Oil month Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on October 29, 2016
Though I bought this as a preview to a trip to Antarctica, it's a beautiful read for anyone who cares about this no longer pristine area, it's wild life and the ice. Lovely writing that is neither romantic nor too strictly scientific, it covers the remarkable animals of land, sea and under sea comprehensively but not exhaustively. The author is a seasoned researcher, not primarily a nature writer. It also touches on the physical & psychological conditions faced by researchers without being about them. It prepared me for the beauty of the place and the not so lovely smell of penguin rookeries and has some excellent coverage (again, not exhaustive) of the history of exploration there. It's a book I'll take with me to reread as I travel. NB: it is out of date now in terms of policy and politics affecting Antarctica but that is not too difficult to research on line.
on January 9, 2015
David Campbell is, quite simply, a poet scientist. His writing is stunning, for ANY genre, but for a scientist, he's extraordinary. There are passages in this book that I read and re-read, just because the language is so amazing. His deep love for the natural world and the creatures/systems he studies shine through on every page, and his willingness to speak from his heart about what is happening to these wild places is not often found in serious scientific writing, which this most definitely is! If you want to be fascinated even while reading a sometimes dense explanation of how the ecosystems of the Antarctic work, this is your book. Never did I think I'd have any feelings toward the critters living in the benthic ooze -- but I'm here to tell you that because of his portrayal of their life cycles, I have new-found respect for the term "web of life" and the amazing abilities of even these tiniest of creatures. You will not be sorry you read this book. I have also read his book about the Amazon and was equally knocked over by it and highly recommend A Land of Ghosts.
on August 12, 2016
Excellent overview of Antarctica, including its various life forms and the history of humans' relationship to them (much of it horrendously negative, but told in a way that never makes you say, 'stop! I'm outta here.' Campbell is too good a writer, and an insightful enough mind, that is transcends that. This was recommended to me as one of three best things to read on the continent (along with Caroline Alexander's The Endurance and the play, Terra Nova, on Scott/Amundsen). The recommendation was spot on.
on October 4, 2016
I liked this book although not as much as the others I read which were more contemporarily written. This was published in the 90s. The book finishes with a good account of history that is interestingly written and worth reading even if you know the general history. Perhaps most interesting is his telling of the conditions in which scientists have to work with a glimpse at the dangers and an enthusiastic accounting of the accomplishments and finds made as well as how those happened. This was third on my list of four to read and I am very glad I read it as so much of it is still applicable despite having been written quite a while ago.
on March 20, 2018
Read during my Antarctic cruise. Extraordinary, a masterpiece even. Still have to look up lots of words I don't know.
on May 6, 2016
A must read for anyone contemplating an excursion to Antarctica - I read it first while doing one, it was remarkably accurate plus some historical information to boot.
on January 21, 2016
overwritten and very scientific language. I didn't finish it before I went to Antarctica, and I doubt if I'll pick it up now that I'm back.
on January 6, 2017
Beautiful Book
on August 8, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed the broad coverage of Antarctica ,history,biology,geography and the negative impact of human intrusion and decimation of the whale and seal ppns.Science well written.
on November 24, 2015