BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 24, 2012
I used to cook popcorn with a kettle on a gas stove, but it was hard to keep shaking the whole time, it used a lot of oil, cleanup was a pain, and most importantly, a dozen or so kernels always burned resulting in yucky popcorn. After doing some research, I decided the CPM-950 has the most features and is very easy to use and clean compared to the others. It costs a little more than a hot-air popper, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

I specifically wanted a popper that could make my favorite flavor, chocolate, which I can rarely find on the store shelves. After doing some recon on Amazon, it became clear that many people were experiencing durability issues with this particular model. However, I decided to dive in anyway because I couldn't find another popper with the same set of features out there.

After receiving it, I was relieved that the flavor mixer is no gimmick! This thing made the chocolate popcorn on par with store bought, only better because the ingredients are fresh. The overall design of this machine is brilliant! The wire that stirs the kernels ensures that nothing ever burns, and the oil-roasted taste is there. I use 2 tsp of olive oil for the cooking, then top it with sea salt and a tablespoon of olive oil to replace the butter, which makes the popcorn quite healthy. You can eat right out of the bucket, and everything cleans up nicely in the dishwasher.

As for durability, I've made over a dozen batches. Judging from the reviews here, the weak point seems to be the plastic clip that secures the heating element to the base. My solution is to baby this part when connecting the heating element to the base, although it is thrown into the dishwasher every time. If this breaks, I will be updating this review appropriately, but so far I am beyond happy with this popper.

UPDATE April 14, 2012:
I'm still using this popper almost daily and it's holding up well. After probably 50 batches nothing has broken yet, so it looks like the durability problem has either been addressed with updates to manufacturing, or it is not happening with everyone. It was definitely worth taking a chance with this product!

UPDATE December 19, 2013:
Something finally broke! My daughter was playing with the on/off switch, being her usual destructive self, and it seemed to come loose inside. I opened it up and there was a pretty thin and flimsy piece of plastic that snapped, causing the switch to wiggle when I turned it on or off. I did a quick fix by drilling a new hole in a thicker section of plastic, then reinserting the screw and it holds nicely now. Still glad I bought this popper despite the setback.
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2011
This was the best popper I had ever used, all four times I got to use it before it disintegrated. The manufacturer suggests washing the popping plate in the dishwasher, which seemed to be a great feature. However, after using the machine only four times, the plastic housing for the tension mechanism that snaps the popping plate onto the motor fell apart in the dishwasher. The disappointment was only exacerbated by the fact that this machine DID indeed easily produce theater quality popcorn. Basically, this was the best popcorn machine in the world . . . until it wasn't.

I bought the more expensive model after reading reviews from customers who had purchased Cuisinart's lower-priced popper. Apparently those reviewers were disappointed that their machines had broken prematurely as well. Erroneously, I assumed that Cuisinart had likely worked out the poor workmanship issues when they produced the newer and more pricey machine; afterall they ARE Cuisinart.

Simply stated, this was essentially a disposable machine. At approximately $80, this machine that produced a total of 4 batches of popcorn, cost $20 bucks a pop!
2222 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2016
I am, in general, a fan of Cuisinart products. The EasyPop Plus Popcorn Maker is an exception to this. I really tried to like this popcorn maker, but there were too many issues to get over. Regardless of attempts to clean the clear bowl/dome in both the dishwasher and by hand, it was an impossible task. Also, cleaning certain parts of the detachable popping plate were quite difficult, this part of the unit did better in the dish washer. After less than a year of minimal use, only due to the hassle of cleaning, parts of both of the clips that mounted the popping plate to the base broke off, resulting in very sharp edges and less than secure operation. It was at this point I gave up the ghost and tossed the unit. I did not think to check into returning it, I wish I had.
on December 28, 2014
Makes GREAT popcorn but it has already fell apart after 4 months use (maybe 1 or 2 pops per month).
There are two clips that locks the pan into the base. One broke off after a few uses and the second one just broke off.
I have another one at my other home and the first clip broke the first month as well and fortunately the second one has not broken off.
Despite being VERY careful with them they still broke off
Lousy quality. Too bad, makes beautiful popcorn.
on July 18, 2014
Unfortunately there are some major problems with this model that Cuisinart failed to address.

- lid for when popcorn is done popping does not stay stuck to the clear popping dome, so you can't flip it over.
- plastic piece which sits atop dome for ingredient distribution is unnecessary, and is easy to forget to remove before trying to apply lid
- mixing paddle which attaches to stirring arm makes it so un-popped popcorn cannot be evenly distributed when popping, has to be removed.

Older, more simplified versions of this popper were far better. I like the vented popping dome, but it needs some refinements.
on September 5, 2013
This lasted for about 11 days. The heating element no longer got hot enough to pop the kernels. This was an exchange for another unit that I had for another two weeks. The red prongs broke. I see from online reviews that this is a problem. This was within the 30 day return policy so I sent it back to Amazon. I had a previous model that lasted for years. This is just another example of outsourcing to China and poor quality control.
on November 29, 2015
Do not buy. This was my second EasyPop. The first had the burner burn out. They replaced it. Then the clips that hold down the burner broke and I gave up. Then I picked this one up on sale (I liked Cuisinart) and thought the new "improved" model would be matured and functional. After 6 months the clips broke, then the burner stopped working.
on April 26, 2017
never did work as it should
on November 2, 2012
I have used Cuisinart pop corn maker for years. Given them as gift to my children and friends. Each one has raved about the excellent results of the popper. However this August I bought the new model Cpm-950. I had to return it once the mixing part did not work. I am still having a problem with this machine, I have to take off the mixing tray and pour in the mixture. Do not buy this model stick with the old model, this was a waste of my money. Who ever designed this model should go make to the drawing board and start over. This is a louse machine and a pricey one.
on December 8, 2014
This popcorn popper is poorly designed. in order to remove the popped corn you have to invert the hot popping plate leading to the possibility of burns. The latches on the popping plate are made out of plastic and have broken twice in the three years i have owned this popper. Do not expect this product to last past the three year warranty period.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.