Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on October 12, 2015
I wanted some smaller ice cubes than the giant ones I have right now so I checked Amazon for some smaller cubes and found these! I made my first batch today and followed a review that said let them sit before removing from the tray, so I did just that and all of the ice cubes fell out easily. So far so good!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 11, 2015
I was drawn to these trays because of the small cube size: most of the benefits of crushed ice without the nuisance of an ice crusher, I thought.

However, these trays are very stiff. They are hard to twist enough to eject the ice cubes. (I'm a non-arthritic senior who goes to the gym a couple of times a week.) Now I've twisted the trays enough to break them.

If you run hot water over the bottom of the tray, you don't get substantially easier ejection. While a few more cubes will come out, the rest stay in their containers suspended in a thin layer of water (the physics of this is way above my pay grade).

The only way to extract most of the ice cubes in my experience is to twist the tray and then slam it against a flat surface -- for example, a kitchen towel on kitchen counter. Even doing this inside a plastic bag, a few ice cubes end up on the floor. So every use of the tray involves a floor mopping.

I tried the suggestion of one reviewer to "let the tray sit on the counter". That didn't work for me. It was still either frozen hard or slightly melted with the mysterious coating of water on each cube. Maybe I could watch the ice cube tray more diligently and improve my timing, but I've resolved to work on tasks that are more entertaining than watching ice cubes melt.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and go with the Camco 44100 Mini Ice Cube Tray, also available at Amazon. It has smaller than average ice cubes. However, unlike this tray, it ejects them easily and safely into a bag or onto a plate.
I needed some ice trays for use with a straw in an insulated water bottle. These were on the low cost end. You get what you pay for to a large extent. Since I didn't see exactly what I wanted, and the descriptions were less than complete I purchased 4 different types (all from/fulfilled by Amazon) to compare. I have reviewed one (unsatisfactory) set already and will append this there also. dimensions are approximate. 3 of 4 trays taper the cubes to allow release, dimensions are measured at top surface.
DIMENSIONS and the Numbers
Progressive International tray: 8&5/8 x 4&3/8 x 1" ice: L 3&3/8" w 5/8" d 3/4", 8 sticks 2 trays/set
Arrow Plastic 00055 tray: 10&5/8 x 3&7/8 x 1" ice: dia.5/8" h 5/8", 60 bullet shaped, 1 tray
Cubette mini tray 10&3/8 x 3&5/8 x 5/8" ice: 1/2" cubic, 90 cubes, 2 trays/set
Camco 44100 RV mini 8&3/4 x 37/8" x 1&1/8" ice: L 7/8" w 3/4 d 1/2", 21 cubes, 2 trays/set
Filling
Progressive: They are floppy and just miserable. You need to bring the water to them.
Arrow: Very Good, very easy. Pouring off excess to level is fairly easy.
Cubette: Very Good. very easy. Slightly easier to level than others because there is no lip.
Camco: Very Good. Easy. Slightly more care needs to be taken to level, but easy enough (with good eyes & steady hands).
Release
Progressive: a misery. Sticks must be pulled out individually or tray can be 'prolapsed' to pop them.
Arrow: Excellent. The non-stick nature of material helps both filling and release.
Cubette: Poor. Hot water run over back side, then you need a bowl under to capture as you whack out.
Camco: Very Good. Easy.
Notes:
I favor the Camco, with the Arrow a close second. If I had more of the Arrow they might be my
favorite, but they cost double. Camco gives larger cubes, so they last longer; while the Cubette give you lots and lots of small cubes that melt fast (and freeze fast). Cubette is closest to restaurant ice, while the Camco are just about half the size of the normal ice cubes you get from the standard trays. Arrow is in between. I've had all of them for several months and they are going strong still. The Camco tray arrived slightly warped, probably from manufacture, so the fill level will not be uniform (they do not sit exactly flat).
Only the cubettes have a flat bottom that is mostly insensitive to the surface they lay on, others are more sensitive. I honestly use all 3 types. The hassle of using hot water on the Cubettes then having to whack them repeatedly (and capture the ice) is somewhat compensated for the amount of ice you get from them. Although the Arrow release easily, there are so many it is not too hard to scatter them as they fall, so they too could use a bowl to capture. Smaller ice cubes of the Arrow and especially the Cubette will dilute drink flavor faster, but that is an aesthetic issue.
I gave up using the Progressive, I'll toss them out or maybe find a more tolerant home. What a waste.
For those who love to crunch on ice
This tiny size is nice
Just pop a couple in your mouth
And roll them round like dice

For making icy cocktail drinks
This size is pretty swell
And mixed with all those milky shakes
They'll grind up very well

The only problem that you'll find
Is popping from the tray
You have to let them sit a while
Or in there they will stay

The tray is not too flexible
It doesn't like to bend
You have to wait a minute plus
Before you can up-end

The way that really works for me
Is first, to let them sit
Then flip it on a paper towel
And thump the back a bit

Quick to freeze because they're small
But sadly and alas
You'll need to buy a lot because
Each tray fills just one glass

Amanda Richards, July 14, 2012
3737 comments| 659 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 10, 2018
Purchased these for DIY sugar cubes! Works great, they release like the older style ice cube trays where you twist them to pop the little squares loose. Have used for ice too with no issues, the small cubes are perfect for dropping in small mouthed water bottles. For everyone who has complained about having the ice melt quickly, they are small cubes and will not last as long as large cubes (of course!), but still do last significantly in already cold beverages. Ice cubes typically aren't used to cool down a beverage, but to KEEP the beverage cool. They've kept my kids water bottles cold through sports practices and events... with no complaints! I know that a lot of people here seem to have a lot of stress with these trays, but I'm not sure why, they are very simple and straight forward.
on February 13, 2015
i don't like these trays. this is an item with polarized reception, some people saying they are the greatest, while others can't stand them. i am with the reviewers who think ice trays shouldn't require a lot of instructions. these were inexpensive, $4.69 including shipping for two trays, purchased february 3, 2015, sold by MMP Living. i'm going to learn how to use them for best results. one of the trays did sit out for a couple of minutes, but it only emptied a little better than the tray taken straight out of the freezer. plus, these are tiny cubes, and i don't want them partially thawed when they come out. i am looking for hard-frozen cubes to refreeze in bags without sticking together. obviously it can be a great item for some people. i will get by with these trays, but do not expect to ever be completely satisfied with them. if that changes, i will edit the review and change the stars. i update my reviews regularly when it is called for.
I love the shape and size of cubes. Hubby laughed when he saw them cause they are so cute. However I have used one of the two trays twice in the 4ish days I've had them and one is already breaking in half. I have extreme difficultly being ice outta tray as well. I turn tray upside down on paper towel and bang down seems to be the only thing other then soaking ready in hot water. After literally two glasses of ice water item is breaking. Started return process but the 5 dollars is completely not worth it. Canceled return and will keep but excited to be buying a new new tray here soon.
on December 24, 2017
These trays are great if you need something to put under a wobbly table, or you happen to enjoy being irritated by simple things.

EVERYTHING about these is wrong: the plastic is too rigid to remove the cubes, the cubes come out shattered instead of in cubes, and everything else that is supposed to be good about ice cube trays. Obviously the designer of this fine product is a sadist.

THESE ARE JUST ICE CUBE TRAYS THEY AREN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE A SKILL LEVEL OR A LEARNING CURVE is what I thought in caps lock the first time I tried these. After struggling and getting lots of shattered ice but no cubes, the trays found themselves flying through the air, into the living room and out the 10th story window and landing in the empty lot next door. I hope they may find much happiness and fulfillment in the home of a woodland creature with a wobbly table.

Anyway these are useless crap, don't buy them.
on February 3, 2018
I debated between 2 and 3 stars on this. It is compact and fits the space in my freezer I needed it to and makes the ice cubes the size I needed. However, filling the tray has to be done in the sink and you have to allow the water to run over the entire tray to get each space filled. Then once frozen the cubes won't come out at all. You can't crack the tray like you would a larger one to lessen the cubes, cracking the tray doesn't loosen the cubes and eventually it cracks. In order to get the cubes out of the tray you have to turn it upside down and slam the entire tray down on a hard surface. Even when you do this, only a few cubes come out at a time, so you have to slam it down several times to empty the entire tray. I would recommend the flexible silicone trays instead, not these harder plastic ones. I really give it 2.5 stars.
on July 24, 2015
We ordered this to make small frozen cubes of various herbs so they're ready to go to make cooking after work faster. We puree the herbs with a little bit of olive oil, and then pour into this and freeze. This is the perfect size for our purpose since full size ice cubes end up being too large for most of our recipes. However, we found that getting the cubes out of this tray is very difficult. We bent it back and forth, ran it under warm water, etc and the cubes wouldn't budge until they had defrosted. However, since one try lasts us a month, we don't want to keep defrosting the whole tray to get a single cube or two. We finally had to use a shape knife to scrape out the cube. However, we were hoping to pop these all out to store them in a baggie or tupperware to save space in our freezer, and we can't do that since they don't come out in the cube shape when we scrape them out. If you're using for actual ice, you may have different results, but with our use, they have been the right size but too difficult to work with.