Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Carrie Underwood All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

Cuisinart ICE-70 Electronic Ice Cream Maker, Brushed Chrome
Color: Ice Cream Maker with Countdown Timer|Style Name: Ice Cream Maker with Countdown Timer|Change

Showing 1-10 of 362 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 391 reviews
on September 18, 2015
I have had the Cuisinart 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker but was finding recipes to try that were more than it could handle. Enter the 2-quart Cuisinart programmable Ice Cream Maker. What a dream!!! If you are in to making homemade ice cream, this machine has your name on it. Easy to operate and clean and the end product will having you asking why you didn't do it sooner. I also bought a second freezer container so I can make 2 different flavors back-to-back.
review imagereview image
0Comment| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 2, 2016
I'm going to be critical in this review. Take it or leave it.

I purchased the Cuisinart ICE-21 for $49.41 in July, 2014. I was happy with it, and I had absolutely no issues except for enjoying too much ice cream. I gave it to a friend, which is why I no longer have it.

When I decided to reacquire an ice cream maker a little while ago, I wanted a Cuisinart. I figured, why not get the slightly bigger one with extra buttons despite the ICE-60W costing twice as much at $118.98 in April, 2016.

About a month ago, I used the ICE-60W for the first time. (See photo of the perfect ice cream.) Its operation was essentially the same as the ICE-21. I stood nearby watching it churn the ice cream. I discovered that it starts beeping a few times after a certain length of time passes. For some reason, I was misunderstood in thinking that it would stop after a pre-configured time had elapsed. It does not. I suppose that if the ice cream wasn't finished, it could be annoying if it stopped on its own. But then, I could easily push the start button again if I need prolonged churning due to ambient temperatures or due to the container being not as chilled as it should be. I would prefer beeps, and then automatic ceasing of churning.

Today, I made my favorite: faux matcha ice cream. I create green tea powder by putting cheap sencha green tea leaves in a coffee grinder (not used for coffee), and sieve the powder to remove the hard stems and such. This then goes into the standard vanilla recipe. (For why I call this faux matcha ice cream, ask Dr. Google or check out the page on matcha on Wiki. Good, expensive matcha powder should not go in ice cream, unless if money grows on trees for you.) While listening for the machine to start beeping, I was a few rooms away. I heard the first set of beeps, and I went to check on it a few minutes later.

Since I got the ICE-60W, I've been wondering why there's a drain hole at the bottom of the main body where it receives the chilled container. I found out why today. Ice cream expands as it's churning, which totally makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is why Cuisinart didn't make this machine bigger. Even after following the vanilla ice cream recipe from Cuisinart, the ice cream overflowed outside the chilled container and made a mess. Had I been standing nearby, I would have been able to stop the machine before it got too messy. The photo doesn't show all of the mess, by the way. The clear plastic lid was caked on the inside.

Of course, this mess is not the end of the world. I've been in much stickier situations in my life. ;) But now that my future plan is to use the Cuisinart ice cream recipe for the 1.5 quart ICE-21 machine, my question is, "why did I pay double of what the ICE-21 costs to make the same amount of ice cream?"

Here's another design issue. In essence, the mechanism of how the clear plastic lid secures to the body is the same between the ICE-60W and ICE-21. The machine turns the chilled container, and the gray churning piece in the ice cream ingredients in the chilled container turns the plastic piece which has three little knobs, forcing the knobs into notches on the top of the body, and holding it all in place during operation. I don't remember ever having issues with the ICE-21, but with the ICE-60W, the clear plastic part does not want to go into place very easily. Without the clear plastic part secured, the gray churning piece does not remain in proper alignment.

If I paid double for the ICE-60W, shouldn't the machine be at least twice as better or smarter, make twice as much ice cream, or last twice as long? Durability seems to be about the same between the two, the ICE-60W only makes 0.5 quart more ice cream than the ICE-21 (if you're willing to make a mess from overflow), and forget the Gelato mode or the Sorbet mode because all it does is turn at different speeds. You can make the ICE-21 work.

At today's price ($114.98 vs. $49.92), you're better off buying an ICE-21 for yourself and a second ICE-21 for your neighbor, save $10, and borrow your neighbor's ICE-21 when you want to make more than 1.5 quarts of ice cream. With this, you could have 1.5 quarts each of two different flavors. I, on the other hand, would only ever have one flavor, although I must say, the faux matcha ice cream is pretty tasty. :D
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1919 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 19, 2017
I've used this four or five times now for both sorbet and ice cream. Freezes fast and not particularly noisy. Definitely worth the money. Very easy to understand, very easy to clean. I make a batch, rinse out the freezer bucket and put it back in my freezer ready for next time. Ice cream takes about 20-25 minutes, sorbet about 40. This is the best if you don't want to spend the money on a unit with a compressor.
on December 27, 2017
Wow do we love this little machine. Our friends had one and "churned" the ice cream while we ate dinner. It makes the perfect amount for 4-6 people. We now keep the ingredients for good old vanilla or coffee ice cream on hand so whenever it strikes our fancy we whip some up. And I love that you don't have to use ice or salt! All you have to do is keep the bowl stored in the freezer for instant use. Perfect for when the grandchildren come by.
on October 6, 2017
This was a gift for my husband. He now makes a lot of ice cream. He did request this model and he had done his research. He has had to play with it a little, to figure out the exact amount of his recipe to put in the maker. It probably was in the instructions but who reads those. :)
on August 29, 2016
Extremely easy to us + clean up is quick--have not made any gelatos yet but the basic ice cream is very good--without the gums/stabilizers and additives of most commercial ice cream--high quality dark cocoa makes a big difference in the chocolate ice cream...
on April 2, 2017
outstanding best one I hve used
on September 14, 2015
I purchased this ice cream maker as a result of a review of ice cream makers on Tasting Table (http://tinyurl.com/nr8rj45). It was deemed the best of the ones tested. Indeed the product is great, but beware, it is loud.
on October 24, 2017
Sooooooooooo easy to use. I love ice cream, yet I have always wondered about ingredients. Now I can make my own, so fresh and natural, and come up with new flavors.
on May 28, 2015
My first home ice cream maker and aside from having a professional soft serve machine in my kitchen (of which exists only in my dreams) this machine is hands down impressing me each and every time. The first machine I ordered was defective in that the countdown timer did not beep when the cycle was done. Amazon exchanged the machine with zero hassle and the one that arrived works perfect.

As a vegan, not only are the store bought ice creams extremely expensive, flavor selection limited, and the added gum ingredients always destroy my stomach. Additionally I'm not a fan of carrageenan in my foods.

This ice cream maker allows me to use my homemade nut or seed milk, any store bought milk, I can add creamer or not add creamer to keep it lower in fat calories, and the recipes are endless. I've found the consistency of the ice cream depends on what milk type I use (almond, rice, hemp, cashew, soy etc) as well as how much creamer is used. However, the machine has yet to produce bad quality ice cream even if I challenge it with a thinner milk type (i.e. rice milk with no creamer). It consistently produces creamy, fluffy ice cream no matter what the recipe.

I can hear the ice cream maker when I'm in the next room. Its not obtrusively loud (slightly louder than my kitchen aid mixer) but the it only needs to be on for a short period of time (ie. 25 minutes for ice cream and longer if your premix has not cooled for a period of time)

There have been times when I did not pre-cool my mix and simply added cold milk, tapioca starch with a bit of creamer or coconut cream (other methods require boiling which would automatically need a cool period of a several hours) and the result is still good, but the consistency akin to a milkshake (which I have no problem devouring.)

All that being said, speaking for the non-dairy world, its super flexible and turns out creamy fluffy ice cream in a variety of milk types. I have not found it to get rock hard frozen when I transfer it to the freezer. I'm not a fan of rock hard ice cream and like that once I open the container my ice cream is fluffy and ready to eat.

Super easy to operate. Literally one button. You employ two buttons if feel you want to increase the churn time.
I haven't tried the sorbet setting yet because I was so happy with the ice cream output I couldn't stop making ice cream every day (yikes.) I am now ready to venture into non-dairy sorbets and can report back if anyone is interested.

*another reviewer stated their lid does not stay on and they tape it with duck tape. The lid is not designed to lock into a stabilized position. The instruction manual specifically states it is designed to be loose and there are a few reasons as to why. On both of the machines I've had, the lid is only slightly loose - (we're talking about movement of a few centimeters and once the machine starts its unnoticeable.)
33 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse