YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on August 22, 2013
Custom Nation was an enlightening and fun read! I'm currently an economics and finance undergrad student and it never occurred to me until I read this book how integral customization is becoming for businesses. I was actually shocked my college classes hadn't explored the impact of customization on businesses! It's something that everyone does now without even realizing it. Furthermore, it is clear the authors researched the history of customization thoroughly. There are so many neat facts/tidbits and graphs about businesses and customization that I never would have imagined. Anthony Flynn doesn't preach the success of his own company in this book, he's sharing the key feature for businesses to succeed now. Custom Nation has countless impressive interviews from CEO's (Vistaprint, Zazzle, CafePress, etc.!) that it makes you truly realize and appreciate the importance of customization.

The book also explored the concept of customization from various perspectives, which made the book more enjoyable. For example, Flynn includes a neat experiment study and interview from Dan Ariely (someone who I was thrilled was in the book because I also had the pleasure of interviewing him myself for a term paper), a behavioral economist at Duke, on peoples' willingness to buy something after their own ideas have been imprinted within a good. Flynn has the ability to extrapolate studies such as these and explain them in simple terms for what they mean for customization.

If you have the entrepreneurship spirit, this book is definitely worth the read. Custom Nation isn't a "Customization for Dummies" or anything near it -- it's simply a brother and sister reporting on the revolutionary changes that are happening in every business field -- from food to fashion. I highly recommend everyone to check this book out, even if you aren't interested in managing a business.
on November 15, 2012
I've started two businesses in 2012 and therefore been consuming business books like it is my job, because basically it is!

And Custom Nation sets itself apart from and leads the pack! It is exceptionally well written and both makes the case for customization as the future of business, why this is the time for it, and how to get on board. Thanks to Emily and Anthony, I am now constantly thinking about how to incorporate the principles of customization into my current ventures, and my third business will be entirely customized!

I highly recommend this read to fellow entrepreneurs, investors, and customers!

Enjoy
on November 13, 2012
I got this book through pre-order and couldn't put it down! Custom Nation accomplishes something very rare for a "business book": it's both interesting and helpful. I love the way the authors trace the trends and history behind customization, providing fascinating insights into American consumer culture. The author's own story of starting up a custom business offers practical lessons and how-tos for budding entrepreneurs, people working in large companies, and any of us who are seeking more personal consumer experiences and products. A great gift and a great read. I plan to buy copies as gifts for several friends.
on November 27, 2012
I would recommend this book even if you already have a customization component in your business. I have a jewelry company that has a "customize your own jewelry" aspect but I was looking for ways to expand. I found Flynn's book very insightful and plan to try many of his ideas in helping me bring the customization component of my current business to a greater percentage of my company and refocus the company on customization. Customization is truly the new wave of the future.
on January 22, 2013
very nice indepth look at the future and presents of where customizing will go from here.
And how it transforms the way people buy the stuff
on April 21, 2014
It is an excellent book.
It is very easy to read and comprehensive.
I like it, I recommend this book.
on July 31, 2014
Powerful insights into the future direction of eCommerce that has already begun!