Industrial Deals Beauty Textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New Moto G6 64 GB | $299.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on November 8, 2017
This is rated at 130 ft-lbs per the DeWalt website and it couldn't remove lug nuts torques to 120ft-lbs so this is mostly worthless for me. I tried 110 and it took a long time and barely got them off (5-8 seconds before breaking loose). Battery lost steam completely on the last wheel but there were 1-2 I had to break loose myself on EVERY wheel. I wanted something smaller to fit in suspension areas which is why i didn't get the full size unit but now I'm regretting the purchase. I saw they're coming out with a medium torque model in Dec '17 so I guess I will wait and get a bare one so it's not a total waste. Hopefully that one will be somewhere close to its rating unlike this.
I see other people stating they exceeded the rating with what it could break lose, maybe mine is a dud built on Friday afternoon with a weak motor. All the reviews were glowing online and on youtube. Story of my life I guess, my DeWalt glass is half empty not half full.
7 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
9/18/17: Since writing the review, for car use, I ended up with the Dewalt 1/2" 20V MAX XR. It's amazing. I don't even have to loosen the lug nuts before lifting the car up, it easily unscrews with very little effort and the battery lasts SO long. Yes it's bulkier and heavier but should've just spent the money. Rusted bolts sometime snap off (which could be good or bad) with so much torque.

I love Dewalt products and have had their drills and other products without any issue for many years. I understand the limitation of each product but after watching many videos and reading reviews online about this 3/8" version I took the chance and was pleasantly surprised at the lightweight design yet felt very professional and the weight was beautifully balanced.

I LOVE the LED lights on these as they stay on and can be used as a quick flashlight. It's compact enough for many uses and the battery seem to last forever as long as you're not torquing things in or out each time (more info on that below). It does have a very nice grip that never seem to slip and isn't big at all so it's comfortable to hold all day long.

Now the disappointing part and was wondering if I had a defective unit. My main use was to use them on my Subaru. I did consider the 1/2" XR 20V Max but thought it would be too big and reading the reviews it sounded like it would be sufficient to take off most bolts including the lug nuts. I already have both 3/8" & 1/2" impact ready 6-point sockets so I thought why not go with the compact. I should've really considered the actual torque rating on this.

Going around the engine bay to unscrew some of the 12mm bolts I noticed it takes few seconds to unscrew and thought okay that's odd. I couldn't get the 14mm bolt out of the exhaust area which I ended up using a regular wrench. It was seized a bit so figured it wasn't the drill. Then I wanted to take the lug nuts off and see how long it would take. My WRX is rated up to 89 ft lbs for safe torque which I use with my Tekton torque wrench every time. This impact wrench either took 7-8 seconds to unscrew if not it wouldn't budge. 89 ft lbs isn't a lot. So as long as this tool was in fact in good order it's not meant to take off lug nuts was my conclusion unlike what other reviews and online videos say about it being able to take them off.

I was more disappointed honestly it couldn't take off simple bolts in the engine bay that holds the intercooler & turbo in place. I did end up buying the 1/2" 20V Max XR version instead. It's not much more and it's a night and day difference.

Personally if you're working on cars I would go with the 1/2" 20V Max XR. Other tools can be used where the space is tight as I found even this compact design didn't exactly save me much time in the engine bay and found myself using regular wrenches.
10 people found this helpful
on November 6, 2016
Great tool to have around the house, my husband uses this one at work(diesel mechanic) he loves it because of the 3/8 inch chuck. The product is smaller and easier to use in tight spaces on a semi truck. His co workers try to borrow all the time for that reason. We had an issue with the chuck, nice thing about Dewalt! We didn't have to send back, the Dewalt tool truck sales man took it and had it repaired within 3 weeks and he hasn't had a problem since.
on November 16, 2016
Amazingly compact and powerful. Battery lasts forever and you get two with a charger! I also bought the 1/2" drive sometime back and love it as well. Great for the times when you don't want to fire up your air compressor or do not have access to one. I bring the 3/8" and 1/2" impacts with me when I tow my buggy trailer and it sure makes changing a broken part or a flat on the trailer a breeze without ahving my compressor at hand.
on October 8, 2017
Awesome tool until it runs low on battery. I don't have to worry about torque specs on bigger bolts anymore as this gun maxes out at those factory torque specs!
on October 8, 2014
I work in collision repair industry. Most of my mechanical tools are air powered. I've accumulated 10s of thousands of dollars in tools over my 37 seven years in the industry. I have to say, this is the best tool I have bought in years. I wanted an impact that was airless, light wait, cordless, and had enough power to break large bolts. This one has it! Even removes wheel lugs on most passenger vehicles, and light trucks! I use it on seatbelt and seat bolts, inside vehicles, without having to drag airline inside vehicle. It has done EVERYTHING I expected, and more. The 20 volt MAX lithium batteries last literally months between charges. I have to lock it up, because my co-workers all want to use it. Ha ha. Very happy consumer!
33 people found this helpful
on November 26, 2016
I love this tool! It is surprisingly powerful. I keep trying it on bigger and bigger bolts and it has successfully loosened every one so far, even rusted ones. I keep thinking about buying the 1/2" version, but so far this one has been more than adequate for automotive use. Battery life is excellent. I felt it was a little expensive, but considering its performance, I'd say it was money well spent.
on July 16, 2016
I'm a professional mechanic that works on heavy equipment (bulldozers). Bough this tool with some Christmas money I received in 2015 so I've been using it for about 7 months. It has great power for the weight/size of the tool and has remarkable battery life. It's the first electric impact I have owned so I have no other comparison to a similar electric tool to offer. I would say it is easier to maneuver than my pneumatic Snap-On 3/8 drive impact and probably about the same weight with the battery installed. I regularly use for fasteners up to 3/8" diameter and 10mm diameter with no problem. My helper unintentionally broke several 5/16" bolts by hammering too long with it. I completely recommend it and would definitely purchase it again.
10 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 13, 2017
Can bust an axle nut that supposed to be torqued down to 134 lbs ft easily. Nuff said.
on September 10, 2016
Met and exceeded, my expectations. It's just as strong if not stronger,than the snap-on, matco, or Mac cordless impacts, for half the price. Highly recommended purchase, you will not be disappointed.it does come with 2 lithium ion batteries.I have been using mine every day, all day for weeks, and still haven't needed to recharge the battery yet, I'm sure that will change with age, but that is to be expected. I may even purchase the dewalt 20v. 1/2in drive next.