Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Martin D5100 Darco Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on February 27, 2012
I have been a professional guitarist in Los Angeles for 30 years and I can tell you that these strings are really nice. I have had problems trying to find a half way decent set of acoustic guitar strings all my life. I have tried everything and have had no luck until I stumbled upon these. The guy who sets up my guitars started using them and he re-strung all my acoustics with them and I was simply blown away. They sound clear and true with no unwanted overtones. I have always had troubles with overtones on my low E strings for years and these strings cleared that right up. They sound fantastic and record just as nicely too. They stay in tune and so far I have had them on my acoustics with heavy use for the last month and they still sound fresh. I highly recommend these strings for your acoustic applications. I use the 12 light gauge. Nice job Martin......I'm impressed...
on October 10, 2012
I've been playing professionally for more than 30 years but never even considered Darco because I was (incorrectly) thinking low price=low quality, so have always stuck with Martin SP and John Pearse phosphor bronze with consistently good results.

But recently I purchased a new guitar, and with any new guitar, I always try several different strings. Well, over a couple months time, I'd tried a bunch of strings and although a few were very good, none quite hit the mark. Then one day I walked into a friend's music store and he had the Darco D5100 80/20 on sale. So I thought what the heck and bought a set. Not expecting much, I was shocked at how good these strings are and couldn't believe my ears. I play Irish/Celtic music in DADGAD tuning and these strings have a wonderful tone with great balance and volume. I capo a lot on the higher frets (5-7 on my 12 fret triple-O) and this is where these strings really shine, maintaining good volume, balance, tone, and intonation, whether finger picking or strumming. A great match for this guitar and my string search is over.
on November 28, 2012
I have been playing guitar for 15 years, professionally for the last 7 years. A year into playing weekly shows, I had found that my strings of choice, D'Addario brand mediums and lights, had failed to hold up to the heavy use and hard playing that my shows required. Strings were sounding dull and muted within 6 to 8 hours of collective playing. However, my biggest problem was that I was breaking strings with annoying consistency (usually the G string).

So, the search began for a more durable, longer lasting string. Luckily, I only wasted money on a couple different brands before finding an off-the-beaten-path used guitar shop that was reminiscent of the little store in which Gizmo was purchased in the beginning of the movie 'Gremlins'. I only went there because Google Maps pointed out that it was the closest guitar shop in proximity to my house and I was desperate for some replacement strings before a show and had only a couple hours before my set was to start.

I B-lined straight to the guitar strings in the shop and found only one brand, Darco. And, they were cheap. I asked the owner if he had any others. He said "I don't sell any others. Those are the best." Again, I looked at the price and had my doubts. I related that I play hard and break strings often and I need something durable. He said, "You won't break those."

I was three miles from the next nearest guitar shop, but traffic would have never allowed me enough time to change strings and still make it to the gig. (Normally, I change strings the night before at minimum to allow them time to stretch.) So, reluctantly, I bought three sets. Because, I figured I'd break them and need more, but also because they were so cheaply priced I figured it couldn't hurt.

Much to my dismay, they tuned up perfectly for the show and surprisingly held tune throughout. They also sounded bright, loud, and wonderful. That first set of strings never broke and lasted months! I finally changed the strings just for a fresh set, but I could've easily kept using them. Since then, I have bought dozens of these strings, but mostly because I give sets away to fellow guitarists who have never heard of Darco and have had string-related issues. To date, I have only broken one Darco string, ever. And, I couldn't tell you how long that one had been on my guitar. All of my string problems were solved when I found these. I'm a Darco string user for life.

Use these strings. They will not disappoint. As a matter of fact, most people that I give sets to end up becoming Darco evangelists, as well.
on August 1, 2012
Hi, wanted to share my experience with using these strings. I have been using them for about 8 years on my Gibson CL-45 and the main reason I tried them is I am prone to breaking strings due to my aggressive strumming and playing. I can say I have never broken one of these strings :)
To my surprise playing on these strings they have great tone and balance. Like the above review there are no unwanted over tones. I normally get about a month to 6 weeks out of them, due to playing often and my bedroom stays kinda cool and damp and with me keeping the guitar out of the case I think this takes some life from the strings. All in All this is the string I trust and use live (I gig about 4 to 6 times a month), they stay in tune, sound great and truly go longer than any other I have tried. Give them a try you will be happy you did !
on October 8, 2012
What is not generally known about Darco strings, is that they are made by C. F. Martin, the same company that makes exceptionally fine guitars.

Although Darco are the 'economy brand' of the Martin string line, they are identical to regular Martin strings, as well as Clapton's Choice. The only difference is the packaging.

I use the phosphor bronze strings, usually light gauge, but mediums on one guitar. They have a great tone and seem to last forever. Considering Darco's low price, they are more than worth it.

If you play acoustic guitar, you owe it to yourself to try these excellent strings. They are a far sight better than D'Addario, GHS, and most other brands.
on March 15, 2013
These are great strings, especially for the price.I change strings and the battery every month to maintain that "fresh" sound and I've found these strings to sound best and maintain tuning!
on March 18, 2013
I bought Guitar strings for the neighbor so i don't really now how good they are so i don't know how good they are . but he said they work great stay in tune and have great tone to the string
on September 14, 2013
Love the product. Price is good, too. Nice reflection and workability, good tone and response. Typical brightness that characterizes light guage strings, but not too bright. Buy it.
on August 9, 2014
I am a fairly new guitar student and my teacher recommended these strings. They have worked well now for at least a year and produce a pleasing non-strident tone. Recommended.
on March 5, 2013
These are nice strings with a good sound and seem to last so far. They also seem to keep better in tune than the ones that came with my guitar.