Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 5, 2015
To be honest one of my best purchases here. Love it and going to buy 2 more as gifts for my sister and friend!
First I consider my self and wifey are ice-cream lover and addict sometimes!
We did some flavors until now and we will try more

Some comments before you buy it:
Noisy? yes, but not to level that bothers me.
Small for big family? maybe! for two of us we make one bowl every week (depend on feel and desire). you can buy second bowl ( I have it but never use it)
Easy to use? yes, using it easy. The tricky part is what you put in it! ( more explain will come)

Useful tips we did and worked for us:
1- If you love ice-cream heavy, hard, and texture smooth (like I do), You need to use heavy cream with your regular milk. If you are ok with light soft serve, milk with half and half will do the trick.
2- Do not over load the bowl with a lot of addetive ingredients. Its going to be difficult to freeze and unit as one texture. like adding a lot of chocolate ships or a lot of shredded coconut, that is no no.
3- 20 -25 min is proper time, Slightly less than is ok if you put less total ice-cream mix. I don't recommend going more than 30min! why? because the frozen bowl will not stay cold all time and your ice-cream will probably melt down after long time keeping it in machine.
4- Make sure your bowl is totally frozen before you start, shake it to make sure! I usually store it in freezer until I use it again, wash it an back again to freezer.
5- Avoid filling the bowl to the top, ice-cream grow bigger when set and will over flow and will make a miss and hard to clean.
6- *** I noticed that I can increase the hardness of my ice-cream by manually spreading the ice-cream mix to touch all inside surfaces of the bowl while still on by using rubber spatula. I do that in the last 2-3min before I turn off the machine. The ice-cream when start to freeze tend to stop moving or just touch one area inside the bowl and by spreading it you make it set faster.
7- I put in fridge for at least 2 hours before I use it! my wife like it soft and eat it immediately! :(
8- Did I say this? put your ice-cream mix in fridge or freezer for 30-60 min. before you start! the colder your mix the faster and easy to set and freeze inside the bowl
9- Price of ingredients to make a nice ice-cream? will I say fair to ok. As I mentioned, I use heavy-cream for hard serve ice-cream and I buy 1 quart around $6 (and I use it 2 times or two bowls, 2 cups each). you also add the price of regular milk and other flavors and ingredients as preferred.
I hope I didn't miss things. I waited sometimes to review this and try to be helpful! all above mentioned for the ice-cream and still enjoying my ice-cream making for now. I will move to frozen yogurt and I will add more tips to my review. Thanks

my wife helped me with this and added some pictures!
our ice-cream getting better as you see from pictures lol
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
2121 comments| 920 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2010
I have relied on my Rival ice cream maker for many years, churning out many, many batches of good ice cream...but after so many years, i got tired of the rock salt and ice ordeal so i went for this model. GLAD I DID! I've made half a dozen batches so far and i'm pleased to say this works better than the salt/ice machine. A few comments:

First, it's easier to do, and doesnt take any guessing on how much ice to salt than the traditional ice/salt machine. THer'es no messy clean up of salt and/or ice off the counter/floor, either.

Second, it's quicker than advertised. While eveything says 20-25 minutes, i have yet to have a batch take longer than 15 minutes.

Third, I did not have to turn my freezer down to the lowest setting either (i was concerned about wasting energy just for this!). I have it on a "5" out of "9" settings, and it's fine. I stuck the canister in the back, on the bottom shelf--which I assume is the coldest place. Just make sure the recipe you use is VERY cold before you throw it into the machine. (i often put it in the freezer for 30 min before i make ice cream). ANother tip: put the exterior clear casing into the freezer for a while before making the ice cream--it just helps insulate the canister all the more when it's turning.)

Fourth, it's the quietest ice cream machine i've heard. No, you cant hear a pin drop in the other room, but i use it in the kitchen and can comfortably watch TV in my adjacent family room without having to adjust the volume at all. I can hear the machine churing, but it doesnt get in the way of hearing the TV.

Fifth, so why 4 stars instead of 5? Her'es the only downside of the frozen canister v. salt/ice machines. Scooping the finished ice cream out of the heavy and awkward-to-handle canister and into a container for freezing, is challenging. The canister, understandably, is VERY cold. It seems off balance as you try to do this, too. And if you wait more than a moment, the ice cream quickly starts to freeze hard to the canister, so a rubber spatula (never use metal or you'll scratch the canister!), cant scrape the hardened ice cream off the sides very easily.

Overall, GREAT ice cream maker. THe quality of the ice cream is good, with a nice, smooth texture.
2121 comments| 2,159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2017
I've had this ice cream maker for about 6 years. It still works and makes fantastic ice cream. The recipe in the owners manual for vanilla ice cream is HEAVEN. there are a few things about this ice cream maker which I think could be improved, and maybe on newer models they are, but these are what reduces this review by one star.

First the bowl is not dishwasher safe. I will tell you I did put it in the dishwasher once. The dish soap made a reaction to the aluminum on the inside of the bowl. If you do this, wiping it down with hydrogen peroxide seem to help, and I've washed it by hand ever since. I feel like in this day and age, there is no reason to not make kitchen tools dishwasher safe. The paddle and cover can be washed in the dishwasher which brings me to reason 2.

The cover on the machine is cheap. Mine has a big crack up the side. I can not recall how it happened, I never dropped it or anything, but it's just too thin so treat it very gingerly. That being said, it still works perfectly, it's just a little more awkward now.

Those are really the only two drawbacks about this particular machine I have noticed. Now you have to freeze the bowl for about 24 hours in advance, but that's just the type of ice cream maker this is. There are other refrigerated systems that do not require that, but they are in a much higher price range. I have a deep freezer so I"m really never short on the freezer space, but if you only have a micro-fridge, this might be a deal breaker for you.

The recipes tend to be too much volume for this ice cream maker. I always have about 1/2 cup of ice cream overflowing from the top. It gets kind of messy. If you can, make the recipes in two separate batches or try to do it on a day when your humidity is nonexistent. The higher the humidity the more it overflows.

Overall I"m completely satisfied with this purchase. If this did ever break down, I would probably buy this one again. It's a solid ice cream maker and the few drawbacks are not a big enough deal that it would sway me from buying this all over again if I had to do it over.
on December 3, 2013
I bought this because I could not find decent ginger ice cream. I found lots of complaints about ALL of the machines that use this technology, and, after making a few dozen batches I think I can review it and address some of those complaints.

The machine, it works. It makes ice cream, not cold goo, but like any machine, you have to use it right and put in the right materials. It also helps to have realistic and complete instruction, which seems to be lacking.

1. The freezing cylinder has to be really actually frozen. Jacking your freezer to 11 helps. Putting it where the freezy air blows right on it helps too. Flexible cold packs (already froze) seem to help when you roll them up and stick them inside, too, but that could be my wishful thinking, as I haven't yet timed it.
2. The mix needs to be cold. No, colder. Colder than that. Really, I mean it. Refrigeration is not enough. I stick mine in the freezer and check every half hour or so until it just begins to get gritty looking. Having a fast thermometer helps, too. I usually churn at about 26 degrees or below. Vanilla (and ginger) need churning to start at higher temperatures or it ends up crunchy, at least for me, but chocolate can get to 19 degrees before I see any appreciable crystal growth and so chocolate comes out almost perfectly tempered. YMMV.
3. The clear plastic cover doesn't do much, thermally, so cover it with a fluffy towel or some other insulating thing. Make sure you don't cover the base up as well, or you might overheat. This allows the cylinder to stay colder longer and give up more of its cold to the ice cream (I know that's thermoblasphemy, but this isn't a physics text), getting the final result colder and closer to actual ice cream. Makes less noise that way, too.
4. Cover the blowhole. I use a custard cup. Keeps cold in and stray dragon poop out.
5. Don't be afraid to stick a spatula in to help it out from time to time, but in general when the ice cream stops moving you've gone as far as the machine can take you. Check frequently after the first twenty minutes or so, especially if you use a thermometer - as soon as the decline stalls, you've run out of cold.
6. The bowl you chilled the mix in, keep it in the freezer. When the machine is finished put the paddle, laden with ice cream and impossible to scrape clean without a tongue (design flaw or cunning plan?) in the cold bowl, scrape the rest into the bowl, clean off the paddle and then take your cold bowl of still slightly soft but not runny ice cream and divide it up or devour it or smear it on the windows or whatever it is you do with it. I try not to judge. But a bit of freezer time will get you a firmer product.

Extra freezer inserts could be cheaper. I hope you are listening, Mr. Cuisinart.
66 comments| 434 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2017
Please look at the warranty info before you purchase this unit. I NEVER leave negative reviews, but this will be the exception. Cuisinart has the WORST return policy and customer service! I'm so sad because we had an ice cream maker from them before that we LOVED. We just received this one, and we tried to use it once, and the chemical smell coming out of the motor was terrible as soon as we started it. It smelled up our entire house, giving us all headaches. The unit was clearly defective. No big deal, I thought. I would just let them know, and they would replace it. That's the way it's supposed to work, right? WRONG. If you have a issue with the unit during the warranty period, YOU have to pay $10 to ship it to them, and then another $10 for them to ship you the replacement. Who wants to spend another $20 on a brand new product? I was shocked at what a terrible warranty they offered. My fault for not researching it. I just assumed the company would stand behind its product. I will be contacting Amazon and returning this item.
review image
on February 28, 2017
I got Jim an ice cream machine for Valentine's Day - 🍦- he had mentioned several times how he wanted to make homemade ice cream.
🍦
This is so easy - the ice cream is so delicious!
🍦 🍦
Jim just got home after a long day - and this 6'5" guy is hungry, hungry, hungry - I had him try the ice cream while I made his favorite Shrimp Pad Thai with Chipotle Peanuts dish - he tried the ice cream - his eyes rolled and he immediately sat on the kitchen counter with a spoon and proceeded to eat half the container.
🍦 🍦 🍦
I found the recipe in Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts by DK Publishing - I made banana and also strawberry ice cream. He is loving the banana!
🍦 🍦 🍦 🍦
You guys - home made ice cream is the bomb!
You can make ice cream, yogurt, slushies...... I'm eyeing that bottle of wine in the fridge

This was worth the investment and we are looking forward to experimenting. This machine is very easy to use and clean.
review image
on November 11, 2017
Cuisinart ICI-21 review: first of all I learned a lot from my first ice cream creation attempt. We all know I am impatient, so upon receipt of said ice cream maker I washed my ice cream tub and immediately put it in the freezer to chill. This morning my husband reluctantly assisted me in our first attempt at homemade ice cream because I refuse to buy store bought because oftentimes I cannot pronounce the ingredients and that is unacceptable. Also, you know how I feel about preparing food everyone can eat including my friends with a peanut or nut allergy, and this solves my challenge there. There is zero chance of cross contamination or “on shared equipment”. My first creation is chocolate ice cream infused with salted caramel and milk chocolate and graham crackers to give a nut like crunch, end result; something seemingly identical to rocky road ice cream, in color, taste, smell. Heavenly you guys, you must try this maker! I did not want to freeze my recipe before hand, and this machine gives you a two hour chill cheat and it still turned out with the consistency of gallon ice cream ready to scoop onto a cone! #EvilGoodness. I put the ice cream in the freezer to just firm it up and let it rest, now I’m looking for a cone recipe!
on September 12, 2014
(The video shows the Cuisinart ICE-21 making ice cream and frozen yogurt at 15, 20 and 25 minute intervals. Note that the sound is not as loud as it seems on the video and that these recipes were very cold before putting them in the machine. The peach ice cream had no recipe [just playing around with ingredients], but the lemon frozen yogurt came from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams book. Also, the tub was frozen below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for 24 hours)

After trying out 3 of the most popular ice cream makers, I highly recommend purchasing the Cuisinart ICE-21, which has a plastic body and has a suggested retail of $60. Despite it's lower price and less fancy body, it blows the other units away!

Below I compare it to the Cuisinart ICE-30BC, which has the stainless steel body and retails for $90, and the Kitchenaid Ice Cream Attachment which retails for $80 (obviously they are all cheaper on Amazon).

To start off, don't even bother with the Kitchenaid - its tub doesn't freeze hard enough to effectively freeze your ice cream and you will end up with ice cream soup no matter how cold you get the tub. Also, the dasher stops churning the ice cream after about 15 minutes and the ice cream attaches to the dasher and spins around the bowl in one big chunk. It's also extremely overpriced at $80 for just the tub.

Now, for the Cuisinart units. The plastic unit (Cuisinart ICE-21) is far superior to the stainless steel unit (Cuisinart ICE-30BC), which is unexpected since it is the lower priced model. The stainless steel unit is much louder, takes way longer, produces inferior ice cream, and leaves a thick layer of hardened (wasted) cream on the bottom and sides. Let me explain.

First, both of the Cuisinart units are loud, but the stainless unit is so much louder and high-pitched and irritating, while the plastic unit has a tolerable hum. You can carry on a conversation with the plastic unit nearby, but not the stainless one.

Second, the stainless unit is slower. It takes 50 minutes to get 1 quart of ice cream hard, while the plastic unit only takes 25 minutes for 1 quart (both using very, very cold ice cream mix). The difference is in the dasher. The plastic unit has an improved, patented dasher that churns the cream much faster. Since Cuisinart makes both of these machines, I can't figure out why they wouldn't put the fast dasher in the stainless unit as well, but they didn't.

Third, ice cream from the plastic unit is also superior. The plastic unit makes ice cream that is much more frozen and solid, while the stainless unit just doesn't seem to have the same freezing power. I also discovered that when the ice cream is churned for a long time (as it has to be in the stainless unit), the fat in the cream starts to get weird and you end up with ice cream that leaves a fatty film on the roof of your mouth and your spoon. Ick. Almost like whipping cream too long and making butter. However, the plastic unit is fast enough that this problem is avoided.

Fourth, the stainless unit's dasher isn't big enough to make contact with the walls of the tub and leaves quite a gap where ice cream gets lodged and eventually hardens into a solid, thick layer. Not only is this a waste of ice cream, but it also contributes to the stainless unit's slower freeze times by essentially creating a barrier between the churning cream and the frozen tub wall. As I'm sure you're catching on, you might guess that the plastic unit doesn't have this problem, and you'd be right! In the video it looks like there is ice cream coated on the wall of the tub, but it's actually really easy to scrape off. The kind of build up I'm talking about has to be chiseled off with a sharp plastic tool (no metal tools so as to not damage the tub's delicate membrane) and is just one more downside of using the stainless steel model.

The stainless steel unit may be appealing because it has a capacity of 2 quarts, while the plastic unit advertises a 1 1/2 quart capacity. However, in my experience neither Cuisinart unit is capable of freezing the quantity advertised. Using the recipes included with each machine produced so much ice cream that they both overflowed out the top before even being done freezing. While the cream in the lower part of the tub continued to freeze and churn, the overflow at the top just sat there and eventually melted back into liquid. This was pretty disappointing to me b/c making ice cream requires some labor, and I wanted to be able to make at least 2 quarts at a time, and the tub can only be used once and then has to be put back in the freezer to get cold again.

The solution for me was to buy a second freezing tub for the plastic unit and make two back to back quarts. The first batch takes 25 minutes, then you just swap out the tub and make the next batch in another 25 minutes. Overall it takes about 50 minutes and you actually get 2 quarts of very frozen ice cream, while using the stainless unit takes 50 minutes for just one batch and you have to deal with the above mentioned downsides. Plus, you can use the second tub to make a different kind of ice cream if you want. Amazingly, the cost of the stainless unit by itself (retail $90) is the same as the plastic unit PLUS a spare freezing tub (retail $60+$30). To me that's a much better deal!

So in summary, I highly recommend the Cuisinart ICE-21. It's superior in every way and costs less too!
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I got this to make Sorbets mainly because we LOVE Sorbet! When I bought this, I also bought a recipe book for Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt and once for Sorbet <in Kindle form> so I'd have a few recipes to check out.
I was so excited when this arrived yesterday, I went straight out and got Strawberries and Pineapples to make a sorbet. It took me more time to let the syrup mixture cool then anything else! But it was so easy to do. I just took a tiny little taste of the finished sorbet, and it is AWESOME!!!

Here's the Pineapple Strawberry Sorbet recipe I used: Make sure your freezer bowl is frozen before starting <mine took 3 hours>

2 Cups Strawberries, core and cut into pieces <not too small...I quartered my berries>
2 Cups Pineapple Chunks <I got it in the can - only because we didn't have any fresh in stock at the store>
1 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup of Water
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

**Pour the Sugar & Water in pot and put on stove on medium <5-6> and let it start a quiet boil, once boiling turn down to 1-2. Once your sugar is completely melted in <no granules>, take off the stove and let it cool. <All together this should take 5-10 minutes>. After the pan is cooled off, I put mine in the refrigerator for an hour. You want the sugar water to be cool before putting in your machine.
Take your cut Strawberries, Pineapple, Honey & Lemon Juice and put all in a blender and pulse until it's creamy. Add the sugar water syrup and blend a little more. Make sure it's creamy - unless you want a chunky sorbet!

**Pour the entire mixture into the FROZEN Freezer Bowl. Place paddle inside making sure the "nub" on the bottom fits into the small hole it's meant to go in. Place the top on the machine and make sure it's in the lock position. Turn on your machine.
I let mine spin for an hour. It was still very "liquid y" but it was starting to gel on the paddle. I took the freezer bowl <w/out the top and paddle of course> and put a plastic cover over it and put it in the freezer. I let it freeze from 9pm last night until 2pm this afternoon, without disturbing it. It was solid when I took it out of the freezer, but also soft. The top looked like glass!

I took a tea spoon and grabbed a little bit to taste and it really is delicious! I've never used an ice cream/yogurt/sorbet maker before and have never seen anyone else use one, so this is very new to me. It appears to be very easy to do, and you can make some really yummy deserts! Grab a cookbook or look online for recipes...there's thousands of them out there I'm sure. Experiment and make your own recipes!
In my opinion, this is an AMAZING Ice Cream/Yogurt/Sorbet maker, even with only making Sorbet first! I will definitely be making other goodies as time permits!
I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again if mine were to break or just get old. The price is great and it's easy to use. What more could you ask for?!
on August 23, 2017
We love making frozen goodies. Especially when our peaches & berries come in.
This is an awesome little machine & it is so much easier than trying to figure out
what to do with all the salt rock (we are on sepitc so can't just dump in sink).
Only small issue was having to cut all my recipes in half. Made the mistake
the first time of overfilling it & ended up with a sticky mess. I'll he ordering
a couple more freezer bowls when the grandkids come out to visit! This thing
is a keeper!