Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on January 8, 2014
I'm pleased to report that indeed, 16 GB of RAM does work correctly in the 2011 MacBook Pro, and, it is even recognized at it's full speed: 1600 MHz. All the functions of the MacBook Pro work correctly, including waking from sleep. Having this much RAM may seem like too much, but it is great if one uses several programs at a time or works with large datasets or image files.

Installing this RAM is relatively easy. There are instructions in the MacBook Pro's User Manual and online at Apple Support; even nicer instructions with step-by-step pictures can be found at sites like ifixit. Basically all one has to do is remove the screws on the bottom of the case, being careful to keep track of location of three of the screws that are longer than the rest.

As for quality of the Crucial RAM, the actual memory chips are by Micron, a respected manufacturer that supplies Crucial with most of the RAM they sell. After installing the RAM, I used the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) to verify that this RAM worked as it should in my MacBook Pro. I followed up on the AHT by running Memtest overnight to test the RAM - it passed with flying colors!

You may wonder how come it's ok to use 16 GB of RAM when Apple specified a maximum of 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM for the 2011 series of MacBook Pro laptops? As you can see if you peruse the web, there are many, many reports of users installing and successfully using a maximum of 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pro laptops. The reason why Apple specified only 8GB as a maximum is that when these MacBook Pros were released, RAM modules denser than 4GB were not available in the appropriate sized SO-DIMM. With the subsequent improvement in RAM manufacturing technology, it's now possible to use up to 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pros. It's simply the case that Apple has not upgraded the specifications of the 2011 MacBook Pro.

In sum, if you are considering increasing the RAM in your MacBook Pro, and it's a 2011 model, it's safe to use this DDR3 1600 MHz RAM instead of the 1333 MHz RAM. You may ask why would one want to use 1600MHz vs. 1333 MHz. I choose to do so because, surprisingly, the 1600 MHz version was actually cheaper than the slower 1333 MHz type. It may not always be the case because RAM prices are very volatile, but it bears checking into if you are shopping for new RAM.
review image
1111 comments| 406 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 23, 2013
If you go to the crucial website and have them scan your MacBook, they'll recommend you a CT kit with a serial number that doesn't match this one. As alarming as that might seem, the crucial website FAQ's indicate that the serial numbers may vary for warehouse storage and distribution, and that you should pay attention to the listed specs instead.

Anyways, the installation was surprisingly easy. It consists of a simple unscrewing and removal of the back panel followed by popping the old ram sticks out and popping the new sticks in that even an tech-unsavvy person like me could perform. I found the RAM replacement video guide on crucial's site helpful, since the guy points out a few safety considerations like static discharge and the numbers and placements of screws.

Once installed, I immediately noticed the difference in the upgrade. Applications are opening much more rapidly than they used to, and Parallels for Mac is running in seamless clarity. I highly recommend this upgrade to other MacBook Pro users running on 4 GB of RAM or less.
1010 comments| 346 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 30, 2013
I initially installed this memory in the already-open slots 1 and 3 (the factory RAM was in slots 2 and 4) and got 3 beeping sounds and no bootup. After following the advice of another reviewer here, I turned it back off, opened the memory compartment back up, and swapped the positions of the factory RAM and the Crucial RAM so it went like this:

Slot 1: 4GB Apple RAM (Top slot if iMac is upright)
Slot 2: 8GB Crucial RAM
Slot 3: 4GB Apple RAM
Slot 4: 8GB Crucial RAM (Bottom slot if iMac is upright)

That worked fine and I now have 24GB of RAM installed on the Late 2012 27" iMac.

Tip 1: the Crucial RAM is a tight fit in the memory slots. To get them back out to swap their positions, I first had to remove the Apple RAM so that I could get a better grip on the Crucial RAM.

Tip 2: I had difficulty getting the memory access panel off of the iMac because my finger wasn't going far enough in to depress the button all the way. I used a small key (a screwdriver would work too) to push the button in all the way to get the access panel to pop open.
2121 comments| 250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 28, 2015
Don't believe the "official" Apple specs or the nay-sayers who tell you that your early 2011 MacBook Pro can't handle 16GB of memory, or that it can't handle 1600 Mhz memory. This memory has been installed in my system for weeks now and is working perfectly.
review image
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 28, 2016
I installed this RAM in my QNAP TS-451+ NAS (which officially only supports up to 8GB of RAM, however I can tell you the NAS recognizes and utilizes all 16GB of this RAM without issue) and I immediately noticed a speed boost. Quicker bootup, no more slowdowns while multitasking, and even when not multitasking it seemed all-around snappier, so this RAM is a winner in my book. If you have a TS-451+, buy this RAM with confidence. Just be ready to disassemble practically the entire NAS to get to the slots to install it (not very difficult as long as you're careful and static free). For those of you looking for other uses, I can still recommend this RAM, I just don't know how much better it will be than what you already have (It's probably better, especially if you have less than 16GB to start with). As a plus, I've also only ever had pleasant experience with Crucial CS, and even better than that, I've only ever had to contact them once in over 12 years of using their RAM.
on April 25, 2016
I purchased this for my EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro (13") a few days ago... information on Apple website kind of told me that for my Macbook Pro, max I could have was 8 GB RAM. I used scanner from Crucial website that indicated that I could go up to 16. For the price of the RAM on sale, I decided to give it a go. I just finished installing 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM each. I run full standard Windows (because of Pentium processor) and I run Apple's OS as well. I restarted computer and checked on from both operating systems and both show 16 GB RAM!...
It works!
on October 30, 2014
Put 2 pairs of those in my iMac 27" mid 2010 with 2.93GHz quad core i7, replacing the 2x2+2x4=12GB I had before. So that puts me at 32GB. First, you should know that this iMac is supposed to use the previous generation in terms of RAM speed at 1333MHz PC3-10600 CL9 (I believe), but this RAM here works perfectly on it, but of course at the lesser speed that my iMac can do. Yes it works, and I wish someone posted that when I researched. It has caused ZERO issue so far and I use my iMac quite a bit. It is immediately recognized and yes, up to 32 even though Apple officially says only 16. But it works and OWC documented this a long time ago, for the quad core i7 on the 27 inch model. The performance seems completely normal, which is fast, and which provides huge amount of space to work in memory with no swapping, and with huge file caching as well. It's not faster to open an app or a file the first time, but as you keep working, it's much faster than before. Also if you have multiple users logged in and of course multiple apps open, the Mac will not slow down at all with that much memory. Mac OSX Yosemiter seems to use plenty of the memory you give it, which is nice because by caching aggressively you gain performance instead of letting your RAM do nothing. When you launch new apps it seems to reduce the cache to make room for the new app. So... happy!
22 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 27, 2016
Yay hooray! I was pretty nervous about doing this--although I am a professional artist using Photoshop and Illustrator every day, I was concerned about OPENING THE BACK OF MY iMAC (yikes) and inserting more memory. I was also worried that I would not get the correct RAM kit (I have a late 2012 iMac 27"). Worrying was not necessary. I watched a YouTube video and followed the VERY simple procedure. The first time I thought I had completed it, I got the dreaded "three beeps" and thought, "Oh here we go, these are junk!" WRONG. I had not inserted one of the RAM chips correctly and once I did, three minutes later, I had a full 32 MB of RAM at a fraction of what Apple wants to charge. Awesome.
on August 4, 2016
These Crucial 8gig sticks (2 x 4gig) Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 204-Pin SODIMM Memory for Mac CT2K4G3S160BM / CT2C4G3S160BM worked perfect in my in my ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U Desktop PC Celeron 2955U (1.4GHz) 2GB DDR3 16GB SSD HDD model CN60. They replaced the one slot 2gig ram factory installed stick (of course, now using both ram slots), even though the Chromebox specs says 4gig limit. Lol, Asus should update their Chromebox specs cause they'd probably sell more Chromeboxes. And yes, I know that if I'm only running ChromeOS that 2gig ram and 16 gig SSD works fine.

I also threw in a "MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF M2 SSD Solid State Drive (128GB)" MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF M2 2242 SSD Solid State Drive (128GB) as per directions found on web by [...].

I recommend first coning your USB stick with the ChromeOS (backup/recovery) image before you pull your box open to instal new ram, unless you have another pc within arm's reach.

Thanks to Roger Stringer, my little chromebox is smoking hot! No more dead tabs! Streaming netflix's without any stalls or hiccups.

I will probably setup the dual boot to Linux next week when i have more "free time". LOL.

I will also upgrade my two other chromeboxes soon.
on June 17, 2016
This RAM is one of the best choices I have ever made in upgrading my computer. I went from lots and lots of spinning beach balls and long program load times to snappy performance on my Mac. These upgrades have worked flawlessly in my 27" 5K iMac, and have been well worth the money I spent on them. My iMac came with 8 GB of RAM installed at purchase, so I decided to buy 2 of the 16 GB kits so I would end up with a total of 32GB of RAM in my iMac. The kits came in just a few days and were very easy to install. Within about ten minutes, the process was done, and I had my iMac back up and running. And did it ever run! Fast! The difference from before I installed the RAM to after I installed the RAM is like night and day! Everything loads much faster, and it was well worth the purchase. I highly recommend this RAM to anyone who needs an upgrade, and if you have an iMac, this RAM should work fine. I saw a lot of reviews stating that this RAM gave them a lot of trouble, but it my experience it's been nothing but a massive improvement over what I had before. I hope you have the same good results I did!