the price. The package is handsome and many of the tales have been painstakingly restored (by expert colorist Jose Villarrubia) using Corben's original art. At over 300 pages, the book is just large enough for fans to enjoy fine details, but not too bulky to be casually enjoyed (the way some "omnibus" editions can be). If you like comics and don't know Corben, get this while you still can. Hopefully, his awesome underground work which has become obscure will be afforded the same treatment some day. Until then, Corben novices should start here; it would be hard to find a more idiosyncratic and dynamic artist than Mr. Corben.
on July 17, 2012
This book is such a treat for '70s horror-comics fans ... too bad it only took several decades to get here! Richard Corben's work was, if not the ultimate highlight of each issue of Creepy and Eerie, at least one of those guys that you hoped to find in its pages each time you went to the newsstand. His airbrushed color saturated the comics pages like no one before or since; he was certainly the first comic-book artist I knew of to utilize the airbrush, though at the time I couldn't have told you how the artwork was created. He always came up with truly fearsome creatures who tore and ripped and clawed through flesh with a ferocity that few other artists at the time dared to convey. And his work for even more "underground" comix featured women with unfeasibly huge breasts, but that's a fetish for another day. But back to this book itself ... it's a huge tome on glossy white paper, and it's almost too much fun to read. The kid in me wants to paw through it while enjoying a Moon Pie and a Slurpee, but the adult in me is terrified to get my smeary fingerprints on its pages. It collects all of his work for Creepy and Eerie. (If fans want to buy the three stories Corben did for Vampirella, they can be found in Vampirella Archives Volume 5 HC.) Those who have had difficulty enjoying Dark Horse's complete reprints of the Warren horror titles due to the proliferation of poor stories should race to look at this book. The batting average here is higher than usual. This one's a keeper.
on July 22, 2012
I just got mine this week and I was amazed by the quality of this book. Ive been collecting Corben artwork since the late 70s so im a huge fan of the artist...but I was skeptical that a really good collection of the Warren stories could be produced. I know that most of the original artwork is gone and the color films are also missing so the collection would need to be produced from scans of second generation sources (the magazines themselves). Heavy Metal tried to do this a number of years ago and the results were poor.. so I had my doubts. I was wrong! These reproductions are brilliant! I own all the original Warren stories and I went back and compared the artwork panel by panel. In most cases they are indistinguishable- and in lots of cases the Dark Horse reproductions are BETTER. Some stories (like Judas) had printed so dark in the original Warren magazine that entire areas of detail were lost- the Dark Horse version is much better and I felt like I was able to really see this story for the first time. Stories like Hilton Hotel which were scanned directly from Corbens originals have also never looked better. In just a few places I would say the original Warren reproductions were slightly better..The Raven lost a little detail in the darks here and there- but still an amazing job based on the limitations of reproducing from second generation sources.

I missed the Vampirelle stories- As Though They Were Living and The Woodlik Inheritance! Too bad they had to be left out, but I understand the reproduction rights reside elsewhere.

All and all one of the most beautiful art books ive ever owned. The color, paper quality, binding is as good as it gets (and its about 350 pgs, not 320). Im especially grateful to Jose Villarrubia and Ryan Jorgensen who oversaw the restoration. Its obvious these guys get it- they love Corben and gave him the treatment here his fans can appreciate. Im especially happy to finally get these stories onto archival paper- My Warren magazines are gradually yellowing and falling apart. Dark Horse has preserved these classics in the definitive form here and I am thrilled about it. I would love to see this team move on to a collection of Corbens underground work next?
on February 8, 2014
I got the online version so I could read it on my tablet, (highly recommended) and to be honest, I savored the entire book, it brought back many memories of when I read most of these the first time, years ago. I grew up on EC comics, my older brother and I read them back in the 50's, so the next step for me was "underground comics" in the early 70's, where I found out about Richard Corben. After that I started to read Creepy, Eerie, and that type of magazine. These stories never get old, I don't know how these type comic book style stories and art compare to today, but for me, you cannot beat this. Corben's artwork makes this, although the stories may lack certain qualities, his art doesn't. The facial expressions of the people in the art makes whatever he does come to life, so it's not ALL about the story. He could do art for the phone book and make it interesting.

Now, I'm left without this to read, hopefully I can find something else that will give me a 'good read' that this particular Corben's book did for me.
I read mine on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet 2014 Edition, the (super)high resolution of the screen made it to where I had zero problems reading this, (as mentioned by another reviewer) so it would all depend on what tablet you have, as to how it looks. I am not sure what it would look like on any other, but the decision to get the online version over the hard copy was a good one, at least for me. (If I did have any problems, I just 'enlarge' the page to see whatever I needed on things that are not that legible, as in other things I have read/seen)

You won't regret getting this, it's a whole lot of fun for a little bit of money!
on October 5, 2012
As an artist and collector of Richard Corben's work. I have been collecting his works since the underground comic years.

I have always felt that Corben's sculptural sensibilities, lighting and unique coloring techniques set him a galaxy apart from other artists.

If you are a fan of his work, you should own "Tales of the Arabian Nights", "Mutant World", "The story of Rowlf" and this book.

I still have the black and white Eerie and Creepy collections of Corben's stories, so I was excited to see them reprinted and combined into a single hard cover volume. Dark Horse did a superb job of collecting so many gems of Corben's work into a beautiful hard bound volume.
on September 30, 2012
This fabulous collection is everything you could ask for, and more! The book is divided into Corben's stories from Creepy and Eerie, with the Creepy stories presented first. Other reviewers have mentioned the stories, so I won't go into those, except to reinforce that Corben's art is spectacular, whether it be color or black-and-white. The book also has Corben's renditions of the two horror hosts, and really captures the feel of the Warren magazines in which they originally appeared. It even includes reproductions of the pages announcing Corben's Warren Awards. This book is quality from cover to cover; if you are a Warren fan like I am, this is the Corben collection you have been waiting for.
on March 8, 2013
I cannot say enough about this volume of terror tales! 352 pages of essential Corben from Warren. Whether you're new to these great comics, or rediscovering the greatness, it's a mandatory buy! Beautiful hardcover, great binding, excellent paper quality, gorgeous reproduction, informative notes....best book I've purchased in quite awhile! Cheers!
on September 2, 2012
Reason for Reading: I used to love these horror story comic collections when I was a young teen and I believe I may have read some of this title's single issues but I am sketchy on which comics I did actually read, except of course "Tales from the Crypt", that I distinctly remember.

A fabulous collection of short horror stories from both Creepy and Eerie comic magazines. The stories were originally published through the years 1970-1982. They are both in black/white and in full colour, probably a fair representation of both are included. I must profess a preference for the black/white stories as the use of shadowing is much more terrifying, or at least creepy, to me than the bright redness of blood and gore when colour comes into play. Other reviewers talk about reading these original comics when they were 8,9,12 and while I see no problem with that as there are certain children who love to have the pants scared off them. My age recommendation is older because I am concerned about the hugely buxom women and eventually totally frontally naked women with a strategically placed object in the groin area. The violence is quite violent also and the stories pretty freaky. That said, they are a whole barrel of fun for the appropriate age group. I undoubtedly had a lot of fun with these eerie, creepy stories that compare to "Tales of the Crypt" or "Twilight Zone", if you've never read this kind of thing before. Richard Corben's art is delicious and he certainly deserves a collection of his own. It's a pleasure to read all these stories (some of which he did write) and find the same consistent quality artwork throughout. As to the quality of the stories, they vary. There are three well done retelling of Poe stories, near the end we have a couple of episodic stories which carry over for about three parts each and these were very good. There are stories about monsters, werewolves, madmen, serial killers, ghosts and plain old weirdos. I'll admit there were 2, I think, that I didn't "get", a couple that made me chuckle, and quite a few that made me think "sweet" at their unsettling endings. I don't particularly have a reason why but I did find myself enjoying the last half of the book containing the stories from the "Eerie" magazine better than the "Creepy" issues for some reason. A whole lot of fun and this volume is a good price, especially compared to the hefty price of the Creepy Presents Archive volumes. I'd love to collect these but price is definitely a factor for me and will drive me to the library, unless they come out with trades at half the price. But this special volume is priced to sell!