Industrial Deals HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 8, 2014
I'm pleased to report that indeed, 16 GB of RAM does work correctly in the 2011 MacBook Pro, and, it is even recognized at it's full speed: 1600 MHz. All the functions of the MacBook Pro work correctly, including waking from sleep. Having this much RAM may seem like too much, but it is great if one uses several programs at a time or works with large datasets or image files.

Installing this RAM is relatively easy. There are instructions in the MacBook Pro's User Manual and online at Apple Support; even nicer instructions with step-by-step pictures can be found at sites like ifixit. Basically all one has to do is remove the screws on the bottom of the case, being careful to keep track of location of three of the screws that are longer than the rest.

As for quality of the Crucial RAM, the actual memory chips are by Micron, a respected manufacturer that supplies Crucial with most of the RAM they sell. After installing the RAM, I used the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) to verify that this RAM worked as it should in my MacBook Pro. I followed up on the AHT by running Memtest overnight to test the RAM - it passed with flying colors!

You may wonder how come it's ok to use 16 GB of RAM when Apple specified a maximum of 8 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM for the 2011 series of MacBook Pro laptops? As you can see if you peruse the web, there are many, many reports of users installing and successfully using a maximum of 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pro laptops. The reason why Apple specified only 8GB as a maximum is that when these MacBook Pros were released, RAM modules denser than 4GB were not available in the appropriate sized SO-DIMM. With the subsequent improvement in RAM manufacturing technology, it's now possible to use up to 16 GB of RAM in the 2011 MacBook Pros. It's simply the case that Apple has not upgraded the specifications of the 2011 MacBook Pro.

In sum, if you are considering increasing the RAM in your MacBook Pro, and it's a 2011 model, it's safe to use this DDR3 1600 MHz RAM instead of the 1333 MHz RAM. You may ask why would one want to use 1600MHz vs. 1333 MHz. I choose to do so because, surprisingly, the 1600 MHz version was actually cheaper than the slower 1333 MHz type. It may not always be the case because RAM prices are very volatile, but it bears checking into if you are shopping for new RAM.
review image
1111 comments| 408 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 23, 2013
If you go to the crucial website and have them scan your MacBook, they'll recommend you a CT kit with a serial number that doesn't match this one. As alarming as that might seem, the crucial website FAQ's indicate that the serial numbers may vary for warehouse storage and distribution, and that you should pay attention to the listed specs instead.

Anyways, the installation was surprisingly easy. It consists of a simple unscrewing and removal of the back panel followed by popping the old ram sticks out and popping the new sticks in that even an tech-unsavvy person like me could perform. I found the RAM replacement video guide on crucial's site helpful, since the guy points out a few safety considerations like static discharge and the numbers and placements of screws.

Once installed, I immediately noticed the difference in the upgrade. Applications are opening much more rapidly than they used to, and Parallels for Mac is running in seamless clarity. I highly recommend this upgrade to other MacBook Pro users running on 4 GB of RAM or less.
1010 comments| 347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 30, 2013
I initially installed this memory in the already-open slots 1 and 3 (the factory RAM was in slots 2 and 4) and got 3 beeping sounds and no bootup. After following the advice of another reviewer here, I turned it back off, opened the memory compartment back up, and swapped the positions of the factory RAM and the Crucial RAM so it went like this:

Slot 1: 4GB Apple RAM (Top slot if iMac is upright)
Slot 2: 8GB Crucial RAM
Slot 3: 4GB Apple RAM
Slot 4: 8GB Crucial RAM (Bottom slot if iMac is upright)

That worked fine and I now have 24GB of RAM installed on the Late 2012 27" iMac.

Tip 1: the Crucial RAM is a tight fit in the memory slots. To get them back out to swap their positions, I first had to remove the Apple RAM so that I could get a better grip on the Crucial RAM.

Tip 2: I had difficulty getting the memory access panel off of the iMac because my finger wasn't going far enough in to depress the button all the way. I used a small key (a screwdriver would work too) to push the button in all the way to get the access panel to pop open.
2121 comments| 250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 28, 2015
Don't believe the "official" Apple specs or the nay-sayers who tell you that your early 2011 MacBook Pro can't handle 16GB of memory, or that it can't handle 1600 Mhz memory. This memory has been installed in my system for weeks now and is working perfectly.
review image
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 28, 2016
I installed this RAM in my QNAP TS-451+ NAS (which officially only supports up to 8GB of RAM, however I can tell you the NAS recognizes and utilizes all 16GB of this RAM without issue) and I immediately noticed a speed boost. Quicker bootup, no more slowdowns while multitasking, and even when not multitasking it seemed all-around snappier, so this RAM is a winner in my book. If you have a TS-451+, buy this RAM with confidence. Just be ready to disassemble practically the entire NAS to get to the slots to install it (not very difficult as long as you're careful and static free). For those of you looking for other uses, I can still recommend this RAM, I just don't know how much better it will be than what you already have (It's probably better, especially if you have less than 16GB to start with). As a plus, I've also only ever had pleasant experience with Crucial CS, and even better than that, I've only ever had to contact them once in over 12 years of using their RAM.
on April 25, 2016
I purchased this for my EARLY 2011 Macbook Pro (13") a few days ago... information on Apple website kind of told me that for my Macbook Pro, max I could have was 8 GB RAM. I used scanner from Crucial website that indicated that I could go up to 16. For the price of the RAM on sale, I decided to give it a go. I just finished installing 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM each. I run full standard Windows (because of Pentium processor) and I run Apple's OS as well. I restarted computer and checked on from both operating systems and both show 16 GB RAM!...
It works!
on July 27, 2015
I have had my Apple Macbook Pro (early 2011) now with basically no problems at all. The only thing I started realizing was the speed of everything. It took a long time to open any window. I started looking into upgrading memory and was told by apple to check out Crucial Memory. On their website they have a computer scanner that will quickly scan your system to let you know what size you need and the maximum amount you can add. I located it and soon realized it was cheaper on Amazon's website with free shipping. I would recommend doing this. Crucial Still will back up their products even if you buy it from a third party company. The serial numbers however didn't match up which first had me concerned. I spoke to someone at Crucial and they advised the numbers may be different due to it not coming directly from the manufacture. So don't be fooled by the numbers.

Installation was an absolute breeze. Quickly was able to unscrew all the little screws and pop out the old memory cards. Make sure you install the new ones the exact was the old memory comes out. Within 30 seconds it was installed.

Now for the moment of truth. I checked the system under "about this Mac" and it now shows I have 8GB instead of 4GB. The results are absolutely amazing. I no longer have to wait for different programs to open. I also no longer get the little spinning wheel from time to time. It was a great buy and I would highly recommend it to anyone with a apple computer. Even if your speed seems okay, spend the money and upgrade! You won't be upset! Any questions please feel free to ask me. I can help you to the best of my ability.
on March 9, 2018
Like others, i assumed i could only install 8 Gigs max of ram on my laptop. MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. I didn't think i could have more than 4 gigs initially. Anyways. I did A LOT of research and found that crucial offered 16gig and said it worked on my laptop. Guess what. It did. Before this i had both slots filled with 2 Gigs of ram. Totally 4 gigs. After the OS High Sierra Update, things slowed down dramatically. Even prior to this, i had a hard time running the newest photoshop cc, or illustrator together. Start up, mail.. everything was crazy slow.

After installing this i crossed my fingers and BOOM! Super fast. Its like having a brand new computer and I can actually do some pretty intense graphic work on my macbook.

Its only been a few days, but everything seems to be working great. Laptop isnt hot or anything. If things continue like this, i'll be a lifelong Crucial buyer! One of the best purchases i've ever made on Amazon!

(See attached Screen Shot of Ram Installed)
on June 2, 2015
I wanted to post with a low enough rating that the review would be read by perspective buyers. I have no issue with the Amazon vendor.

For those of you buying these chips for an iMac Retina 5K....dont do it. These chips cause the sleep/wake function to fail. Upon removal of the chips the functionality returns.

This is a known issue and has been reported at the crucial website since December 2014. Crucial has decided to act like it news to them each time it is reported.

I purchased replacements from Other World Computing (OWC) and these chips work flawlessly including wake/sleep.

If you never sleep your iMac these chips seem to otherwise function properly. But not sure if other issues will crop up later.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 18, 2012
I bought this kit to upgrade a late 2012 Mac Mini. Worked flawlessly, as I would expect a Crucial product to do. Amazon had this for less than buying direct from Crucial, free shipping, and fast delivery. What's not to like?
1212 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse