|Item Weight||77 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||22.4 x 18.6 x 16.4 inches|
|California residents||Click here for Proposition 65 warning|
|Item model number||14-651|
|Item Package Quantity||1|
|Warranty Description||2 Years|
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
DELTA 14-651 Professional 1/2HP Bench Mortising Machine
|Price:||$329.89 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Easy and open access to drill chuck for bit changing
- Large cast-iron base with center through hole
- Adjustable rack and pinion fence and rack and pinion head raising and lowering
- Mortising head column can be turned 180 degree and remounted for off-table mortising
- Adjustable fence and hold down; Adjustable dovetail way on mortising head
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Multi-position hand lever provides the extra torque needed to mortise especially hard woods.
Heavy-duty cast-iron base provides stability and control. View larger
Setting up the 14-651 is a breeze thanks to features such as the easy-access 3/8-inch-capacity drill chuck and adjustable rack-and-pinion fence. A height attachment increases the mortiser's capacity by 1-3/4 inch, and if you still need more height, you can simply turn the 14-651's head 180 degrees to mortise off-table.
Engaging and releasing via an efficient rack-and-pinion system, the 14-651's head features an adjustable dovetail option for intricate jobs. The lever locks down and is long enough to provide that extra torque you need to mortise especially hard woods.
Robust Motor Guarantees Professional Results
Powered by a 1/2-horsepower, 120-volt, 60-hertz, single-phase induction motor, the 14-651 produces smooth-sided, burn-feed results. The mortiser features a feed speed of 1,725 RPM and a multi-position feed lever for matching the correct position to the job.
Additionally, the adjustable depth stop locks down, so you don't have to worry about cutting too deep, and a chuck key/hex wrench simplifies bit and chisel changing.
Stable and Sturdy for Tough Jobs
Stable and sturdy, this machine measures 22.4 x 18.6 x 16.4 inches (WxHxD), weighs 77 pounds, and includes a heavy-duty 16-3/4-inch by 13-1/2-inch cast-iron base with center through hole, as well as a two-piece safety fence.
The 14-651 arrives with a tool-and-chisel tray, a multi-position feed level, and a gas-filled head stabilizer for smooth, steady operation. Also, four mortise chisels and bits in 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2-inch increments are included, so you have everything you need to get started.
What's in the Box
Mortiser; 3/8-inch-capacity chuck and key; four mortising chisels and bits; tool-and-chisel holder; and riser block.
From the Manufacturer
Top Customer Reviews
My only negative comment is the loss in sturdiness of the device when you install the 2" column lift. This raises the fence off the table and you lose some of the stability in the machine. This can be fixed with some blocks under the fence, but then you must sacrifice the ease of fence adjustment. Other than that, this Delta product has lived up to it's name and has been a solid addition to my shop that I would recommend to anyone. I can't imagine cutting mortises by hand anymore.
1. The fence hold down knobs are plastic and strip easily. Although the hold down adjuster is metal, it too stripped the first time I attempted to use it. Now it is difficult to get locked down.
2. When you use the riser block (a pain to attach in the first place), you loose the ability to lock down the fence to the table. These lock downs have to be removed completely, which allows the fence/hold down to move up and down. I need to mortise a 5" beam, so I had to use the riser block. If you are only mortising thinner material (I would guess about 4" and less), then you don't need to riser block and you don't encounter this problem.
3. When inserting the chisel bit, there is not an index so you can set the chisel parallel to the fence. This is annoying as it takes some trial and error to get it set nice and parallel.
4. The depth stop is weak and flexs a lot. I don't have great confidence in the depth stop and will replace it with something else soon (don't know what yet, probably a collar and rod).
The machine is powerful, and built heavy. The base is heavy duty cast iron, as are the rest of the support structure. It does cut decently in Red Oak. I think that the chisels that are supplied with the machine are marginal (the 1/2" bit I have is very noisy, probably not straight, but the 3/8" is quiet). I will get a better quality bit for fine furniture.Read more ›
Assembling the mortiser was pretty easy, with one exception. There is a hydraulic cylinder (kind of like what keeps storm doors from slamming closed) that connects to the power head and the base, which helps to raise the power head. The documentation says to raise the head all the way up so that you can install the hydraulic cylinder. Well, with the head all the way up, the cylinder arm is still approx. 1/2" too long to install. I ended up compressing the cylinder with a Quick Grip bar clamp in order to install the cylinder (it has too much internal pressure to compress by hand). Other than this annoyance, set-up was simple.
Great mortiser. Pay the extra...and buy this machine. You won't be sorry!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
As others have noted, the machine is well packaged and dripping in oil. There was so much oil in the carton that my first thought was that there must be a gear box that had... Read morePublished 12 days ago by james wilkins
Total junk; do not purchase. Like most mortisers, motor head is design to travel up and down the column on a sliding dovetail; but the machining and assembly is so far out of... Read morePublished 22 days ago by Ajrambo
All looks well upon assembly. Yet to use it. Packaging was good; arrived in perfect condition. Bits appear to need lapping; factory grinding not as smooth as could be. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
Delta is a shell of the company they used to be. I don't write reviews, ever. I own 3 Delta power tools. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Chris Boziel
Had this machine for 6 years and it did an OK job but you have to check all adjustments before each job but that might be expected. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Greg W.
Arrived very well packaged and in perfect condition. Very little assembly required, and everything worked as it should first time around. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Amazon Customer
Fence cannot be aligned to be straight with bit and front platform so mortise is not parallel to edge of wood. Also
plastic handles on fence tightener screws are flimsy. Read more