Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on January 9, 2017
I bought this to replace the same model I originally acquired in 1993. That one served me for many years, but the latch for the feeder-top device finally broke after 15+ years of regular use. Instead of trying to buy a replacement part, I decided to purchase another brand that was less expensive and ended up very disappointed with its performance. I finally replaced the knock-off with the Cuisinart and now I wonder why I waited so long to do so. This food processor is, in my experience, the best. It feels solid and well-made. The base is heavy and the rubber feet keep it firmly in place on the countertop. The motor is up to the challenge of mixing doughs. The disc blades are sharp and make quick work of slicing and shredding and mixing. I like the addition of a low-profile lid, to be used when mixing with the blade (not with the slicing or shredding discs).

I purchased the disc storage container to go with it and am very happy with the addition of this to the set. Can't recommend this food processor enough - you won't be disappointed.
on July 26, 2016
I have used this model of 11 cup food processor for 10 years now, replacing parts as needed and the actual base twice, for a total of 3 machines in 10 years. I use it daily, professionally (although be warned, in spite of the fact that it is called 'Pro' and they advertise that it is 'for a chef', the warranty will not cover professional use, only household use.) The machine itself does a great job and I would highly recommend it, yet they made a major design change for this latest model and it is terrible. Rather than keeping it simple with the lid and food pusher, they created a lid that requires a 'pusher sleeve', which is a frustrating contraption that is difficult to clean, and it is made of very flimsy plastic which MUST connect with a slot to engage the motor. As we predicted the moment we saw it, the piece broke after a month of use, of course just past the possibility of returning by way of Amazon's generous policy. Getting a new one is expensive and I fear it is something we will repeat several times over, as Cuisinart offers no options for the machine at all, according to the company representative I spoke with by phone. They do not have a mechanism for feedback, so I am under the impression that they do not care what the customer thinks about the product. We have continued with this line so that we can reuse the parts from past models that are still in good condition, but the next time this piece (or any part) breaks I will bite the bullet and purchase an entirely different brand. This may not be as big a concern to the home user, however the minute I saw this new part, I groaned inwardly knowing that it would break within a few uses, even at home, and I'm not even willing to swap it out for the one I use at home because of that issue. The experience has been far more frustrating than it needs to be since the company will not help me with this problem, nor guide me in finding a suitable replacement (she was not interested in my experience at all. When I called for assistance in finding a machine we could use she just told me to go on to the web site and figure out which things might work for me), or listen to feedback.
66 comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2011
It's true that the current build quality of all Cuisinart food processors does not live up to the rock solid, virtually indestructible reputation of their forebears of the 70's and 80's. ("Nothing is quite good enough" was their former advertising tag line.) However, the DLC-8S (and DLC-10S) is one of the few models that harkens back most directly to the original Magimix 1800 (from France) that Carl Sontheimer introduced to the U.S. in 1973 as the first "Cuisinart." The DLC-8S is the direct descendant of a line that includes the 2800, CFP5 and the first DLC models of the early/mid-80's and it is still the best food processor currently on the market even if it's not quite the mythical beast it used to be.

All Cuisinart food processors used to sport essentially the same basic design except for their size: 7-cup (DLC-10), 11-cup (DLC-8), 14-cup (DLC-7) and 20-cup (DLC-X). It was easy to buy accessories: DLC-10 accessories begin with a "1" or an "8" (the bowl diameter was the same as the DLC-8 and used the same sized slicing discs); DLC-8 accessories begin with "8"; DLC-7 accessories begin with "0" (zero); and DLC-X accessories begin with "3." A Cuisinart was a Cuisinart.

Beginning in 1989 Cuisinart's focus started to transition from engineering and design to marketing when Conair bought the company and greatly expanded the Cuisinart "brand." This marked the beginning of a period of feature stagnation, cost cutting and quality "decontenting" for food processors that resulted a couple of production runs in the late 1990's/early 2000's that were truly questionable. Plus, in 1993 a little competition came into play as Kitchenaid decided to put their own brand of food processor on the market. Cuisinart was initially caught a bit off-guard as the new Kitchenaid models featured exceptional build quality and a freshly updated design with a "blender-style" rounded oval base. Kitchenaid begin to displace Cuisinart at the top of consumer evaluation ratings around the turn of the century as Cuisinart build quality tanked and Kitchenaid surged with a fresh design and great build quality.

Eventually, Cuisinart decided they had better compete and and introduced newer models (the "Premier" and "Prep Plus" series -- rounded base and a new [not necessarily better] feed tube safety interlock) and they also greatly improved the manufacturing build quality of their original series (DLC). More recently they have introduced the "Elite" series with nesting bowls and a completely new sealing lid and with an even newer safety interlock system.

Here's a break down of the current Cuisinart line-up: DLC-8 and DLC-10 (original style 11- and 7-cup models); DLC-20XX & DLC-30XX (XX=07, 09, 11, or 14 cup Prep Plus or Premier models; these are the "oval, rounded blender base" models with revised feedtube safety interlock); FP-12 and FP-14 (the newest Elite models with beefy square base, full seal tapered and multiple bowls, new snap on lid with built-in interlock separate from the feed tube and "Blade Lock"). There is also another "P" series (DFP or DLC-XPN) that features the "old, original" base and bowl bowl design with a newer feed tube design.

Here's the rub -- you can definitely detect the effects of "marketing" in the design of the newer models. These new features look great as bullet points on the box, but don't add anything to the utility of the original machine. The feed tube interlock on the 20XX, 30XX, DFP & XPN features a long slender stem on the pusher that inserts into a complicated mechanism with two rollers and a linkage that is very easy to jam. Plus, the long slender stem is relatively easy to break off rendering the machine inoperable. The newer Elite series with it's beefy square base (a la Kitchenaid), tapered nesting bowls (a la Kitchenaid), a snap on lid with safety lock independent of the feed tube (a la Kitchenaid) and a so-called Bladelock safety feature is just clumsy to use. I bought and returned the FP-12. It had a "huge" footprint on the counter. The nesting bowls were actually less convenient (the smaller nested bowl made the lid harder to snap on and you always had to remove it to use the big bowl). Worst was the "Bladelock" feature. It's just little nubbed prongs on the inside of the chopper blade hub that are supposed grab onto a raised molded ring on the inside of the central tube of the bowl. The idea is you don't have to hold the blade to keep it from falling out with whatever your pouring. It worked ok on the big bowl, but the prongs in the little bowl chopping blade were incorrectly molded and didn't catch on the raised ridge in the central bowl tube - anyone for a nasty surprise?

The DLC-8S just works -- the way every Cuisinart has worked since the early 1980's. It may not be built quite as good as it was then, but it comes with a 3-year total warranty (for those who abuse their bowls and feed tube/pusher assemblies) and a 5-year motor assembly warranty. It proudly takes it's place alongside a DLC-10 purchased in 1988 that is still going strong (has only needed one new sheath/spindle for $12.95) and has chopped a lifetime of onions and made loaves bread out the wazoo. Every recipe since about 1980 that employs a food processor refers to this type of machine. If you want the easiest and best, this is what you want.
2020 comments| 841 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2017
Love this food Processor!! It's amazingly quiet and very strong motor does the job so far with grating, and slicing and julienne and chopping. I am very happy with this product. Was a little worried at first by how it was packed, as it was thrown into a big box w/o padding, But since the Cuisinart was in a smaller and well padded/packaged box of it's own it survived the shipping process.
on September 21, 2017
When I ordered this product, it was working fine the first time. After that, I encountered a problem; I was unable to lock both covers. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Now it does not work at al and I have to do everything by hand again.l. I would like some advice fro the seller as to what I can do to solve this problem.
My old Cuisinart DLC-10Plus, which I had for many years, never gave me this problem, I loved it. Unfortunately, the motor is no longer working.
Any advice is appreciated.
Ursula Behrens
on August 13, 2013
I don't know why I waited so long to purchase a full size food processor. I have had a small one for a long time but didn't do much with it besides chopping. I was skeptical about paying the money for a full size processor but now I wonder why I waited. This is a heavy duty machine capable of processing large quantities of food in seconds. The basic instructions that came with the unit got me up and running with my first use. I would highly recommend this product for anyone looking for a food processor. I was so impressed I purchased additional units as gifts for family members.
on March 1, 2016
I purchased two of these as Christmas gifts for my sons who are starting out on their own. I've had my Cuisinart for more than 15 years and it is still going strong - but I have to admit I was tempted to purchase one of these for myself. The biggest improvement is the wide mouth for the hopper - almost anything fits in there without needing to cut it to size. Both boys have said they are impressed with how strong the processor is and how easy it is to keep clean. I would definitely recommend this processor to anyone with a passion for cooking.
on November 7, 2017
I love this food processor. This is the 2nd one I have had. My first one was about 12 years old. It is the work horse in my kitchen. The stress I put this machine under is great, from making pizza dough to bread crumbs and it never failed me. The reason for a new one was I put in a very dry chunk of cheese to grate and it cracked the lid, got stuck and rather than unsticking it, I tried to keep grating and seized the motor. Not the product fault but mine.
on July 8, 2013
I have had this food processor for a few months now and I am crazy about it. I researched for a ridiculous amount of time before I bought it, and this seemed to be the best deal for price and quality. I use it about once a week to make pastry dough, and it whips it up like a dream. I like the included recipes, and have been experimenting with the different grating discs. My only complaint is that the pusher/feeder top has lots of little ridges and crevices to clean out (I do it by hand to keep it looking nice). I love the shredding discs for cheese, but haven't had great success chopping chocolate into uniform pieces (but I haven't been able to do uniform pieces in any machine, only by hand) . I have not had any problems with it functioning well, and highly recommend it to anyone looking for an above-basic food processor!
on April 28, 2017
This processor is heavy and well constructed. I love it and highly recommend.