- Hardcover: 328 pages
- Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing (February 2, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1634504011
- ISBN-13: 978-1634504010
- Product Dimensions: 6.1 x 1.4 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 41 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #134,127 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.75 shipping
Cured by Nature: How to Heal from the Inside Out, Find Happiness, and Discover Your True Self Hardcover – February 2, 2016
|New from||Used from|
Top 20 lists in Books
View the top 20 best sellers of all time, the most reviewed books of all time and some of our editors' favorite picks. Learn more
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"You can revolutionize your life based on Tara Mackey's experiences in Cured by Nature. Tara's raw, personal story of dealing with tough family circumstances and a dependence on pharmaceuticals, carving out a natural life through positive thoughts, and developing an appreciation for green beauty is a great read and illuminating."-Tony Conrad, Founding Partner at True Ventures and Co-Founder & CEO of about.me
"The best way to get healthy this year!" -San Diego Living
"A unique combination of scientific facts and personal anecdotes... Tara challenges readers to change their lives with simple daily thought patterns and practices that result in a more vibrant, happy life. With her easy to use tools and mindful practices, holistic health is accessible and attainable!" -Nicolle Mackinnon, writer and editor at No More Dirty Looks
"Tara has quite literally taken her life back by listening to her body and taping into the truly awesome healing powers of nature. This is a must-read for anyone who is sick of treating symptoms andready to make long-lasting lifestyle changes for wellness."-Adina Grigore, founder of S.W. Basics and author of Skin Cleanse
"From being well to living well, Tara provides practical tools for achieving wholeness along her journey to true healing, happiness and self-discovery. With complete authenticity and raw vulnerability, Tara shows us how we, too, can be cured by nature."-Brandie Gilliam, founder, Thoughtfully Magazine and Organic Beauty Talk
"Tara straight-talks you through every area of life. Cured by Nature explodes with raw truth and power. For everyone who's trying to live their dreams. Be prepared: you'll finish this book a better version of yourself. Enthralling and empowering. No book has transformed my life more."
"Compelling and action inspiring - people at every age can experience the deep knowledge and wisdom her rich story effortlessly delivers on her powerful, holistic journey to radiant health and happiness. Tara is one of this generation's great Wellness leaders!"-Josh Rosebrook, Founder of Josh Rosebrook Skin & Haircare
"Part personal journey, part health advice, Mackey's book expands from her blog, The Organic Life, and delves into ways to heal the body and the mind. Readers who enjoy either the memoir aspect of a woman who heals herself, or those looking for some tested natural and noninvasive remedies will enjoy this." -Booklist
About the Author
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Top customer reviews
1. Todd Cooper, author of the book's foreword, noted that Tara wrote this book in three months - and, unfortunately, it shows. The quality of writing is low, there are multiple grammar and formatting mistakes, and the hierarchy of headings makes absolutely no sense. The manuscript needed rounds and rounds of edits before it could be released to print, and should have not seen the light of day in its current version. But the most disturbing is the haphazard, jump-around-with-no-clear-linearity timeline. This alone makes the reader very confused and doubtful of the story's account. For example, Tara writes about starting DIM supplement while still in New York to improve her skin acne condition, and how she "saw results overnight!". Yet after her move to California, we read about horrible cystic acne that plagued her for months, until she discovered bentonite clay and "saw results overnight!". So did DIM not work as well as described? Anyone who knows anything about natural remedies will tell you "results overnight" is probably not going to happen, and this book has multiple instances of claiming such outcomes. It is simply an exaggeration of what is possible, and ultimately just not true. It is alarming to see such misleading information in a published book.
2. Pigtailing on that, this book has limitations in audience. If you eat nothing but junk, have never sat for 5 minutes in quiet introspection, or never as much as put some clay on your face, you may find this book useful. For those of you out there who have any simplest idea of how to make a kale smoothie, can get your hands on an app with 5-minute guided meditations, and have tried as much as putting some coconut oil in your hair - this book is completely useless. It is EXTREMELY RUDIMENTARY! I follow Bulletproof, ReWild Yourself, and other podcasts, eat Paleo, meditate daily, read Ruiz and Strauss, and make a few basic home beauty concoctions based on a simple essential oils guide book. If you do any of those or similar things, you know more already than this book will tell you, and it will add none to your arsenal.
To sum up: while portraying a remarkable personal story, this book needs many rounds of edits before it reaches publishable quality, and will add no knowledge for you if you've dabbled into green lifestyle at all. This book's intro claims it will "change your life" and help you become "happier and better you". It won't. I greatly regret the money I spent on the hard copy.
Having struggled on and off with depression and anxiety since my teenage years, I've cycled on and off different medications always stopping because I hated the side effects. Cured by Nature gives practical advice on how to utilize natural alternatives for a variety of issues from depression, anxiety, skin issues and pain among some others. The suggested herbs, teas and products are easily accessible (especially with Amazon) and won't break the bank. This book is extremely well written and explains everything at a variety of levels which I found extremely helpful. Tara's science background allows her to explain how and why things work in our bodies but at a level that everyone can understand. The book is broken out into chapters and written in a way that one can easily go back and reference specific information. I know I will be referencing this book in the future.
I would suggest this book to anyone who's looking to improve their lives. I will continue to incorporate more of the suggestions in this book into my daily life. I have suggested this book to a number of friends who are also in a similar stage in their lives.