About the Product
- You can download your game or software order an unlimited number of times for personal use.
- Please check the system requirements to verify this game works with your computer and/or operating system before purchase.
- You can also shop for digital games on your mobile device.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Europe is in turmoil. The land has been fragmented into petty fiefdoms. The Emperor is struggling with the Pope. The Holy Father declares that all who go to liberate the Holy Land will be freed of their sins.
Now is the time for greatness…
Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods is the fourth expansion for the critically praised strategy/RPG. Finally play as a Pagan or Zoroastrian ruler, with particular focus on the dreaded Vikings. Pillage and adventure according to true Viking tradition!
- Play as a Pagan chieftain and ravage your weak neighbors. If you remain at peace for too long, your people will grow restless...
- The new, earliest start date is 867 AD. The Viking Rurik has founded the kingdom of Rus and the Great Heathen Army under the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok rampage through England
- Play as a Zoroastrian lord and restore your ancient religion to prominence
- Adventurers: Landless characters can gather armies and carve out new realms on their own
- Prepared Invasions: Declare your intention to invade and watch your armies grow with adventurers and restless warriors, but don't wait too long to start your war or it might all fall apart...
- Rebels with a Cause: Rebels are no longer a faceless menace – they are now led by characters with agendas
- Loot and pillage provinces. Burn down cities and take their gold!
- Sacrifice to Odin at the great Blot!
- Christians and Muslims can dispatch missions to convert the depraved heathens
- New beautiful Pagan interface skin
- New events and decisions: berserkers, sejdr, curses, omens, divinations, runestones and much more
Requires Steam Client to activate.
Requires the base game Crusader Kings II to activate.
|OS:||Win 7, Vista and XP|
|Processor:||Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+|
|Hard Drive:||2 GB|
|Video Card:||NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon X1900 video card, 512MB graphics memory required|
|Additional Info:||Direct X-compatible sound card, DirectX 9, 3-button mouse, keyboard, speakers, Internet connection for multiplayerRequires Steam account for installation and activation|
|Supported OS:||Windows 7,Windows Vista,Windows XP|
|Hard Disk:||none specified|
|Video Card:||none specified|
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Overall, the new mechanics are well balanced. You can now play pagans, and work with the limitations of the religion. for the Norse, this means you can't avoid having each of your children inheriting and having to go to war or raiding every year or 2. It makes for a lot of early conflict.
The game does try to help at first, as the initial Norse counties have high levels of troops and a few pre-planned invasions. This makes it easy to get some quick conquests in.
Of course, that has a flip side. If you are facing this onslaught (Scotland, England, Ireland, Holland, etc.) you end up facing 20-30 years of heavy conflict, and will likely lose quite a few provinces early. And if you want to play as an independent count in any Norse region or one they are likely to attack expect to end up conquered because they will hit hard at first.
But once their initial leaders start dying the kingdoms tend to come apart with internal conflicts. So they really only have a major effect on the game for the first 50 years and then it does down a bit despite their need to keep raiding. (by then its hard to raid from a single province and the fragmentation of their kingdoms means they don't have multiple provinces to use.)
Good, but it basically just sets up a huge Zerg-rush at the start and then it settles down to the old game.
The ONLY drawback is that you can only start from 867 AD. I hope that future patches to the Old Gods DLC will allow you start the game from concurrent dates. I WOULD lobe to be able to play Basil II the Bulgarslayer or Nicephoros II Phokas.
Keep up the great work Paradox.
A review on release day is a bit silly, but I'll expand as I go and cover the big parts.
If you play CK II now, this is probably worth getting just for the ability to start 200 years earlier. Note - I don't see a way to start between 867 and 1066, though.
The raiding feature as a Norse is just plain fun. Visit new and interesting people and steal their loot. Be sure to watch the loot toggle button. That threw me when I couldn't siege once. Being able to travel up rivers adds a lot of depth to a pagan character. Do NOT ignore that feature.
Something to keep in mind. Mercenaries can NOT pillage like your normal troops. Let that sink in. I understand why it was done that way, but sure sounds strange.
I'm not sure what I think of the reformed pagan option. Not keen on the need to change your pagan religion to being more like the monotheistic religions.
It's quite a shock as a reformed Norse the first time that you get raided.
Strangely enough, I don't think there are any disease events in the Old Gods period. I completely forgot about them until they started showing up again around 1066.
Edited from 4 to 5 stars - I really am getting my money's worth out of this.
However, I was a bit surpised that I have to purchase the Norse faces, hymns to the old Gods and nrose unit packs individually, since this expansion costed $5 more than the Republic and Sword of Islam (although I know that Paradox have practiced this marketing strategy since Hearts of Iron 3)
Overall, if you like the CK2 base game, this is one of those must-haves along with the Republic and Sword of Islam expansions.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Expands one of my favorite game of all time. Of you like crusader kings get as many expansions as you can!!!Published 17 months ago by Robert Joseph Cox Jr.
Best grand strategy game ever created. Option to play in steam's offline mode for when you can't commit a couple hours to multiplayer. Read morePublished on March 7, 2014 by JEFFERY LYNN LEDOUX
This was an excellent purchase! It was really fun to play as a Norse Viking and pillage my way around England. Read morePublished on August 18, 2013 by GhostPuppy
If you are a fan of the game then you'll enjoy this expansion and the ability to not only play as vikings but ANY pagan and to play another 200 years longer!Published on July 12, 2013 by Daniel Hlinak
If you purchased the base game from GamersGate, this is the Steam version of the expansion, and will not work with your GamersGate version of the base game. Read morePublished on May 28, 2013 by Glimmermere