Top positive review
37 people found this helpful
Surprisingly good kitchen scale
on January 15, 2013
Let's get some other reviewers' complaints out of the way:
- Yup, this scale is only accurate to within 2 - 3 grams for most things, 5 - 6 grams on something heavier like a 5 lb weight. Don't look for more accuracy than that, but that's expected for this type of scale & just fine for the kind of cooking I do. You won't do better in the under-$100 range. If you need more accuracy for small quantities, get a supplemental small scale that's accurate to .01 or .001 grams.
- Wildly inconsistent results or difficulty zeroing the scale are due to weak batteries. I've had this problem before with other digital scales. Use good-quality batteries and the problems go away. Don't use the ones that come with the unit, they're the ultra-cheap "batteries included" type that weigh 30% less than proper batteries and quickly end up leaking.
- Use on a truly flat surface like Formica or granite. Tile counters may not work so well since tiles are ever so slightly uneven. Like similar scales, this one senses weight by measuring the pressure on its 4 legs, so pressure must be even on all 4 legs.
- Someone complained that tare doesn't work well because pressing on the button also places pressure on the platform. Not so with decent batteries. The scale waits for a second after the button press before starting the tare, so just briefly tap the button and wait for a sec
On the plus side:
- The top is a single, continuous, easy-to-clean glass plate
- Great looking, very sleek
- Display has great contrast, is surprisingly easy to read in any light
- Thin, flat and light, easy to store on its edge like a book
- Platform is large enough that you can see the numbers and press the buttons with a large place or bowl on top
- One piece, no loose parts to lose or deal with
- Buttons are touch sensors built into the glass, can't get full of crud around the edges
- Remembers the last units setting when it turns on
- Good price
- Pretty decent B+ build quality, should last a few years though I'll be surprised if it's still working in 5
Bottom line: Surprisingly nice little unit for the price range, sleek, no major beefs. I've only had it for a few days so I don't know how it'll hold up. Knocked off one star for the insulting cheapo batteries.
UPDATE: Still going strong 3 years later.