- File Size: 738 KB
- Print Length: 320 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0743262441
- Publisher: Scribner; 1 edition (November 25, 2003)
- Publication Date: November 25, 2003
- Sold by: Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
- Language: English
- ASIN: B000FBJHL2
- Text-to-Speech: Not enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #54,027 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Cry, the Beloved Country 1st Edition, Kindle Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
- Highlight, take notes, and search in the book
- Page numbers are just like the physical edition
- Length: 320 pages
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled
- Page Flip: Enabled
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible book with Whispersync for Voice. Add the Audible book for a reduced price of $7.49 when you buy the Kindle book.
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
The language of this book is amazing, poetic but also critical in the development of character. In large part the book is a love song to the land of South Africa, a place of great natural beauty which has been badly treated by man. But the language is also wonderful in expressing different personalities, different experiences, and different ways of thinking -- it changes and shifts with the subject.
The plot and characterization are very powerful. The people are rounded, neither all good nor all bad, and each speaks with his or her own voice. The story pulls one forward with the minister on his journey -- I read this almost without stopping. To a degree, some elements may be jarring for some readers today, particularly readers of color. The book was written almost seventy years ago, and it was written by a white South African, perhaps with the intention of reaching other white South African.
The ideas are compelling, and go far beyond the political. For me, the novel as a whole is about many things, about forgiveness and redemption and the tragedy of death and the miracle of new life The politics, of course, can't help but dominate the foreground. It is sad to think that the subjugation of South Africa's blacks continued for most of the next 50 years. But it is also inspriring to remember that apartheid ended without a civil war, and with reconciliation rather than revenge. A great book, worthy of its subject..
Overall, I was shocked by the power of this novel and while it's not along the lines of things that I would normally read, I am immensely glad that I decided to read it. Following Stephen Kumalo, a Zulu pastor from the wilds of South Africa, in his seemingly hopeless search for his son in the "civlized" metropolis of Johannesburg was a challenge at times, but Paton's writing and the courage of his character carried me through even the deepest and darkest points of his story and helped me to see the wonder of the human spirit regardless of the challenges and trials that it is put up against.
May not have been my favorite novel of all time, but I am glad that I disregarded my inhibitions and picked this up to actually read it. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I would recommend giving Cry, the Beloved Country a chance. You may find something here that you never expected.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Reference
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > African
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Historical