Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
When I picked this book up, I thought it was going to be chock full of recipes to dazzle my friends and neighbors with as they marveled at my creativity. Unfortunately for that stated goal, that's not what this book is about - although there are several tasty recipes and I had one tonight only as an effort to "test" the authors.

What this book does for me is to give some background on the various types of adult beverages, how to mix things with ratios, and gives a very good background on what goes with what as well as the effect of adding or subtracting various mixtures. From little things such as scoring a piece of lemon or orange rind to the color of the ice cube had me learn a thing or two.

If you're looking for some background on how you can make things a heck of a lot better than just rum and coke, then this book is for you!
on June 17, 2011
DIY Cocktails is a fantastic book which will not be archived on my Kindle, but will remain in a respected location. Since I'm now accumulating many, many ebooks, most are read and then put into "storage" for safekeeping, but I've found this ebook to be a valuable resource. Mixologists today are highly regarded service professionals far from the bartenders of past, particularly since so many libations are made with infusions, syrups and exotic flavorings and require more than mixing liquids and garnishing with an olive, lemon twist or maraschino cherry. In this book, you'll find contemporary renditions as well as the traditional recipes and bits of history which are entertaining and educational. The ratio formulas make sense! Regardless of the amount of alcohol you consume or your beverage preferences, this is a well written, organized publication which is an asset to any home bar. So if you're wondering why a more desirable martini is stirred and not shaken (sorry James Bond) or what a "perfect" mixed drink is, pick up DIY Cocktails and take your cocktails to the next level.
on May 29, 2011
I expected a boring book filled with recipes. There are lots of recipes, but they are never boring! Instead, I was treated to beautiful photos, charmingly written information about cocktails, and even a place to take notes. I particularly liked the first chapter, "Recipes, You're not the Boss of Me!" If you want to read a true DIY, this is the book for you!
on May 31, 2011
This book is exactly what it says it is... not so much about recipes as about proportions and ratios and what-goes-with-what so that you can create your own personal drinks for family & friends. There are plenty of recipes, but they're used primarily to illustrate how things 'go together' to make a classic cocktail and to give you ideas. There are also lots of recipes for DIY ingredients to go into your creations. Definitely a book to keep on hand and reference periodically when inspiration strikes.

Note on Kindle formatting: Very good - the pictures worked well and the text was formatted nicely. There were a couple minor issues - like different font on a couple of headings here & there - but nothing major. My real quibble is that the chart at the back of the book that shows 'what-goes-with-what' seems to be much, much lighter that the regular text - making it very hard to read on a Kindle. I managed by increasing the font size, but that was a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure it had to to with the chart being an image rather than text, but it WAS still readable - just not as easily as the text was.
on June 6, 2012
Great little book that I can't believe I got for free on Kindle. There were things that I learned in this book that I had never even thought about with making/concocting drinks that has me seeing the formulas in a different light!My only criticism would be that I think that some of the ingredients on the drink recipes could be difficult to find, but that wasn't enough to mark down the stars.
on April 7, 2013
Perfect for any DIY bartender! If all you know is that you have certain things on hand & would like to make a refreshing beverage that tastes good, this book is terrific. I've given copies as gifts to all of my friends who enjoy cocktails, and I would definitely include it in future gifts for friends or professional contacts.
on May 30, 2012
Ever looked at your bottles of sprits, not sure what kind of coctail to create? This book will teach you how, depending on your mood, one can quickly whip up a coctail by following basic mixology rule-of-thumbs (your creations could be further tweaked to your liking, of course).

Very, very helpful to any and all mixology enthusiasts - highly recommend.
on February 23, 2016
If you can only buy one bar book, make this it. I used this book to develop a cocktail menu and to take me from being a barback to a bartender.
on May 26, 2017
Great guide
on October 3, 2014
Not just a collection of recipes. Instructions for various classes of cocktails based on ratio of strong (liquor), sweet, sour and bitter. General techniques for making infused liquors and bitters.