Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now Baby Gift Guide

Showing 1-10 of 192 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on January 9, 2013
This an easy to use, light weight scope that I use at the range and for back yard birding. Clear optics and love the 40mm objective lens size. Works for me and I do wear glasses...roll the rubber back at the eye piece and eye relief is fine.
on June 6, 2013
This is a pretty nice monocular, for the price. I use it at the range and while camping and haven't had any issues with it. The thing to keep in mind is that we're talking about a sub-$20 optic device here...so nobody with a realistic brain can expect high end construction. The little carrying case is worthless, but I didn't buy it for the case. I didn't even realize it would come with one, so no loss in my book.

If you're looking for a monocular that does the basic job, won't break the bank, won't fall apart next month...but is no big loss if you break it or lose it, this fits the bill perfectly.

Cheap, functional, expendable. Check.
on February 16, 2013
This monocular is a pretty good piece of equipment. It's certainly powerful enough: it won't focus on anything across the apartment, but I can see several blocks away or across the city without a problem. For some reason it never focuses absolutely crystal-clear, but clear enough to recognize most writing or which bus is coming up the street.

It showed up fresh from the Chinese factory, and I had to set it outside for a few days to let it finish off-gassing. The odor it put out was quite strong and filled up the apartment with the smell of gasoline. When that was done, I could store it in my coat pocket and bring it around anywhere. Sometimes I hold it up to my smartphone to take extremely long-distance photos with reasonable resolution. I don't need the thin, gratuitous carrying sleeve it came with.

This would be a great monocular for anyone who regularly needed to study images up to a quarter mile away. Like I said, I use it to watch for buses and it does a great job for that. It's large and chunky, so there's no subtlety in pulling this thing out and using it, and the rubber will need a few days to finish off-gassing, but otherwise it's quite serviceable.
on January 6, 2013
I use this when walking my dogs in the river wash, so I can see what's approaching at a distance. It works well. The image is clear, very focusable, pretty steady. Decent field of view, decent brightness. Didn't find the size problematic. It's exactly as big as it looks in the pictures. I use while wearing glasses, and folding down the rubber lip of the eyepiece made that work well. No one could reasonably expect more from this product at this price point. Very satisfied. What would make it 5 stars for me would be a lens cover.
on July 27, 2013
I wanted something cheap in case my kayak tipped over. It seems to be strong enough for birdwatching. I am using it more than my binoculars, even at home, because it's so easy to carry. The case is fine for the purpose, could run it through a belt to carry it hiking.
on November 4, 2013
As an astronomer, I am familiar with fine optics, and optics of all kinds. For 16 bucks, I took a chance on this monocular and really didn't expect much for the price. Well, the monocular is worse than I had thought possible! The optics are hideous. Distortion everywhere but in the very center of the field of view. The optical quality is truly on a par with plastic kiddie binoculars you'd buy at a toy store for $3, or perhaps a cardboard kaleidoscope. Junk. Don't buy them. It's too late for me, but save yourself!
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
I chose this product because I wanted a 16x magnification. I have binoculars with 8x magnification and it's great, but this monocular lets me see things from the same distance twice as big and I love it. The focus is pretty good too, it's a great feature. It might be too big to put in your pocket, but you can always carry it around your neck while it's inside the pouch or without the pouch so you can always have it ready to use. It's also great for watching birds from long distances because with its 16x magnification, the bird will look bigger and closer to you. I would highly recommend this product to anybody.
on May 10, 2014
I read the reviews and took a chance on this, but was extremely disappointed to find that this was not a 16 X 40 Monocular and maybe not even an 8 X 40 monocular. I compared it to my Tasco 10 X 25 monocular and the Tasco image was much bigger. Also, the lens on this product was only clear in the middle and blurry around the edges (fish-eye?). It certainly let in a lot of light, but that didn't justify the bigger size and smaller magnification. I guess if you want an over-sized, low-powered, blurry-on-the-sides product, then this may be for you. For me, I was very disappointed and returned it.
on July 27, 2013
Same quality as Orion I bought and gave away. Rapid focus with minimal movement on focus wheel. Crisp image great cost. Thanks.
on July 3, 2013
I only gave this monocular two stars because it looks and feels like it should be effective. However, upon first use, I found that it would barely focus without coming out of focus instantly. It was hard to find the sweet spot where everything looked clear in spite of the 49mm focal length. I am returning it and searching for a better product. Do not waste your money on this one.