Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,847 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,878 reviews
on December 9, 2014
I've added this pair of memory modules to my iMac 27-inc, Mid 2011, to upgrade from 4 GB to 20 GB of total RAM.
Despite the Apple documentation claiming that 16 is the maximum capacity for this model, I researched and found that you can max out to up to 32 GB.
For those people that have no clue (like me), the installation was really easy:
1 - Turn off your iMac. Touch the iMac frame to discharge you (electrostatic), and unplug it from A.C. Place your iMac "face down" in a towel.
2 - unscrew the 3 bolts from the memory bay at the bottom of the iMac, remove the memory cover.
3 - leave the 2 RAM modules in their slots (I had 2 RAM modules, of 2 GB each).
4 - Insert the NEW 2 RAM modules (8 GB each) in the 2 available slots.
5 - Screw the 3 memory cover bolts, get it up back in place and turn it on. That's it.

By looking at the "About this Mac > Memory" screen, I went from:
[ 2 GB ] [ 2 GB ]
[ ] [ ]

To:
[ 2 GB ] [ 2 GB ]
[ 8 GB ] [ 8 GB ]

Hope this helps!
1313 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2014
In a word OMG. Why the heck did I wait over 2 years to do this!!!!! I have a mid 2011 mac mini that came with the lame 2GB. I HATED how slow that machine always was (and especially after mavericks came out).. It crawled on Yosemite, so being a tech, I knew memory would help. I HAD NO IDEA IT WOULD MAKE THIS THING SIZZLE.. Crucial is the go to brand anyway and the install literally took me 20 seconds, but that's due to the mac mini easy access. However, great product and great price!
on March 7, 2015
I have a MacBook Pro 13-in Late 2011 running OS Yosemite. Before buying this ram I checked my "Activity Monitor" and found that I was constantly using 3.8-3.9 of my 4 GB of RAM. Seriously lagging. I received the package in 2 days and installed 8 GB in about 10 minutes. Amazing results! I'm not watching all my icons bounce around and waiting for them to open. I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to upgrade to 8 GB. It's just night and day.
on December 28, 2014
iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2010, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

Wanted to upgrade from the base 4GB of RAM provided by Apple. Looking for better performance. Interesting problem upon installation.

Attempt One: Original two 2GB DIMMs were in BANK 0/DIMM1 and BANK 1/DIMM1. Added the new Crucial 4 GB DIMMs to open slots for BANK 0/DIMM0 and BANK 1/DIMM0. Upon startup, the iMac blared the warning horn. Annoying sound. Had to power down holding the power button.

Attempt Two: Swapped one each of the two sets so the DIMMs were in the same banks. Once again the horn alarm upon startup. Power down . . .

Attempt Three: Loaded only the new two 4GB DIMMs in BANK 0/DIMM1 and BANK 1/DIMM1. Booted up fine. “About this Mac” showed 8GB total RAM. Success with new Crucial RAM.

Attempt Four: Keeping the two new Crucial 4GB DIMMs in BANK 0/DIMM1 and BANK 1/DIMM1, loaded the two original 2GB DIMMs into the DIMM0 banks. Booted up. Worked fine. “About this Mac” showed 12GB total RAM. This was the intended end goal. Success with both old Apple/Samsung RAM and new Crucial RAM.

Odd that the old RAM had to be relocated to the open slots. Specs between old and new did match, DDR3 1333 MHz. Have always had success with Crucial RAM in both PCs and Macs. Will continue to recommend Crucial.

Hope this helps other do-it-yourselfers.
on October 26, 2013
i change my old 4gb (2 x 2gb) ram with this one 8gb (2 x 8gb) and now the laptop runs like a tunder. My adobe suite programms start faster and now i can use more programms at a time.
44 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2017
My Mid-2011 iMac was ridiculously slow. After running some diagnostics and a full reinstall (you know, like you do with Windows), it was still painfully slow with 4GB-ram. It was obvious that more ram was needed. It's funny, because at 4GB-ram my linux systems scream along at high-speed (Debian 8 and Debian 9) on decade-old Core-2-Duo hardware, but my five-year-old i5 Mac seemed ready for the garbage heap.
I went with 16GB-ram upgrade, 4x4GB, and the difference is breathtaking. Although we should agree that such quantities of ram should be unneeded on a UNIX-compliant system, it has kept me from prematurely upgrading to new hardware.
on March 5, 2017
Jumping from the factory original skimpy 4GB of RAM memory all the way up to 32GB of memory with two of these 2X8GB Crucial memory kits was incredibly beneficial for my 27" mid-2011 iMac which I use many hours each and every day and rely upon for both work and fun. I did the upgrade several weeks ago and have never looked back. Now, I have no more pinwheels or spinning beach balls. No more cherry red moving blocks in the "memory" section of Activity Monitor -- just a skinny green line near the bottom of the box. No more buffering for videos. No more nagging error messages with browsers. No more required "force quit" actions. No more unwanted restarts. No more waiting and waiting and waiting for files to load. No more sluggish Time Machine backups. No more annoying crashes or freezes. I can (and do) use two different memory-hungry browsers at the same time with more than 20+ tabs open in each one with absolutely no diminution in performance and huge chunks of memory available to spare. And opening three or four other memory-heavy programs at the same time the browsers are open makes no difference at all to the operation of the iMac.

This was an easy fix and an easy task to complete for someone who is usually not comfortable doing these kinds of things with electronic devices. The process takes about five minutes and is carefully explained in full detail in manufacturer's pages and in helpful YouTube videos available everywhere. Everything worked exactly as prescribed without any glitches or unexpected problems. So, again, "do it now" if you are having problems with your computer and have only the minimum memory supplied by the manufacturer. That's not enough for today's programs, apps and operating systems, and this fix really works.
on January 30, 2016
Upgraded my mid-2011 27" iMac from 12GB of RAM (4GB when new + 8GB shortly after I bought it) to 32GB of RAM (bought 2 sets). The system responds better now and there are no issues with the configuration (even though Apple says the system can only handle 16GB max). The processor in these mid-2011's are capable of handling 32GB and there are no issues on boot or while running. Price here was the best around and each set of SO-DIMMs came carefully packaged in their own box in a shrink wrapped sleeve attached to a cardboard insert to keep them from movement during shipment. These shipped from the distro center 12 miles from my house to me in 2 days...wish Amazon would stop the package throttling and throw me a bone once in a while with getting something early.
review image review image
on November 12, 2015
Not just for Macs. I have an Asus G47SX-A1 laptop that is 4 years old that now works great with 32gb of this ram. The system is now more responsive than ever. The oem spec says the max is 16gb for this system. Well that's true with the oem windows 7 home premium. However any upgrade from there will allow more. Asus.uk even sold a sub model of this system with Windows 7 ultimate and 32gb of ram.

Lookup: G74SX-91131Z-32GB uk

The question for me was, what is the right spec of ram? 1.35v or 1.5v? With these chips it doesn't matter as it is dual voltage. I did know I needed 1333mhz, according to the posters on the Asus ROG forum, which also follows the specs for my original ram. But most importantly, I saw another reviewer here that said she was able to use 16gb of this ram in her G74SX so I knew I would be safe.

I ran memtest86 on this ram for 22hrs and it got through 3 of 4 passes with no errors. After that amount of time, I just gave up and called it a day. FYI, memtest86 calls this chip out as 666mhz. DDR stands for double data rate which was explained to me by the developer of memtest86. So 666 equals 1333.

The bottom line for me is with $150 worth of these chips and a used $60 windows 7 anytime upgrade, I've successfully doubled my memory. Not bad for a 4 year old laptop.
on January 10, 2016
My only regret is that I waited so long to increase the RAM. I replaced the 4 GB of Ram in my MacBook Pro 13", i7 (late 2011) with the Crucial 16 GB kit (8 GB x 2). The replacement was simple & quick following the Apple directions, the recommendations on the Crucial website, discussions on amazon & uTube videos. This upgrade greatly improved the speed of the MacBook. Apple specs stated that the maximum RAM was 8 was 8 GB but those specs were written in 2011. Crucial recommended the 16 GB and the amazon discussions confirmed.

CAUTION: 1. The screws are very small. Be careful not to lose them. (2) 3 of screws are longer. Apple's illustrations in its instructions show where they are located.
review image