|Hard Drive||500 GB 1x500GB|
Crucial BX100 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT500BX100SSD1
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Sequential reads/writes up to 535 / 450 MB/s on all file types
- Random reads/writes up to 90k / 87k IOPS on all file types
- Over 15x faster, 2x more reliable and 2x more energy efficient than a typical hard drive
- More durable than a hard drive
- Includes spacer for 9.5mm applications, Specs: Crucial BX100 500GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 535 MB/s Read / 450 MB/s Write
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the manufacturer
Crucial BX100 SSD
Outlast and outperform your hard drive.
Boot up almost instantly. Load programs in seconds. And accelerate demanding applications with ease. It all starts with ditching your hard drive.
The storage revolution that started in 2008 with our first SSD continues with the new Crucial BX100. Engineered to outperform a hard drive and deliver cost-effective performance, the Crucial BX100 leverages advanced flash memory technology and moves your computer beyond the outdated storage limitations of spinning discs. By transmitting data in a digital manner rather than having to seek it out on a spinning platter, the Crucial BX100 makes nearly everything on your computer faster and more efficient.
Over 15x faster than a typical hard drive*
Get more done in less time – or just have more fun. The Crucial BX100 SSD is over 15 times faster than a typical hard drive and delivers true 535 MB/s sequential reads on both compressible and incompressible data. By treating all data the same, the Crucial BX100 allows you to do everything quickly, regardless of whether you’re saving an image, accessing a ZIP file, or loading a video.
Over 2x more reliable than a typical hard drive**
Protect your data by storing it on the Crucial BX100, which is significantly more reliable than a typical hard drive. In the computer industry, storage drive reliability is measured in mean times between failures (MTBF). Most hard drives have MTBF ratings of 0.6 million hours, whereas the Crucial BX100 has a reliability rating of 1.5 million hours. In practical terms, the more reliable your drive is, the less likely it is to crash.
Nearly 2x more energy efficient than a typical hard drive***
Run your system longer and harder – using less power. With Extreme Energy Efficiency technology, the Crucial BX100 is over 90% more energy efficient than a typical hard drive. Since SSDs access data digitally rather than seeking it out on a spinning platter, they consume significantly less power.
Better value than a typical SSD
Get more out of your system – without compromising quality. At speeds up to 535 MB/s, the Crucial BX100 SSD isn’t the fastest drive on the market, but that’s squarely our intent. We painstakingly engineered the Crucial BX100 to provide a massive performance boost, while also delivering an unrivaled value among SSDs. Make the switch to the Crucial BX100 and get everything you expect from a Crucial SSD at an unexpected value.
Micron quality - a higher level of reliability.
As a brand of Micron, one of the largest flash storage manufacturers in the world, the Crucial BX100 is backed by the same quality and innovation that has produced some of the world’s most advanced memory and storage technologies. With over a thousand hours of prerelease validation testing and hundreds of SSD qualification tests, the Crucial BX100 has been thoroughly tried, tested, and proven. You’ll notice the difference.
* Performance level based on comparative benchmark scores of the Crucial BX100 SSD and the Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX internal hard drive. Actual performance level may vary based on benchmark used and individual system configuration. Test setup: 1TB Crucial BX100 SSD and 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue internal hard drive, both tested on an Intel DZ87RL motherboard, Intel i7-4770K 3.50GHz processor, BIOS Rev. 0327, and Windows 8 Pro 64-bit operating system using PCMark Vantage HDD test suite. Benchmark testing conducted December 2014.
**Reliability comparison based on published MTBF ratings of the 1TB Crucial BX100 SSD (1.5 million hours) and the 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue (0.6 million hours).
***Hard drive active average power use based on published specs of 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue internal hard drive.
Note: 1GB equals 1 billion bytes. The 1TB version of this drive has a storage capacity of 1000GB and meets terabyte-class standards, which refer to drives that store between 960GB and 1024GB of data. Actual useable capacity may vary.
Compare to similar items
This item Crucial BX100 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT500BX100SSD1
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||
Exclusively for Prime members
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Creative Distribution|
|Data Transfer Rate||600 MB per second||750 MB per second||6||6||600 Mb per second||6|
|Device Type||Solid State Drives||Solid State Drives||Solid State Drives||Solid State Drives||Solid State Drives||Solid State Drives|
|Digital Storage Capacity||500 GB||525 GB||500 GB||480 GB||480 GB||480 GB|
|Flash Memory Installed Size||500||525||500||480||480||480|
|Hard-Drive Size||500 GB||525 GB||500 GB||480 GB||480 GB||480 GB|
|Hard Disk Form Factor||2.5 in||2.5 in||2.5 in||2.5 in||2.5 in||2.5 in|
|Hardware Connectivity||SATA 6.0 Gb/s||SATA 6.0 Gb/s||SATA 6.0 Gb/s||SATA 3.0 Gb/s||Serial interface||SATA 6.0 Gb/s|
|Hardware Platform||PC, Mac||PC & Mac||PC||PC; Mac; Unix||PC;Mac||PC|
|Item Dimensions||0.75 x 5.12 x 5.12 in||0.79 x 5.39 x 5.39 in||2.75 x 3.94 x 0.28 in||0.28 x 3.96 x 2.75 in||4.65 x 5.25 x 1.25 in||0.28 x 3.96 x 2.75 in|
|Item Weight||1.76 ounces||0.42 ounces||1.92 ounces||0.64 lb||1.58 ounces||0.64 lb|
|Memory Storage Capacity||500 GB||525 GB||500 GB||480 GB||480 GB||480 GB|
|Optical Storage Read Speed||535||530 MB/s||540||550||550 MB/s||550|
|Writing speed of the optical memory||450||510 MB/s||520||500||520 MB/s||515|
Outlast and outperform your hard drive. Boot up almost instantly. Load programs in seconds. And accelerate demanding applications with ease. It all starts with ditching your hard drive. Engineered to outperform a hard drive and deliver cost-effective performance, the Crucial BX100 leverages advanced flash memory technology and moves your computer beyond the outdated storage limitations of spinning discs. By transmitting data in a digital manner rather than having to seek it out on a spinning platter, the Crucial BX100 is over 15x faster, 2x more reliable, and 2x more energy efficient than a typical hard drive.
Top customer reviews
This was my first time upgrading a Hard Drive, and it was incredibly easy. I used a StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable & the TEKTON 2830 Everybit Tool Kit (both sold on Amazon) to help me with this. Here's how I did it:
1. Plug SSD into USB to SATA cable.
2. Use Disk Utility to format the SSD. > http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/How-to-initialize-your-SSD-Mac/ta-p/111 490
- Erase Disk:
- Name: Macintosh SSD
- Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- Partition Disk
- 1 Partition
- Name: Macintosh SSD
- Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- Options: GUID Partition Table
3. Downloaded Yosemite onto the Mac directly. Clicked on 'Yosemite Install' application and installed it on the SSD. Go through installation process until it reboots, then the configuration process. Once complete, turn off the Macbook.
4. Remove old HD and install new SSD. > http://guides.crucial.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+SSD+Insta llation/419
5. Install iLife apps, Chrome & Skype
6. Update Yosemite using App Store.
- Sudden Motion Sensor > http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201666
- 'Put Hard Disc to sleep when possible' > Since TRIM isn't supported this will help the Active Garbage Collection built into the SSD
8. Reset SMC & PRAM/VRAM > http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 & http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
9. Move items manually from External HD to SSD.
If you're looking to upgrade your Mac and don't want to break the bank too hard - this is the way to do it.
- THIS DRIVE: Crucial BX100 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT250BX100SSD1 : 541 MB/s read and 377 MB/s write
- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-7TE250BW) : 510 MB/s read and 480 MB/s write (with Samsung Magician performance boost turned off, insane speeds with it turned on)
- Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" 7mm Internal Solid State Drive CT256MX100SSD1 : 484 MB/s read and 460 MB/s write
- AMD Radeon R7 Series 240GB 2.5-Inch SATA III 7mm Ultra Slim SSD RADEON-R7SSD-240G : 468 MB/s read and 506 MB/s write
- OCZ Storage Solutions Arc 100 Series 240GB SATA III Ultra-Slim SSD ARC100-25SAT3-240G : 419 MB/s read and 429 MB/s write
- OCZ Storage Solutions Vertex 460A Series 240GB SATA III SSD VTX460A-25SAT3-240G : 455 MB/s read and 499 MB/s write
Here are the major components on my test machine:
- Gigabyte Black Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboards GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
- Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)
- Windows 8.1 64-bit
It turns out that this drive has the fastest read speed of the six drives I tested (excluding the Samsung 840 EVO when the Samsung Magician software is running). However, it has the slowest write speed of the six drives I tested. Many users won't notice the difference in write speeds between this drive and the other SSDs above, but if you are video editing or doing other write-intensive work you'll naturally want the fastest drive available. The other thing to consider is how much per gigabyte you are paying for each of the drives. If you are making a jump from a traditional hard drive to an SSD, this drive is an excellent choice for the price and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. The speed increase will amaze you, especially when you use it as a boot drive.
You will not experience full speeds if you do not plug the drive into a SATA-3 port and instead use SATA-1 or SATA-2. It will also run slower if you run it over a USB adapter cable. In addition, many SATA-3 PCI add-on cards may not give you full speeds like SATA-3 ports built into your motherboard.
If you are upgrading your laptop to an SSD, this kit from Crucial makes it easy: Crucial Laptop Install Kit 2.5" SSD. I used it with another SSD and it works great. The included hardware and software makes it easy to clone your existing hard drive to your new SSD. (At the time of my review, this kit is only stocked by a re-seller and not Amazon and the price is a bit higher than you would pay for comparable kits. So you may want to shop around if you need a laptop upgrade kit.)
I trust the Crucial brand and expect this drive to last for years. If I have any issues, my review will be updated. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
This is hands down the best SSD for a laptop if you care about power usage. It uses half the power compared to most SSDs. Oh, and its crazy fast!!
I have bought others and I trust their reliability far more than mechanical drives. I have replaced many of those and none of the solid state drives. zi have added separate drives for picture backup and prefer to backup my files on an internal drive exclusive of this SSD. I never use over a 1 TB anyway since it takes forever to load and can be gone in an instant. Two fit in a bracket inside the 3.5 inch floppy drive. It re-purposes the space nicely.
Most recent customer reviews
You can depend on Crucial products and this one is no exception!Read more