Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Culturelle Probiotic -- 30 Vegetarian Capsules
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: 30 Vcaps|Change

on August 9, 2016
This is the only probiotic I have found that works for me, and I’ve tried a handful of products.. that said, I have a very specific type of stomach issue, and when I went to my doctor he told me to try probiotics, but everyone’s stomach may need different strains of probiotics. For example, in Culurelle, it’s Locatobacillus GG, which particularly works GREAT for me. But my husband who has IBS and lactose intolerance needs a completely different probiotic strain. He actually takes this nice probiotic it works for him because it has 13 different strains and a high CFU count. I personally don’t need something that powerful, and I found that Culturelle works for me, but if you are unsure about the type of symptoms of the particular type of strain that might help, you might want to try something that has more strains to cover all your bases.

I noticed some pretty mixed reviews about Culturelle, which is why I think I needed to write this review in personal defense of it. It's possible that the reviewer with IBS did not take a dosage that would have helped that individual, also when you first start taking it, it can cause gas and problems (in the beginning) as the healthy flora develops. Just hang in there, it’s very natural process, and it takes awhile for those little helpers to colonize your gut! It takes three weeks to produce a healthy colony.

It wasn't until I started this product that I was really feeling normal – honestly, I didn’t know what normal meant until I realized there ‘could’ be a normal gut situation for myself. I know there reviews are mixed, but take it from me, this probiotic can help if you have my specific condition. If you’re at all worried that Lactobacillus GG isn’t going to help your particular ailment, please don’t waste your money, energy, and negativity trying this product. It’s entirely better to try something with more strains like my husband did, as getting relief will really change your life.

In summation, I have ongoing digestive problems and this helps a lot… It didn’t work for my husband nearly as well as it did for me, but I would recommend it for others to at least try it to see if it works for them.
review image
on October 25, 2009
I use this every day. So does my 55 year old husband, my 78 year old dad, my 98 year old friend and my 30 year old daughter in law. It seems to keep the digestive system on track. My husband is highly lactose intollerant, and he takes it with no problem. I notice my system feeling sluggish if I forget it for more than a day. It is most often used to treat constipation, but it seems to work equally well in preventing loose stools. It is convenient and easy to take. Take it any time of the day, with or without food. It doesn't need to be refrigerated, but I do keep each capsule in it's foil packet until I take it. I have tried cheaper products and they just do not work as well. I have tried more expensive ones and they do not work any better. Everyone I suggest it to becomes a fan of this product.
22 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2010
I will admit I had a rough start with this stuff. Really gassy and stomach pains for 3 weeks, but I stuck through it, and am so glad I did. It's really changed my day to day. I wanted to write a review, since most people just said they loved it right off the bat, it really took me a while, but definitely got my stomach in a routine and on track. I'm very grateful for this product.
33 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2010
I have scleroderma sine scleroderma, an autoimmune disease that primarily affects my gut. In addition to other fun symptoms, it causes my intestines to move (peristalsis) very slowly, producing episodes where I can't eat for up to a week because of intestinal pain, other nasty symptoms, and the possibility of being hospitalized.

The plan from my team of physicians? Reglan, Protonix, Cipro, Flagyl, and a diet with limited fat, dairy and fiber. I have followed the plan, resulting in limited success and some unpleasant side effects.

I then tried Chinese acupuncture and herbs and that helped a little, enough to get me off of Cipro and Flagyl. Things changed dramatically, though, after I read the book "The Probiotics Revolution" by Dr. Gary Huffnagle, a microbiologist and immunologist at UMich (The Probiotics Revolution: The Definitive Guide to Safe, Natural Health Solutions Using Probiotic and Prebiotic Foods and Supplements). I became convinced that probiotics could help my gut, and it has in a dramatic way! It's been about three years now since I started taking Culturelle every day and it's completely stopped the week-long episodes of pain and fasting. I've also been able to eat more dairy products, eat a little more fat, incorporate more fiber in my diet, and get rid of almost all the Rx I was taking. I now take a mix of Culturelle, Saccharomyces boulardii Jarrow Formulations Jarrow Sacharomyces Boulardii, 90 Capsules and Jarrow-dophilus + FOS Jarrow Formulations Jarrow Jarro-dophilus Eps, 120 Capsules.

Culturelle is definitely worth trying. I've shopped around (Walmart, RiteAid, Walgreens) and the Amazon price is the best I've seen. Believe me, it's much less expensive than almost all the drugs your doctor may prescribe to you! It's EXCELLENT for overall health and specifically for intestinal conditions.
44 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2010
I have been prone to IBS for many years. I first started taking this product while on a course of antibiotics at the recommendation of my doctor. My digestive tract felt so wonderful that I kept taking it for several more months. It's expensive, but I decided well worth it.

Then one day I popped open a new box. Within 2 days my old symptoms were back. After a week I decided to call the company. I was told to open a capsule and describe what I saw.

When I said "white powder with yellow clumps about the size of dry millet" the rep said this meant the bacteria had died off. (As I've since read at [....], this can happen if the product is exposed to heat above 90 degrees.) She suggested I return the product to the store.

I told her I didn't have the receipt, so she then suggested I send the box back to them and they would replace it. She advised however that they would NOT pay postage to return the product.

So now I have to hunt up a box to ship this in, and it is going to cost me a couple of dollars and a trip to the PO just to get what I've already paid for. I'm not happy about this - I had a similar experience with another nutritional company several years ago, and they sent me a postage-paid box in which to return the product.

I still recommend this product. The difference it has made in my digestive track has been nothing short of miraculous. But from now on I will open a capsule of each new box first and make sure it is still alive.
33 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2011
I suffered with IBS-D for over fourteen years. It was debilitating and got so bad that I could hardly leave my house without extreme anxiety. I had to know where every bathroom on the road was, didn't enjoy time out with friends, always worried. Doctors put me through many tests, tried out "drying up" drugs on me, just told me it was IBS and something I'd have to learn to live with. I read about Culturelle and it's specific probiotic (Lactobacillus GG) in Reader's Digest. They were saying that it had been studied quite a bit and seemed to really help people with IBS-D. Why not give it a try? The first couple of weeks of taking it I was a little more gassy than usual, felt a bit "off". Between 2-3 weeks, however, my whole body began to work correctly again. I have not had ANY, I repeat ANY bouts of "D" since I started taking Culturelle daily over a year ago. After 14 years of dealing with IBS-D I still get nervous when I leave my house, but just keep realizing that my nightmare seems to have ended. I seriously have my life back and would encourage anyone with IBS-D to at least give this a shot. I think that perhaps taking too many antibiotics over the years killed my good bacteria and this was all that my guts really needed to become happy again. It changed my life. I can't guarantee that for everyone, but like I said... worth a try!! :)
on October 30, 2011
I suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which was at one point so severe I no longer believed that anything could provide relief. I endured constant, terrible cramping, bloating, and loss of bowel control, and was frankly miserable! I had never taken a probiotic, when I came across information about Culturelle in a magazine article. I was willing to try anything and, after going to their website and reading more about probiotics and their role in restoring healthy bacteria in the digestive tract, I hurried out and bought a box of Culturelle. I couldn't believe it--after just three days, I was so greatly improved I could eat normally again, sleep through the night without "episodes", and go to work pain-free! I have read in some of the other reviews that the benefits wore off, but they have not done so in my case, and I have now been taking Culturelle for almost a year. I can't praise this product enough. I feel as though it saved my life! I will definitely be taking this from now on. I'm thrilled that it's available on Amazon, as it can be a bit high-priced in the stores, though I would gladly pay and do without something else for such a life-saver!
on July 16, 2005
After years battling systemic yeast infections, my doctor recommend culturelle and it has helped a great deal. This is much better than the kind that needs refrigeration.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2013
I totally love Culturelle! I read that a study with mice showed that those given probiotic bacteria similar to the ones in Culturelle had less anxiety and more stress tolerance than a control group, so since I've struggled with anxiety I decided to try it. What a difference! I would say it took between 2 and 3 weeks to become really noticeable, but now I feel calmer, happier, and more sociable and outgoing. No more antidepressants for me! I don't know if it will work for everyone, but for me anyway, this has a better, more upbeat affect than antidepressants, plus it improves digestion, strengthens immunity, and reduces systemic inflammation among other things. I'm thrilled!
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2013
I have had intestinal issues for a very long time. The first time I went to the doctor about it, he told me to eat more green leafy vegetables...I am a vegetarian and wasnt quite sure how I could eat any more vegetables! I had the colonoscopy, the endoscopy...luckily, no issues. My gastro doc started my on psyllium fiber and Miralax. I did those two together every single night for a year and suffered from so much bloating and still was not regular. Then the clerk at the healthfood store told me about probiotics. THe next time I was at Costco, I picked up a box of Culturelle and immediatley stopped the psyllium/Miralax combo. That was three months ago and I have been regular with no bloating ever since. It truly is absolutely wonderful. I never thought I would find a resolution. I am so grateful for Culturelle.