Crime Stories Kindle Edition
Books with Buzz
"Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch is a brilliantly plotted, relentlessly surprising science-fiction thriller from the author of the bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy. See more
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I suspect Konrath has never had an original idea in any of his writings. What he does best is to take up tropes from his favorite genres (also my favorite genres as it happens), and give them new twists. He makes them his own and what results is enjoyable, fast paced and that word again, fun, reads.
The author prides himself on his humor, and in this one he confesses to having once attempted to be a standup comedian. As a comedian, he is a great writer. His output is prolific and his confidence that he is really a comedian misplaced as a writer is unshakable (or unstirable to stay in character). Both of these qualities are sometimes his Achilles heal. In terms of the former, nothing is left on the cutting room floor. Rather, it is recycled and diligent readers of his books are often left with a sense of déjà vu. But then again, he is such a terrific writer that second helpings are not so bad. Especially at the prices of his works in kindle versions.
Where Konrath's fans run into trouble however, is when his jokes become the premise of a story rather than a feature of it. Explaining this process in Crime Stories, Konrath notes how he saves up jokes on slips of paper for later use if they don't fit into a particular story. The result at worst is something like Crime Stories. The book tries too hard to be funny and as a result most of the stories contained here are simply tedious.Read more ›
How can you write two sentences and get it wrong? You're actually writing that the coming story wasn't picked up - and it has errors in it...? It's got Your Name on it for Christ's sake. Where's the pride...? It's like you just spit out a bunch of rejects to make a quick buck, which I understand but to not even proof read your copy/paste job actually pisses me off...
Then there are the short stories which aren't that bad, it's the errors that give you two stars... I could go on and on but here's a quick example... We're a few sentences in and we read 'should' where the word shoulder 'should' be...? How is that kind of thing missed in a short...? I mean really...
Not happy, feel cheated... Not cool, not cool at all...
I kept reading, hoping for more, and more I did get. The last past of the book were a few chapters of some of his books I had already read. I understand that Konrath is a famous author and can probably get anything he wants published now, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I am disappointed in the book and disappointed that one of my favorite authors published this.
SOME of these short stories are interesting.
The author complains that he likes writing comedy but no one seems to want to buy his 'comedy' …news-flash: they are not all that humorous!!!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I laughed at so many of these stories. Very entertaining. A quick read that will put a smile on your face.Published 3 days ago by L. Simmons
So this is not at all what I had in mind when I began this book, but the quirky humor and unusual twists of these tales were enough to keep me reading. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Kristal Bullard
This collection of short stories shows the flexibility of the authors - some funny, some that were so good that they you wished they were full books, some you just feeling just... Read morePublished 19 months ago by Claudia
J.A. Konrath’s Crime Stories is a collection of 21 stories and essays. Some are mysteries or crime stories of one type or another, but humor is much more prevalent. Read morePublished 23 months ago by H. Grove (errantdreams)
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Short Stories
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Hard-Boiled
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Police Procedurals
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Hard-Boiled
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Police Procedurals
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers