Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Southland Tales forum

DIRECTOR'S CUT?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2008, 8:52:54 PM PDT
will there be a director's cut? with all the deleted scenes? and some commentary? and all that great bonus feature stuff this movie deserves? please tell me there will be a director's cut!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008, 10:47:51 AM PDT
Joe F says:
If anybody finds out the answer to this please let me know. This film was clearly better when it was shown at Cannes. It is obvious that it got cut to shreds and it still damned good. Must have been great originally, despite what the critics said.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008, 3:47:53 PM PDT
Robert S. says:
They didn't get it. Needs to be seen twice, 3X, 4X..... better and deeper...

Posted on Sep 15, 2009, 12:12:47 PM PDT
Grant says:
Does anyone know where the graphic novel took the storyline? Did they ever go into what happens after the movie? And did the prequels go into more depth than the films exposition?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009, 6:28:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2009, 6:29:43 PM PDT
R. Rahman says:
The graphic novel IS half the movie. I don't know why no one mentions this, the movie was originally supposed to be a very intricate "interactive" experience, with 9 volumes of the graphic novel that would lead directly into the movie.

Instead, we got 3 volumes (which was fine) detailing everything that happened up until the movie begins: Fortunio finding Boxer in the desert, meeting Krysta at a bar, planning together how to get money out of amnesiac Boxer, huge tracts of the script that Krysta (not Boxer) wrote under the influence of Westphalen...on and on.

Even the Killers' song that Justin Timberlake lipsynchs has much more meaning when you realize how the song links the characters from Iraq together.

If you truly want to understand the movie and really get all the connections, pick up the graphic novel, and read and watch the movie together to get the whole picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009, 10:45:48 PM PDT
Grant says:
R. Rahman:

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I knew about this movie for a while, but didn't see it until recently. And I didn't know there was a graphic novel till even later. While I don't think it's as good as Darko...I do think it's a challenging movie. I just really felt it was more ambiguous than even the director had intended. I'd love to see the graphic novels incorporated into a directors cut.

Posted on Feb 18, 2010, 3:39:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012, 10:43:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 1, 2011, 8:12:51 PM PST
Marty says:
Richard Kelly would love to release a director's cut of this film, but too bad Sony won't commission the release.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2014, 10:14:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2014, 10:19:19 PM PDT
Mr. S. Tobin says:
R. Rrahman,

Excellent point, this is so true. It is very possible in fact that there would be a lot more positive reviews on here had people read the graphic novels first. That's why this film starts at Part IV , in case people were wondering why it says that at the beginning of the film, you have to read Parts 1 threw 3 of the graphic novels first to understand the film completely.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Southland Tales forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer