Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crochet Bouquet: Easy Designs for Dozens of Flowers
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 30, 2008
As an advanced crocheter, I own many crochet books, most of which tend to disappoint. This book does not disappoint. I too, like the author, adore flowers and find many motif books lacking in new or creative flowers-- same ol' thing. These designs were wonderful. The realistic flowers are great, and the whimsical, fantasy flowers are fun and worth trying for décor. I already have made several flowers used to decorate my greeting cards, and have made sunflowers in varying yarns as little gifts too. I sew, so I plan on making some smaller flowers, for spicing up tops and other items I make.

I specifically like:

1) The intro pages (with photos) on adding craft items to the center of flowers as stamens.

2) The well written, easy instructions. No diagrams here, but the instructions are easy enough, and nothing so complex that I am wanting diagrams.

3) Print in this book is easy to read, so I don't need to keep picking up the book from my lap or table. Lately, several books I have bought are printed in soft black ink and too small of font.

4) The wonderful variety of yarns and colors used to make flowers, as well as the featured projects from flowers on jeans, to decorating shower curtains. The white flowers used for wedding décor were really professionally looking.

5) The nice hints and suggestions found on several designs, such as crocheting only one row when using a carry-along yarn.

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the book and highly recommend.
22 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2008
Most new crochet books have little to offer that's new to an experienced crocheter; but I took a chance, ordered this book, and have not been disappointed. There are all kinds of flowers and multiple versions of each to choose from. I'm enjoying just sitting down in the evening and "picking" a flower to make with leftover yarns in my stash. Although the flowers lend themselves to lots of projects, I'm just making whatever strikes my fancy with a vague notion of eventually creating some kind of freeform floral collage. The poppy pattern is spectacular, and -- as one who loves leaf motifs -- I find there's a wonderful variety of leaf patterns to choose from (the fern and ruffled leaf are a couple of my favorites). The author also tosses in some nice ideas for embellishing the flowers,such as using purchased craft stamens, novelty yarns, beads, buttonsm and the like. For me, the real fun of this book is the process of crocheting rather than aiming for a particular project to be completed -- playing Simon Says with a pattern and seeing a lovely flower magically emerge from my hook. Plus, following these patterns opens up my own creativity; now I feel I could pick up a hook and start designing a new flower or two of my own. If I had one quibble, it would be that I wish the book were spiral bound so that it would lie flat on my lap when I'm working. However, that's true of most crochet books.
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
These are the nicest set of flowers I have ever seen in one book. Many are realistic (Columbine, Daffodil), while others are "classic Irish crochet" (roses, leaf). Entire book is in color with glossy pages. Flowers are clearly pictured, though it is not always easy to find exactly which picture goes with which directions. If you have any questions, though, the author has provided a web site where you can ask...and she is a fast responder! Great product!
on September 1, 2008
I have this book, and Nicky Epstein's "Crocheted Flowers", and I prefer this one. I love the simplicity of it. She has sections on centers, stems, leaves in addition to the flowers, which makes it really easy to create something really unique. I love all of the project ideas too! These projects really give you inspiration on how you can use the flowers....from cardmaking to embellishing a shower curtain. The example photos also use a lot of different yarns, which really give inspiration on using different types of yarns to create different looks. There are no charts, and I wish charts were included, but otherwise this is a very well done book. I have so far noticed only one typo...in the index section it lists the abbreviations as page 1---they are actually on page 17. Great Book!
on September 17, 2008
This book is EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be! Clear instructions with great photographs on how to crochet all kinds of flowers. Most of the patterns are in the beginner to intermediate range, so they are do-able by almost anyone, and just gorgeous! The photos on the cover pretty much say it all...
on August 9, 2008
This is a wonderful book! The author has provided many different designs and types of flowers so you'll have plenty of inspiration! She shows the flowers in lots of different yarns so you can get an idea of how your stash will look crocheted up into these little beauties. I only wish it was spiral bound so it would stay open when you're working from it. Other than that, I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to crochet flowers and leaves.
on October 3, 2008
At Michael's recently, I saw some lovely, linen embroidery thread; immediately, "Crochet Bouquet" came to mind. The book is definitely not for most beginners. However, for me, it's one of those rare books that inspires me to try MY combination of design, color, type of thread, and placement on a garment or whatever. It opens up another arena of fun without a huge expenditure for materials.
on January 10, 2010
I agree with other reviewers - the flowers are beautiful. I also like that the book gives you ideas and suggestions for variations on the patterns to make your own unique flowers. However, I am working on just my first pattern from this book, and already I have two complaints:

1) A large proportion of the patterns involve making 2 or more flower pieces separately and then sewing them together. Personally, I dread assembly. I don't mind joining colors, but I much prefer to work flowers as a single piece. If you don't mind assembly, this won't bother you, but it will probably impact my use of this book. On the positive side, it does give you more flexibility if you want to create variations.

2) Patterns cross pages. I find it really distracting to keep having to flip a page when I'm crocheting - especially when it's a part of the pattern that repeats, so I have to do it multiple times. I wish the book had been edited so that if you have to turn the page during a pattern, at least it is at the end of a row/round.

And wouldn't it be nice to have a book that's spiral bound so the pages lie flat when you're trying to read them?

Anyway, I will probably make some more of the patterns from this book, but mostly I will probably stick with the flower patterns in the Harmony Guides book of crochet motifs and the occasional flower patterns I find in other books and online.
on July 6, 2008
I'm always nervous when I order a pattern book sight unseen. I am so pleased that I gambled and ordered CROCHET BOUQUET! My daughter and I are planning to decorate hair clips with tiny flowers created from the patterns in this book. Wish us luck!
on September 25, 2011
I am an advanced crocheter (been crocheting for over 20 years) and have no problems reading patterns (would prefer that it had diagrams, as I find them easier to follow than the written ones). The patterns themselves are interesting and unique, but I find the lack of description of stitches to be exceedingly frustrating (e.g. dc in the US is a double crochet, but in the UK this is actually a HDC). Almost every book I own has a brief description at the front or back of the book that indicates how many yarn wraps are needed for a tr, htr, hdc, or a dc (making it easier to convert the pattern, in my head, to what I know the stitch needs to be or look like). Right now my resulting flowers look larger than they should and flipping through the book resulted in me finding out that there were no stitch descriptions. I prefer Lesley Stanfield's books "100 flowers to knit and crochet" and "75 Birds, Butterflies, & Little Beasts to Knit and Crochet", especially with all the crochet patterns having diagrams. At some point, when I have time, I will figure out the patterns and use them, but for right now (with the limited amount of time I have available) I will be using Stanfied's books instead.