|Item Weight||77 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||22.4 x 18.6 x 16.4 inches|
|California residents||Click here for Proposition 65 warning|
|Item model number||14-651|
|Item Package Quantity||1|
|Warranty Description||2 Years|
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
DELTA 14-651 Professional 1/2HP Bench Mortising Machine
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Easy and open access to drill chuck for bit changing
- Large cast-iron base with center through hole
- Adjustable rack and pinion fence and rack and pinion head raising and lowering
- Mortising head column can be turned 180 degree and remounted for off-table mortising
- Adjustable fence and hold down; Adjustable dovetail way on mortising head
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Easy to set up and operate, the Delta 14-651 1/2-Horsepower Mortiser is specially designed for the professional user and includes a multi-position hand lever and rotating mortising head for tricky off-table projects. Capable of punching smooth mortises in a range of stock--including hardwoods--this professional bench mortising machine is a must-have addition to any shop.
Multi-position hand lever provides the extra torque needed to mortise especially hard woods.
Heavy-duty cast-iron base provides stability and control. View larger
Setting up the 14-651 is a breeze thanks to features such as the easy-access 3/8-inch-capacity drill chuck and adjustable rack-and-pinion fence. A height attachment increases the mortiser's capacity by 1-3/4 inch, and if you still need more height, you can simply turn the 14-651's head 180 degrees to mortise off-table.
Engaging and releasing via an efficient rack-and-pinion system, the 14-651's head features an adjustable dovetail option for intricate jobs. The lever locks down and is long enough to provide that extra torque you need to mortise especially hard woods.
Robust Motor Guarantees Professional Results
Powered by a 1/2-horsepower, 120-volt, 60-hertz, single-phase induction motor, the 14-651 produces smooth-sided, burn-feed results. The mortiser features a feed speed of 1,725 RPM and a multi-position feed lever for matching the correct position to the job.
Additionally, the adjustable depth stop locks down, so you don't have to worry about cutting too deep, and a chuck key/hex wrench simplifies bit and chisel changing.
Stable and Sturdy for Tough Jobs
Stable and sturdy, this machine measures 22.4 x 18.6 x 16.4 inches (WxHxD), weighs 77 pounds, and includes a heavy-duty 16-3/4-inch by 13-1/2-inch cast-iron base with center through hole, as well as a two-piece safety fence.
The 14-651 arrives with a tool-and-chisel tray, a multi-position feed level, and a gas-filled head stabilizer for smooth, steady operation. Also, four mortise chisels and bits in 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2-inch increments are included, so you have everything you need to get started.
What's in the Box
Mortiser; 3/8-inch-capacity chuck and key; four mortising chisels and bits; tool-and-chisel holder; and riser block.
From the Manufacturer
The Delta 14-651 bench mortiser is key for woodworking, cabinetry, furniture and boat building. The 1/2 HP motor and 3/8-inch capacity chuck mortises hard and soft woods. It has four chisels and bits (1/4-inch x 1/4-inch; 5/16-inch x 5/16-inch; 3/8-inch x 3/8-inch; 1/2-inch x 1/2-inch). A cast iron base, adjustable fence and head ease adjustments between projects. 9 3/8-inches under head to base with a 5-inch stroke accepts multiple sizes assemblies and stock. The head can be turned 180 degrees and re-mounted for off-table mortising; the height attachment adds 1-3/4-inch under the head delivering excellent versatility in the shop. An adjustable stop makes repeat mortises easier. The tool comes with chuck key/hex wrench for bit/chisel changes.
Top Customer Reviews
1. The fence hold down knobs are plastic and strip easily. Although the hold down adjuster is metal, it too stripped the first time I attempted to use it. Now it is difficult to get locked down.
2. When you use the riser block (a pain to attach in the first place), you loose the ability to lock down the fence to the table. These lock downs have to be removed completely, which allows the fence/hold down to move up and down. I need to mortise a 5" beam, so I had to use the riser block. If you are only mortising thinner material (I would guess about 4" and less), then you don't need to riser block and you don't encounter this problem.
3. When inserting the chisel bit, there is not an index so you can set the chisel parallel to the fence. This is annoying as it takes some trial and error to get it set nice and parallel.
4. The depth stop is weak and flexs a lot. I don't have great confidence in the depth stop and will replace it with something else soon (don't know what yet, probably a collar and rod).
The machine is powerful, and built heavy. The base is heavy duty cast iron, as are the rest of the support structure. It does cut decently in Red Oak. I think that the chisels that are supplied with the machine are marginal (the 1/2" bit I have is very noisy, probably not straight, but the 3/8" is quiet). I will get a better quality bit for fine furniture. So, overall it cuts square holes, but in my honest opinion, it is the first piece of machinery from Delta that I have purchased that I am not thrilled about. I would look elsewhere if I had to do it again (although the other brands may have similar issues). The planer on the other hand is awesome!
My only negative comment is the loss in sturdiness of the device when you install the 2" column lift. This raises the fence off the table and you lose some of the stability in the machine. This can be fixed with some blocks under the fence, but then you must sacrifice the ease of fence adjustment. Other than that, this Delta product has lived up to it's name and has been a solid addition to my shop that I would recommend to anyone. I can't imagine cutting mortises by hand anymore.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
But, I am a mech engineer.Read more