|Wireless Type||802.11 a/b/g/n|
D-Link SharePort Go Mobile Companion with Rechargeable Battery (DIR-506L)
|Price:||$21.93 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Featuring a compact design and rechargeable battery, the highly portable D-Link Share Port Go (DIR-506L) is the ultimate mobile connectivity device.
- Ideal for hotels, airports, cafes or other locations where you want to create a secure wireless network
- Turn any USB Flash drive into a wireless drive to unlock and unleash your content to all your mobile devices
- Never be without power for your Smartphone
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Compare to Similar Items
This item: D-Link SharePort Go Mobile Companion with Rechargeable Battery (DIR-506L)
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Data Transfer Rate||150||750 Megabits Per Second||150||300 Megabits Per Second|
|Total Lan Ports||Information not provided||1||Information not provided||Information not provided|
|Wireless Comm Standard||802 11 ABGN||802 11 AC||802 11 ABGN||802 11 ABGN|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
Top Customer Reviews
The DIR-506 and DIR-505 would seem, at first glance, very similar in concept. The major difference being that the DIR-505 requires AC power and the DIR-506L has a rechargeable battery. Both claim to serve as a wireless router for an Ethernet connection, and as a wireless hotspot where connectivity is provided by some existing wireless service (such as a hotel, coffee shop, etc.) Both have a USB port where you can connect a USB flash drive (or externally powered USB hard drive) and let you access files on the USB drive and upload them. Both have a DLNA/uPNP streaming server for use with DLNA clients (for iOS devices I suggest Goodplayer.)
The DIR-506L is a slim, attractive white box with a swivel-out stand on the bottom. On the left is an Ethernet jack, the power switch, and a MiniUSB jack used for charging the device. A suitable cable is provided. On top is a standard USB jack for connecting external storage and a WiFi Protected Setup button - you use this if you want to connect to a router using WPS. There are no other controls, but there are three LEDs for USB activity, Internet connectivity and wireless activity. A short "getting started" leaflet is provided - I did see on the D-Link web site yesterday a full manual but it has apparently been removed - all there is is a "datasheet" PDF. Too bad, as the leaflet is insufficient.Read more ›
We appreciate your thorough review of the DIR-506L. D-Link is dedicated to delivering high quality products and a great user experience, so we're sorry to read you had experienced some issues in using the SharePort Go device. From time to time D-Link updates our apps and device firmware to provide enhancements, support new devices and incorporate additional features. D-Link always recommends users download the latest app from the appropriate app store and check the D-Link website for any updates to the firmware.
Below are responses to your issues and comments from your review --
* We released a new version of the SharePort Mobile App which improved file indexing for content on USB drives and based on your review you have the latest version installed. However, it can take a few minutes for content on the USB drive to be indexed. The length of time depends on the amount of files and size of the USB drive. The SharePort device supports drive capacities of 500GB or less, which covers virtually any USB Flash Drive. If you are using a larger capacity drive, please try a smaller USB drive capacity.
* Please make sure your SharePort Go (DIR-506L) has the latest firmware installed. You can download the latest firmware (v 2.11) on the DIR-506L support page - www.dlink.com/dir506l.
* The Quick Router Setup (QRS) App is designed to configure the device (as well as other D-Link Cloud Routers) for Router functionality. Please stay tuned for an additional version that will support multi-mode setup, including Wi-Fi Hotspot.
* The current firmware supports admin passwords up to 8 characters. A future firmware will extend the password length to 16 characters.
* We have posted a new Quick Install Guide to the SharePort Go (DIR-506L) support page.
If you have additional comments or difficulties, you can reach our D-Link Customer Service at 1 (877)-453-5465.
D-Link Product Marketing
1. A super portable way to connect to hotel ethernet and turn that into a wifi hotspot. No more weak wireless signal and having to plug the laptop in!
2. A super easy way to share files from a USB drive to anyone within wifi range, great for meetings!
3. Charge your smartphone off the battery! Awesome when you're stuck in the airport forever and your cell is going to die from too much netflix. ;)
4. It's a full featured wireless router including url filtering, mac filtering, port forwarding, bridging and so on. Kudos to dlink for not making it limited despite it's intended use.
It really is impressive given it's size, this has instantly become part of my travelling kit. I gave it 4 stars, what kept it from being 5? I'm an infosec pro by trade and it just bugs me that:
1. The default wifi security is open, meaning when joe blow user boots this thing up anyone can jump on and use it.
2. The default SSID identifies the manufacturer and model, making it really easy for anyone to google and find out the default username and password.
3. Not that they need to, because the default admin user is 'admin' with NO PASSWORD. Literally the first thing hackers try when password guessing on consumer devices, haha!
2. USB storage sharing is on by default. You need a username and password to access it at least, good think there is a premade account called 'guest' with the password guest. Seriously dlink?
3. DLNA media server is active by default. Since the default security is none that means free streaming for everyone who cares to do so, woohoo!
Yeah, a reasonably security savvy person knows to modify them.Read more ›
We found the DIR-506L particularly useful connecting an Apple TV in a hotel room. Since the Apple TV doesn't have a web interface, it's unable to connect to hotel wifi and authenticate a connection (e.g., type in hotel room and code). With the DIR-506L, we can use a smart phone, tablet or computer to connect to the hotel wifi and also provide a way for the Apple TV to connect to the internet.
I was on the fence for awhile debating on spending the money for this little guy but glad I did. Per the above mentions, it has provided us some welcome conveniences.
OR get this product which has a very good built in firewall. Lots of other good features such as sharing / extending a hot spot. No power supply needed - it charges thru a USB cable.
Issue with all such products: Access points / routers come configured as 192.168.0.1 so you need to set this one up with a different gateway / AP address, such as 192.168.5.1 so there is no conflict between this and the router on the network you are attaching to.
Be aware that this does not work on the 5 ghz band (the "AP" stuff) just your old "n" and "g" bands. But most devices out there don't work on AP yet anyway.
This unit actually can do more than many of the "static" access points / routers out there.
Makes a good Christmas present for your favorite business wanderer.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I purchased this to see if I could connect wirelessly to my Canon 1DX camera via its Ethernet connection. Read morePublished 3 days ago by D. Bell
Was an old model. Downloads from both App store and Play Store do not work with it.Published 2 months ago by Asian Global Press
This product is pretty easy to set up and is great for extending your wifi hotspot especially when your traveling.Published 2 months ago by JR
Update (still Dec '15): I had a chance to try out one more modem, Huawei E173, from the supposedly compatible list, with DIR-506L and no success either. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Pawel Danielewicz
Not the easiest to setup, battery does not last very long, but gets the job done.Published 8 months ago by Customer
I found this is router is very nice to have in a Ethernet only wired vacation condo.
It works great with my fire stick tv wifi, phone, tablet, laptop, all that. Read more
It was easy to setup, the speed has been sufficient for me to run my laptop, tablet, cell phone and roku. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Johnne M
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
See the Top Rated Wireless Routers in our Wireless Router Reviews.