Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DEWALT Bare-Tool DCD950B 1/2-Inch 18-Volt XRPHammerdrill/Drill/Driver
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on February 16, 2011
I own a different model DEWALT cordless drill which I use regularly and really like. The DEWALT drills are built for rugged use. I purchased the DEWALT DCD950B 1/2-inch XRPHammerdrill/Drill/Driver as a backup drill and one for drilling into concrete or brick. I read reviews before purchasing where folks who purchased this same model had difficulty with the drill operating regularly. Upon arrival of my drill, I quickly pulled the trigger a few times and all seemed well. It mostly sat for a couple of months until yesterday when I needed two drills for a floor project where I didn't want to have to keep changing bits. Well, my newer hammerdrill worked sometimes and sometimes not. When it failed, the work light would go dim and the motor would not operate. If I turned the mode selectors and kept pulling the trigger, I could usually get it to start operating again until the next failure. This was quite aggravating. The good part was when I called Amazon.com and explained the problem, they immediately shipped me a replacement and expedited the shipping so that it will arrive in one day (tomorrow)! You can't beat that for good service. I can only hope that the replacement drill doesn't have the same problem. Thanks Amazon.com!
22 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2010
I had an XRP that I used for 10 years and it was a great drill and it still runs but the case cracked on it and the drill tries to split in two when I use it. So i decided to order this one and I know De Walt has had some quality issues in the past but they have been fixed with this model. I have actually broke paddle bits with this drill. and the all metal chuck and shaft is great for long term usage.
on November 13, 2010
I purchased the 950 as a second 18V Dewalt cordless to support my work in homebuilding/remodeling and furniture making. I already have another 18V Dewalt and this gave me the added hammer drive feature plus a second drill/driver. I have had the older one for some 6 years. It is a work horse although a bit heavy when you use it for extended periods especially overhead. The new 950 is a work horse as well and is made a bit sturdier with the metal drive train. It too is heavy. Neither drill/driver disappoints in terms of power. I have 4 batteries and only the non XRP batteries wane in heavy use. By the way I just learned that I can use the new Lithium batteries with either drill driver. I think this is a great design consideration on the part of Dewalt! Certainly this will lighten the unit in use. I will have to wait and see regarding balance when I purchase the Li ION batteries.

The 950 has one LED to light the way and it is a handy feature but I do notice that in some areas the shadow the head casts makes the light somewhat less effective.

I had an unpleasant experience with the first 950 I ordered. I was using it to install a storm door, i.e. light duty.I had freshly charged batteries and within just a few screw installs it would not operate upon trigger actuation. The LED would light but the drill motor did not turn in the low speed setting. I found that switching to the second or third speed setting would allow normal operation, even if I switched back to the lowest speed. Needless to say I sent it back. A new one arrived very quickly and seems to be OK although I did experience the same event once more (one time).

So why did I rate this as a 4 star you say? Primarily because it is a workhorse and I expect it to hold up as my other unit does. I find the hammer drill feature to be the answer to driving deck lags and drilling into concrete for TapCons. I also like the fact that I can swap in/out Li ION batteries and finally the price was right.
I love Dewalt tools and this set has been particularly useful in helping finish some house work.
I am a bug believer in buying quality and spending the few extra dollars. This set will last a lifetime in my opinion. Love it!
on June 3, 2011
This is my second 1/2 inch 18v DeWalt hammer drill. The first one is now 10 years old, has a cracked case, the gears are whining, and the smoke is threatening to get out of the motor; altogether not too bad considering the work that drill motor has done in its life. I smoked two different corded drill motors on one project and completed the project easily with the battery drill. I have some critical projects going and saw the deal on the bare tool and jumped at it. The new one is superior in every respect. More power, better balance, only a couple ounces more weight. The chuck is infinitely better, the gear change is smoother, and the torque controls are easier to use. I can drive 3-1/2" wood screws in high gear with no issues with this one; the last one struggled in mid-gear. I think this one will take more abuse as well because the design of the frame was changed to better distribute the forces of turning a bit and bouncing off the concrete from the top of a ladder as well. Considering the fact that I was very pleased with the older drill motor, the new one is exceptional!
on March 17, 2014
I needed a hammer drill and decided to purchase this, as it is almost an "all in one." Let me say that it has performed excellently during its first major project. I was installing a power rack and needed to drill 24 3" holes in concrete slab. This did the complete job ON THE SAME BIT! Using the hammer drill setting will eat through the batteries, but I had 2 spare XRPs always on charge. It took a beating during its first mission. I now call this drill "War Drill."

I gave it a 4 out of 5, because the bit came out a few times and needed to be re-inserted
on May 22, 2013
I am extremely pleased with this power tool. While it will not function as a true impact wrench, with a socket adaptor it definitely simplifies and speeds initial tightening of nuts and bolts. Also functions well as hammer drill and regular drill. Now if DeWalt's batteries were only as good as their tools!!
on September 21, 2013
This is replacing an 18v dewalt cordless hammer drill that has served me faithfully for a decade. The new gearbox with a quick selector to lock out the clutch is nice. Four stars because the balance feels slightly off to me.
on January 20, 2014
I love this drill! I already had an 18 volt DeWalt drill and used an old Craftsman as a backup until it died. I replaced it with this drill because I wanted one that used the same batteries that I use with my other 18 volt DeWalt tools. This drill has plenty of power, is comfortable to use, and is easy to adjust to whatever task I want to use it on. I love DeWalt tools and use nothing else. Amazon is awesome too and always provides low prices, great customer service, and fast shipping, and it is my "go to" site for almost everything I need.
on July 3, 2013
Am doing an extensive remodel on my home, like ripping my basement out the block walls and concrete floor (about 1600 sq ft). The old drill has been dropped, mixed thinset in 5 gal buckets, mixed drywall mudd, hammer drilled a trench for condensate drain, besides removing/install screws and a bizillion other uses. She just had too much but is still working well. I just did not want to tempt fate - when you need it you need it