Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 72 reviews
Mandy Tanner has turned in her river guiding paddle for a job as a river ranger in her native Salida, Colorado. That's why she is on hand when a raft goes over a dangerous rapids sideways, tipping out all the people on board. Mandy rushes in to save two of the passengers, only to have one of them die on her when she gets him back to shore.

The dead man is Tom King, a rich developer. The trip was with the rafting company that Mandy's uncle owns, and Tom's widow is intent on suing Mandy's uncle, a prospect that would destroy his business.

Then comes word that Tom might have been murdered. Now Mandy is determined to find the killer and clear her uncle's reputation once and for all. But can she find the killer?

I love rafting (although I've never gone any big rapids), so I was looking forward to this book from the moment I heard about it. Mandy was a good guide into a world I am unfamiliar with. I liked her, most of the time. I felt some of her reactions to her boyfriend weren't fair to him, although I could see her side of things. But I really did like her and felt that those sub-plots were resolved well by the end.

The plot of the book started out rather slowly and could have been tighter. While I enjoyed some of the passages about life on the river and Mandy's job, I didn't feel they were really forwarding the story. As the book progressed, the story began to take center stage more and it all resolved for a great climax.

While all the books in this series won't be focused on river rafting, I am excited to see what other outdoor sports will be covered. I definitely plan another trip to Colorado with Mandy.
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2012
I chose this book because I hoped to learn more about white-water rafting -- maybe not the best expectation for a novel. I came away with some better understanding of the business and subculture around this sport (including the job descriptions of some of the folks who run tours), but not as much as I hoped to learn about rafting and white-water situations. Terms used were not usually explained. Nevertheless, it was a fun read, if a bit slow.
on June 4, 2011
Warning: This review could include spoilers.

I have to admit I'm not really a water person. I don't even like to soak in a bath. My idea of enjoying the water is listening to it babble in brooks and writing insipid poetry about it.

But that didn't keep me from being sucked under by this book and becoming totally immersed in learning about white water rafting and the people who are involved in it. I immediately liked the protagonist, and though I was a bit suspicious of the love interest for awhile, I'm sure that was intentional, and by the end, I approved of the relationship. I took longer than usual to figure out who the villain was, yet when I did figure it out, it was logical and believable. (I did suspect, but just couldn't let go of my favorite pick for the role.)

In short, this is an action-filled and involving mystery with believable characters in an interesting setting that most of us have little or no experience with. I recommend it for summer vacation reading.
Beth Groundwater has written one strong mystery and her knowledge of whitewater rafting and river lore brings her Colorado setting to life.

No matter how strong the mystery or how vivid the setting, I am a character-driven reader, and I have to admit that I had a couple of problems with Mandy Tanner. For one thing, she's too emotionally immature for me. She blew up at the slightest provocation even before the second death in the book. She's also one of the clumsiest investigators I've ever seen. Out of that long suspect list, I don't think there's a one of 'em that she didn't antagonize. Last but not least, there's a killer on the loose and she's going around town making everyone furious, but Mandy is very lackadaisical about getting that large broken window fixed in her house.

As good as the mystery and setting are, it will probably be a while before I read further into this series. Mandy simply didn't make a good first impression.
on March 4, 2012
For me, Deadly Currents was one of those books that I finished merely because I had started it (and I hate not finishing what I've started!) Mandy just wasn't a character I could warm up to and the story was saved simply because of the beautiful river setting and descriptions. Just an okay read.
on February 19, 2012
This book is one of many mysteries I have read lately in which the female heroine is justified in immature, irrational, annoying behavior because of some previous trauma (her parents died, her sister was raped, her brother was kidnapped, her baby died, etc.). In addition to taking unnecessary risks, she quarrels with every single person with whom she has a relationship, because they do not treat her with the respect she thinks she deserves. After an argument, she rushes off alone to confront a killer but is rescued at the last minute by one of the people she argued with, and everyone lives happily ever after. Having said all that, I suppose that one would not expect a white water rafter to engage in a lot of mature reflection on risk taking. Although the author had some trouble deciding how much detail to include in the local color, I did enjoy some of the rafting information, which set this book apart from others. Overall, a book that could have been a lot better.
on July 1, 2012
I love the water, lakes, rivers - boating, canoeing, paddle boating and this book was just not my cup of tea! I didn't care for Mandy, she wasted to much time trying to show off and never being who she really was. I didn't care for her attitude towards men (even her brother) at all. Why she had a dog I have no idea because she left it alone way too much.....took me over a week to wade through the book and when I had it finished I decided NEVER would I go water rafting under ANY circumstances!
on July 28, 2012
This is the first book in the RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery series. I would describe this as a light mystery, similar to a cozy. The plot was not too complicated, although there were many murder suspects throughout the story.

One thing that irked me was Mandy - the main character, and her obsession with violating police procedure during the murder investigation. At some point, I had to suspend my disbelief and just try to enjoy the rest of the story.
on March 1, 2012
If you're looking for a mildly entertaining who-dunnit and a light, fast read, you probably will enjoy this. I was attracted to the book due to the geographic setting and the park ranger focus. I'm not usually a mystery reader--mostly Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs--so I'm not a particularly good judge of the genre, but I will advise that I didn't find this book to be anything special.
on July 12, 2012
The Book will be loved by the white water rafting community of Colorado and tolerated by most thriller readers.
The Author obviously loves the setting and crams all kind of useful information down our throats.
The heroine is feisty and sometimes annoying.
The mystery just about passes muster.