Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The DASH Diet for Hypertension
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 24, 2002
I ordered this book for three reasons: Since I taught a course in college-level nutrition, I am appalled at how terrible the diets of too many of us really are. Plus I am something of a fitness nut. Finally I am also a "foodie" who enjoys cooking and eating delicious "gourmet quality" meals that also incorporate first-rate nutrition.
This is the diet book that the USA has been waiting for but too few persons seem to know about it -- yet. It is scientifically accurate and the conclusions of the authors are sound. It is proof that eating for improved health and fitness need not be boring. Indeed, the day after I received the book, I prepared the mango/black bean salad to rave reviews and no leftovers.
The message is not new: We need to increase the fruits, veggies, and whole grain foods in our diet, and to decrease red meats, sodium, and sweets. Although the target audience is those with hypertension, nearly everyone can benefit from accepting the book's challenge to try the DASH diet for two weeks -- and for a lifetime. The fact that the authors go beyond the science and present imaginative, delicious recipes and menus is a definite strength of the book.
A salute to the authors for this timely book!
0Comment| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2003
This diet works, and it is completely fulfilling and delicious. I am so happy I went on it. I have extremely high blood pressure--so high I will always have to take medications for it. I wanted to go on this diet simply because I thought it would be a really healthy way to lose a few pounds. I honestly was not expecting it to lower my blood pressure. Well, I was very surprised to see that it did! After two weeks my BP dropped about 12 points on the upper and 5 points on the lower, consistently. It is really surprising! I was even able to lower my dosage a little. I've enjoyed eating this way tremendously. For anyone who wants to eat healthy, this is a great way to start. This is the most scientifically supported and most highly endorsed eating plan out there.
It is similar to most sensible nutrition plans, with a little more dairy and a little less meat. It is very easy to follow.
I can only say, Congratulations and thank you to the team behind it.
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2005
Having battled high blood pressure for years, I started reading books about my problem in an effort to do what my doctors hadn't been able to accomplish - control my blood pressure without drugs. I picked up two books, the DASH Diet by Thomas Moore and NO More Heart Disease by Lou Ignarro. I found the dietary recommendations were similar in both books, which made me feel more comfortable. The simple nutritional recommendations made by both Dr. Moore and Dr. Ignarro were easy to add to my daily regimen. What I can tell you is that with the help of these two books I have been able to bring my blood pressure down into almost the "normal" range for the first time in years - without any drugs!
33 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2009
Hypertension kills. Suffering a stroke, heart attack, congestive heart failure, or damage to your eyes should be enough to get anyone to change their bad habits and get their lifestyle on track with the DASH diet. There is nothing difficult about eating fresh fruits instead of cookies or candy, and making fresh salads and cooking fresh vegetables instead of opening up a can of soggy, sodium laden mush passing as food.

Believe it or not, I told MY doctor about the DASH diet when I first got diagnosed with high blood pressure about 10 years ago. She'd never heard of it. I was only 34 but African Americans seem to have a higher rate of hypertension than any other ethnic group. My blood pressure was an unbelievable 170/110 but I had no symptoms at all. Fearful of medications, but even more fearful of dying, I looked for an alternative solution that would provide fast results, and happened across the DASH study results.

I ordered two booklets from the NHLB website and started changing my life.

When I went back for a checkup a month later, my blood pressure had dropped an amazing 32 points systolic and was within the normal range of 138/85. She was stunned and ran from the room with the booklet I gave her to show other doctors in the office. They were in disbelief and actually came in to talk to me about the program. My blood pressure continued to drop once I got a better handle on sodium and liquor intake until it reached normal where it now stays unless I go off on a tangent too many days in a row.

This was accomplished without any medication, just a steely determination to live which meant giving up things I shouldn't have been eating anyway. The book is great because it goes into a great deal of explanation and provides menu ideas to get you started.

If you can't afford to order the book right now, at least look on the web and review the online documents which support changing your eating habits per the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. The DASH diet saved my life.
HALL OF FAMEon December 1, 2004
Why does the DASH diet work? No one knows for certain, although Thomas Moore has his suspicions and offers some suggestions for the reader. Moore, a member of the Harvard Medical School and Boston University faculties, and his co-authors tested the effects of three different diets: 1) the so-called typical American diet; 2) a fruit and vegetable diet; and 3) the DASH diet, and noted that those who ate the DASH diet lost weight, and experienced better blood pressure, cholesterol and insulin resistance readings.

Perhaps eating a combination of foods rich in fiber, magnesium, potassium, and calcium and high in anti-oxidants is part of the answer. Perhaps eating less refined sugar is also a key. Moore provides many suggestions for increasing the fiber in your diet by eating-you guessed it more vegetables and fruits and fewer GASS (grease-alcohol-sugar-salt) items. Moore explains how to approach shopping at the super market, and menus and recipes for employing "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension" or DASH. According to the jacket of Moore's book, The American Heart Association, The National Heart Lung, and Blood Institute, and the American Society for Hypertension approve the DASH diet.

I did not find anything new in this book, but if you aren't familiar with the DASH diet, perhaps you will.
on September 3, 2011
DO NOT GET THE KINDLE VERSION. THE BOOK ADVERTISED IS THE NEW 2011 VERSION, BUT IF YOU ORDER THE KINDLE VERSION THEY SEND TO YOU THE OLD, OUTDATED 2001 VERSION.

IF YOU WANT THE BOOK MAKE SURE ITS THE JUNE 2011 EDITION!!!!

[ASIN:145166558X The DASH Diet for Hypertension]
on January 29, 2006
This diet is very easy and I have already lost 8 pounds after only 3 weeks. My blood pressure is also dropping. The only reason I did not give this book 5 stars is that they do not offer any substitutions for foods that I do not like.
on April 15, 2008
Well, mine was one of those very very very difficult cases for physicians. In fact in my family has been a tradition of very high blood pressures. I have been sort of a buddhist meditator for years in the aim to help my high blood pressure, and I look in Taoism to see if I could find any help for it. Almost three or four weeks ago I received my manual to lower my blood pressure in 14 days. The main problem I had with it was that I had to translate the 67 recipes into spanish, as I live in Colombia, South America, so I just tried to resume the philosophy of the DASH diet, insisting in more fruits, vegetables, less red meat, very very very little sodium and much more dairy products than we usually do.

I decided to order the Dash diet manual the day I had a very severe crisis of blood pressure, 200/120, very early in the morning, even though I had been taking the days before maximum dosis of drugs for hyper tension prescribed by my physician.

So just use it if you have high blood pressures, and you will see the results by yourself!!! It really works!

Now I am just taking one drug, and my aim is to take none, as I had to suspend another maximum dosis of drug with dangerous side effects, as for the first time in my life I had a low blood pressure crisis.
on August 25, 2006
Not only has the Dash Diet helped with my hypertenion, but I have also lost a few pounds which also helps. Following the suggested foods, you are automatically eating more healthy and have more energy. I would suggest it for anyone and not just those looking to help with hypertension.
on January 28, 2014
I used the information in this book and others to naturally lower my BP from 150+ to 120. The information is scientifically proven and will work if you are motivated enough to do it. Take a good long look at the side effects of BP medication, and hopefully that will motivate you to give this a try.

It's worth noting that I am NOT a vegetable lover by nature. I have to work hard at creating dishes that will get me to eat more veggies. Fortunately, I do love a variety of fruits, so that part is a bit easier for me. If you are like me and don't find it easy just to eat veggies because someone said so, get online or go to your local library to find some great vegetarian or vegan cookbooks. You don't have to BECOME vegan or vegetarian by any means, but this is where you will find all the recipes that will help you eat what you need to eat on the DASH diet to lower your BP.