Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 5,337 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,475 reviews
on January 8, 2014
I'm pleased to report that indeed, 16 GB of RAM does work correctly in the 2011 MacBook Pro, and, it is even recognized at it's full speed: 1600 MHz. All the functions of the MacBook Pro work correctly, including waking from sleep. Having this much RAM may seem like too much, but it is great if one uses several programs at a time or works with large datasets or image files.

Installing this RAM is relatively easy. There are instructions in the MacBook Pro's User Manual and online at Apple Support; even nicer instructions with step-by-step pictures can be found at sites like ifixit. Basically all one has to do is remove the screws on the bottom of the case, being careful to keep track of location of three of the screws that are longer than the rest.

As for quality of the Crucial RAM, the actual memory chips are by Micron, a respected manufacturer that supplies Crucial with most of the RAM they sell. After installing the RAM, I used the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) to verify that this RAM worked as it should in my MacBook Pro. I followed up on the AHT by running Memtest overnight to test the RAM - it passed with flying colors!

You may wonder how come it's ok to use 16 GB of RAM when Apple specified a maximum of 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM for the 2011 series of MacBook Pro laptops? As you can see if you peruse the web, there are many, many reports of users installing and successfully using a maximum of 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pro laptops. The reason why Apple specified only 8GB as a maximum is that when these MacBook Pros were released, RAM modules denser than 4GB were not available in the appropriate sized SO-DIMM. With the subsequent improvement in RAM manufacturing technology, it's now possible to use up to 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pros. It's simply the case that Apple has not upgraded the specifications of the 2011 MacBook Pro.

In sum, if you are considering increasing the RAM in your MacBook Pro, and it's a 2011 model, it's safe to use this DDR3 1600 MHz RAM instead of the 1333 MHz RAM. You may ask why would one want to use 1600MHz vs. 1333 MHz. I choose to do so because, surprisingly, the 1600 MHz version was actually cheaper than the slower 1333 MHz type. It may not always be the case because RAM prices are very volatile, but it bears checking into if you are shopping for new RAM.
review image
1010 comments| 369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2013
If you go to the crucial website and have them scan your MacBook, they'll recommend you a CT kit with a serial number that doesn't match this one. As alarming as that might seem, the crucial website FAQ's indicate that the serial numbers may vary for warehouse storage and distribution, and that you should pay attention to the listed specs instead.

Anyways, the installation was surprisingly easy. It consists of a simple unscrewing and removal of the back panel followed by popping the old ram sticks out and popping the new sticks in that even an tech-unsavvy person like me could perform. I found the RAM replacement video guide on crucial's site helpful, since the guy points out a few safety considerations like static discharge and the numbers and placements of screws.

Once installed, I immediately noticed the difference in the upgrade. Applications are opening much more rapidly than they used to, and Parallels for Mac is running in seamless clarity. I highly recommend this upgrade to other MacBook Pro users running on 4 GB of RAM or less.
1010 comments| 328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2012
I bought this kit to upgrade a late 2012 Mac Mini. Worked flawlessly, as I would expect a Crucial product to do. Amazon had this for less than buying direct from Crucial, free shipping, and fast delivery. What's not to like?
1212 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2013
I initially installed this memory in the already-open slots 1 and 3 (the factory RAM was in slots 2 and 4) and got 3 beeping sounds and no bootup. After following the advice of another reviewer here, I turned it back off, opened the memory compartment back up, and swapped the positions of the factory RAM and the Crucial RAM so it went like this:

Slot 1: 4GB Apple RAM (Top slot if iMac is upright)
Slot 2: 8GB Crucial RAM
Slot 3: 4GB Apple RAM
Slot 4: 8GB Crucial RAM (Bottom slot if iMac is upright)

That worked fine and I now have 24GB of RAM installed on the Late 2012 27" iMac.

Tip 1: the Crucial RAM is a tight fit in the memory slots. To get them back out to swap their positions, I first had to remove the Apple RAM so that I could get a better grip on the Crucial RAM.

Tip 2: I had difficulty getting the memory access panel off of the iMac because my finger wasn't going far enough in to depress the button all the way. I used a small key (a screwdriver would work too) to push the button in all the way to get the access panel to pop open.
2121 comments| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2016
I purchased this for my EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro (13") a few days ago... information on Apple website kind of told me that for my Macbook Pro, max I could have was 8 GB RAM. I used scanner from Crucial website that indicated that I could go up to 16. For the price of the RAM on sale, I decided to give it a go. I just finished installing 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM each. I run full standard Windows (because of Pentium processor) and I run Apple's OS as well. I restarted computer and checked on from both operating systems and both show 16 GB RAM!...
It works!
on February 19, 2017
Yes, It works on your MacBook Pro Mid 2012. Although the recomendations were up to 8gb I read some other reviews here in amazon recomending 16gb and decided to give it a try. I am so happy I did it. I am very satisfied with the purchase. Very easy to install and great 4 times upgrade, from 4gb to 16gb. Also I changed the hd to ssd (bought it through amazon too: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B01IAGSDUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487562890&sr=1-1&keywords=Crucial+MX300+1TB+SATA+2.5+Inch+Internal+Solid+State+Drive+-+CT1050MX300SSD1). More than happy with my new machine performance. I strongly recommend it!!!
review image
on June 28, 2017
Normally, I'd write very in-depth reviews; however, in this instance, there isn't a need. The RAM pictured on the product page is what you receive, in a well-protected factory-sealed blisterpak. As long as you know what RAM you need (you can go to Crucial's website and use their Memory Advisor to see what chip your particular laptop needs and how much RAM your machine can handle -- in my case a DDR3-1600, for my son's Asus laptop), this is quite simply a five-star product that will breathe new life into your machine. The chip installed in seconds. My son's machine recognized it without issue. As expected, the upgrade allowed my son to do more multi-tasking. He's happier with his laptop; and, if he's happy, so am I. In my experience, if you go Crucial, you can't go wrong and I have no problem recommending this purchase.

Of note, I worked, professionally, and continue to work, on the side, in the computer-repair business for 15+ years. While RAM upgrades are usually the least expensive and easiest of all the upgrades you can make to your machine, always ensure you know what you are doing before opening any machine. If you never replaced a RAM chip before... research, research, and research some more. If you don't know what you're doing -- RAM replacement is fairly simple and straightforward, but, if done wrong, can fry a motherboard (I learned that from experience many, many years ago) -- take your machine to someone who knows what they are doing. While I doubt I'll have a need to do so, given my extensive positive history with Crucial chips, if I have a need to change my review, for better or worse, I'll do so ASAP. Until then, regards.
on December 4, 2014
Bought these for MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2010) model. Apple specs say 8gb maximum but after reading this site I went with the 16gb (8gbx2).

Easy to install and they made my old MacBook run like a new computer when multitasking. The only problem I had was putting the screws back in the MacBook because they were so tiny but the memory installation was a breeze.
on December 2, 2016
Perfect and easy fit for my iMac (27-inch, Late 2012). My iMac came with base 8 GB and Supports up to 32 GB according to Apple specifications, Adding the Crucial 16GB Kit (2x8GB) gave me a total of 24GB which i can see and feel when i run multiple applications. I just recommend following manufacturing instruction to replace and add RAM. you can find the information on the apple support website. [...] . I have also included the steps but the website have graphics.

1 Turn off your computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu.
2 Disconnect the power cord and all other cables from your computer.
3 Place a soft, clean towel or cloth on the desk or other flat surface to prevent scratching the display.
4 Hold the sides of the computer and slowly lay the computer face-down on the towel or cloth.
5 Open the memory compartment door by pressing the small grey button located just above the AC power port.
6 The memory compartment door will open as the button is pushed in. Remove the compartment door and set it aside.
7 Locate two levers on the right and left sides of the memory cage. Push the two memory cage levers outward to release the memory cage.
8 Once the memory cage is released, pull the memory cage levers toward you, allowing access to each DIMM slot.
9 Remove a DIMM by pulling the module straight up and out. Note the location of the notch on the bottom of the DIMM. When reinstalling DIMMs, the notch must be oriented correctly or the DIMM won't fully insert.
10 Replace or install a DIMM by setting it down into the slot and pressing firmly until you feel the DIMM click into the slot.
11 Once you have all of your DIMMs installed, push the memory cage levers back into the housing until they subtly click back into place.
12 Replace the memory compartment door. You don't need to depress the compartment door release button when replacing the compartment door.
Place the computer in its upright position. Reconnect the power cord and all other cables to the computer, then start up the computer.
I purchased the Crucial CT2K8G3S160BM 2x8GB to increase the memory in my Lenovo Y410P laptop from 8-GB to 16-GB. My Y410P has two memory slots, and one slot was already occupied by a factory-installed Samsung M471B1G73QH0-YK0 8-GB memory card. I probably could have just added another 8-GB card. But to avoid any possible memory glitches, I prefer not to mix-and-match memory cards of different types. The existing Samsung memory was PC3L/DDR3L, with the 'L' signifying that it is low-voltage 1.35V memory, whereas the standard PC3/DDR3 memory uses a higher voltage of 1.50V. You should not combine memory of different voltages or use memory with incorrect voltage since your laptop may not even boot up. To further maximize compatibility with my laptop, since it came equipped with CL11 1600-MHz memory, I likewise wanted to stick with CL11 CAS Latency speed, instead of going for memory with a faster (lower) CL rating. Some CL9 memory cards have faster specifications, but I really think that most people will not notice 2-nanoseconds of extra latency. So I ordered this CL11 1600-MHz memory because I wanted to exactly match the specifications of my laptop's original 8-GB memory card to ensure compatibility since using mismatched memory can cause system instability. And this memory has been working flawlessly in my laptop!

In real-world applications benchmarks, there is barely any difference between using CL11 memory and using some fancier CL9 memory, and the unnoticeable speed difference is not worth paying extra money for more-expensive models of CL9 or faster memory. With most applications, if you compare CL7, CL9, and CL11 application benchmarks, the differences mostly amount to 2% to 4% differences in benchmark timings. Along with the CL listing, another important memory performance indicator is bandwidth, and this Crucial memory's DDR3 1600MHz has a very good maximum bandwidth of 12800MB/s. But what does this mean in real-world performance terms? Relatively little. As long as you have enough memory to hold the applications that you are running without paging, RAM speed is only very rarely a performance bottleneck. Even with quad-core CPUs, the bottleneck is more likely still going to be the CPU . The reason for this is that the CPU's branch prediction algorithms are so accurate that, in the vast majority of circumstances, the data is already in the cache when the CPU needs it. So direct calls to RAM are quite rare. The branch predictor is like the CPU's personal assistant; it guesses what piece of information the boss needs next and makes sure it is already on his desk by the time he needs it. Occasionally, the assistant will get it wrong and the boss will have to forage around and find the information himself. In CPU terms, "foraging around" means retrieving the information from RAM, or (worst case scenario) disk, while if it is "on the boss' desk", that is equivalent to it being in the CPU's cache. And if your computer is equipped with an SSD using Intel's "Smart Response Technology" or if your computer uses SSDs instead of hard disks, it may retrieve the data from the speedy SSD instead of reading from a slower hard disk.

So the days are long-gone when purchasing high-end expensive RAM actually makes a tangible difference to your computer's performance. As long as it meets the basic specifications that your chipset requires, there is not much to be gained by paying more. Some performance gains are possible from buying better RAM, but these days, most tests tend to show that such performance gains are minimal... far, far lower than you will get from adding more RAM (not necessarily faster RAM, just *more* RAM) or a faster CPU. This was not always the case. When the Pentium IV first came out thirteen years ago, it used a new type of RAM that had, at the time, very high bandwidth, but also very high latency. AMD's Athlon used traditional RAM with lower bandwidth and lower latency. Some types of applications (e.g. video and audio conversion) were very sensitive to bandwidth, but less sensitive to latency. These types of applications showed significant performance gains with the Pentium IV. Other applications (typically games and office applications) were more sensitive to latency and favored the Athlon.

Overall, this Crucial memory is a great buy! Don't overspend on memory just because a brand or model of memory touts better specifications. If you are a hardcore computer gamer with a $4000 gaming laptop, you may opt for faster high-end memory to complement your top-of-the-line CPU and graphics. But most people should focus far more on how compatible that memory's specifications are for your system because the differences between CL ratings are negligible if you are considering CL rating differences of 2 or 3, while using memory that is not correctly matched or compatible with your computer can cause a variety of problems.

After I removed the original Samsung 8-GB memory from my Y410P laptop and added these two Crucial SODIMM cards, I reran the Windows Experience Index benchmark and got the same WEI "Memory operations per second" score of 8.1 that I had with the Samsung memory. The WEI "Processor: Calculations per second" also remained unchanged at 8.1. This was not surprising considering that both the original Samsung memory and this Crucial memory have the same specifications.

I also purchased a single 8GB card of this same Crucial memory to upgrade my HP Chromebox, which comes equipped with only 2GB in its single memory slot. There is a lot of misleading information on the Internet stating the maximum memory that you can use in the HP Chromebox is 4GB. But that is incorrect since the HP Chromebox can fully use 8GB of memory. After I upgraded my HP Chromebox, the Memory Monitor app on its Chrome OS displayed the memory capacity as 7.9GB. 2GB of memory is sufficient for a Chromebook/Chromebox if you are just browsing with a few tabs open. But if you want to open up lots of tabs and run lots of apps, or if you plan to install Linux or Windows on your Chromebook/Chromebox, then adding more memory will help with performance.

Note that Crucial has two identical 16-GB 2x8GB kits with identical specifications, with each memory product having two different part numbers: CT2K8G3S160BM/CT2C8G3S160BM Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Mac Memory CT2K8G3S160BM , and CT2KIT102464BF160B/CT2CP102464BF160B Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT2KIT102464BF160B. CT2K8G3S160BM/CT2C8G3S160BM and CT2KIT102464BF160B/CT2CP102464BF160B are exactly the same memory cards, with the only difference being that the CT2K8G3S160BM/CT2C8G3S160BM product is packaged for Macs with the words "Mac Compatible" on the package. But all four of these part numbers are totally interchangeable because they contain identical memory cards. So if you determine that this is the right memory for your computer, just get whichever of these four Crucial part numbers is cheapest :-) I purchased the CT2K8G3S160BM/CT2C8G3S160BM on Amazon because it was $30 cheaper than the CT2KIT102464BF160B/CT2CP102464BF160B product listing at the time (of course, prices can vary each day). Both of these products are dual-voltage and can work in either 1.35V PC3L/DDR3L or 1.50V PC3/DDR3 memory slots. Both products are Mac-compatible, but they are also not Mac-specific or PC-specific, and they work equally well with PCs, Macs, and Chromebook/Chromebox.

If my review helped you to make an informed buying decision, please click the [Yes] button below. If not, please offer suggestions for how I can improve this review. If you have questions, please ask.