Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on May 4, 2012
This is a wonderful story of a man who decides to bike around a large part of the world. It turns into a three year saga that is fascinating for several reasons. He is not overly concerned about the technical details of cycling such as the kind of bike he uses, the time spent making the journey, or competing with others in some way. What is so interesting are his observations and experiences of the cultures and countries he travels through, the people he meets along the way, and the inner wrestling he endures as he battles extreme weather, loneliness, dangers in countries such as Afghanistan, and so forth. He is a great story teller and keeps the reader interested in his experiences and in what is waiting for him around the next bend.
on March 2, 2016
Excellent read. I was worried that it would a long list of places visited. Fortunately, the book is much more. In fact, I liked the writing style, because it includes both cultural bits, as well as a personal story line. The story takes you from Siberia back to England, however the details are not equally distributed. Siberia and Papua New Guinea are described in more detail, for example. I was curious about Vietnam, but there was only one paragraph. Also, the last part of the journey goes by rather quickly. I liked the little maps and I enjoyed the details about locations and their descriptions.
on June 4, 2014
I'm a sucker for good adventure books and every once in a while one comes along that I want to share with everybody. This is one I couldn't stop talking about. I think I particularly enjoyed the author's writing style and his willingness to share the good, bad and the ugly. I've been on long bike rides and experienced the full range of emotions of the course of 100+ miles. When I think about the author experiencing such rides for over three years, I'm insanely envious.

This book absolutely encouraged my adventure fantasies. For now I'll have to wait for my three kids to grow up and hopefully we can walk/ride in Rob's footsteps in the future!
on January 13, 2017
It was alright. It kind of dragged a little but overall was an enjoyable read.
on April 11, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! Read the Kindle edition. It would have been nice to access the footnotes as I was reading it. They were all at the end. I liked how he told a bit about each country as he was traveling through it. I appreciated his personal spiritual insights as he compared his faith with those he met on the trip.
on January 16, 2015
I bought this as a Christmas present, it arrived late so before I forwarded it on I thought I'd check it out.
(Don't want to gift a bad book, you know!). Anyway, it's an interesting, well written and fun read. Kind of a horrified fascination with their riding in a land where their thermometer bottoms out at -40 degrees at night!
on March 3, 2016
Wonderful book! Our entire book club enjoyed it. I liked it so much I sent a copy as a Christmas present to my brother, who is a cyclist and an avid reader. I couldn't have picked a better present.
on March 29, 2015
Great adventure story with all the elements, humor, fear, triumph, and disappointment. Rob Lilwall experienced an adventure few would attempt and I am sure even fewer would ever complete this 3 year oddessy. I look forward to reading his walking adventure tale. I highly recommend this book.
on February 18, 2013
because you won't be getting much afterwards. I have the author to thank for my staying up until one in the morning, unable and unwilling to put this book down and get some sleep. You would think I was ON the journey with him myself, not wanting to miss anything.
This is easily one of the most exciting travel accounts I've ever come across. Well worth your while to get this book.
I had never heard of anyone traveling by bike from Siberia.

This is a must read.
on April 24, 2014
I enjoyed the light read of this book. It flowed nicely and I finished it in 3 days. It was nice to read about other areas of the world that I would never have an opportunity to visit. I could not believe a person could survive under the circumstances that he started out in, Impressive. Especially since I do not like cold temperatures.