Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 356 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 523 reviews
on July 15, 2016
I've recently came to the conclusion that I am a natural born witch. However, I had no idea where to start. Googling only directed me to shady "spell" sites but I wanted to learn more. I wanted to understand how to cast a spell and wanted a guide that helped me from the beginning. Well, this book is it. I learned how to make a satchet and learned which planets were associated with what herbs and much more. This book is perfect for a complete newbie. For experienced witches this might be a bit boring, but it doesn't hurt to have since it has info on hundreds of herbs. It's a nice book to have. I love it!!! 5 stars for sure.
on April 11, 2017
I was first acquainted with this book when it first came out decades ago. As with any book of it's type, it is a reference, not a spell book. It gives you the historical lore, planetary rulers, male/female, etc. What you do with the book is match it up with other references so that you get a full depth as to what the herb will do. It was never meant to be an indepth volume spilling every secret of the plant out. This is where study and research are involved. Anyone that has been involved with the study of the occult knows that not everything is always spelled out. That is what makes the difference between the novice who gets in over their head and can hurt themselves with the information, and the adept who realizes that time and effort and experience is required to obtain the desired results. If you're willing to dig and study, you will find this book a true gem.
on September 7, 2016
Awesome reference book for everything herbal. This book has come in handy so many time while making soaps, lotions, or tinctures. We still have it on the shelf in the dining room. It's a must have for an herbal life.
on March 12, 2017
What can I say, that is any different from other reviews?? This book, is indeed, the BEST book to own and a must have! I use it every time, esp when I am doing any candle work or baths! I'm constantly referring to it, as I'm usually making some changes! It is my "go to" book! And, the author makes it so easy to read and understand! This book has helped me to protect my family and myself, from destruction, sent by an in-law. I was so new to this subject, and afraid, but I had no choice but to learn how to protect us. Scott Cunningham has helped me in so many ways, I can't thank him enough!
on February 26, 2016
This has been a super useful book for all sorts of kitchen and alchemical magic that I've done. I like that it has different correspondence charts as well as a very comprehensive encyclopedia. I got it used and it came in very good condition.
VINE VOICEon February 12, 2010
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham is book that can be used in many different areas under the umbrellas of Spiritualism and Religion. From aromatherapy to making incense, herbal sachets, herbal baths and herbal teas, this book is the key to choosing the right ingredients. Containing over 400 herbs, this book can be used for hundred, even thousands of different combinations for everyday use. The book is divided into three sections. The first being an introduction to the magical properties of herbs, and how can use these properties to their highest potential. The second, and most important section, lists the herbs.

Every herb listing contains a black-and-white sketch of the herb, the scientific name, gender of the plant, the planet and element associated, magical powers the plant possesses, and magical uses. With most, but not all herbs, other common names associated with the herb are listed. Each listing is sorted alphabetically making it easy to quickly find a plant. The only drawback that I can find to this book is that not all listings tell which part of the plant to use. However, with many leafy plants, the leaves, stems, flowers and seeds can be used so it is not a major drawback.

The final section to this book contains charts sorting all of the herbs. The lists include both masculine and feminine plants, the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, mars, Jupiter and Saturn, the four Elements, and the magical purposes such as luck, money, love, etc. The final list has the colors white, green, brown, pink, red, yellow, purple, blue and orange, along with the magical purposes associated with each color.

Each of the three sections work together to take readers through the process of choosing plants based on the magical purposes, and how to use them to their fullest potential. If readers are looking for a book about plants, and the magical purposes each plant has, this is the book. I give Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs 4 out of 5 stars.
on April 13, 2016
I am on my first read of this book. I selected it because I read his other book, Earth, Air, Fire, and Water and wanted more information on herbs. I've been using essential oils for quite some time and they are expensive (I use a company that is fair trade, organic, and very mindful of gathering herbs from sustainable sources). So I thought getting to the full herb would be helpful.

I will be purchasing an additional compendium or encyclopedia in order to counter reference the safety of using the herbs, considering this book was published in 1985 and 2000 with no indication of any changes to the information in 2000. I don't want to work with an herb that is dangerous. If anyone can recommend a recently published collection of herbs, I would most appreciate it!
on February 22, 2016
I love Cunningham's books, they have lots of information and it's very easy to understand.
Great for beginners or just curious people looking to work with herbs.
on April 18, 2017
I have a huge herb garden and bought this to find more to add. Now I just need to make water magically appear :) A must have for herbalists.
on April 16, 2017
Bought this item to help me figure out natural remedies for things as opposed to medicine, and to see what items used in the Wiccan Culture and why, like what natural powers an item possesses. its designed like a cookbook and is very informational.