Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Style: Base Quadcopter Only|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$499.99 - $562.49

Showing 1-10 of 551 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 663 reviews
on March 27, 2013
*NOTE: before taking it out for its first flight, grab a Sharpee and write your phone number on it clearly with the words "REWARD". If you lose it, you just might luck-out with a phone call. You may want to put the reward amount on there, too. $50-100 is well worth it if someone calls.

======

Okay, this is too cool. First I should state that I have *never* flown a radio-controlled aircraft. Never, as in zip.

What drew me to this was that it's made for use with GoPro cameras, which I already own, and I needed a new way to use the camera. Mine is the original GoPro, and although the DJI Phantom includes an open "basket" to hold your camera, it also uses the same GoPro mounting bracket elements, so I kept mine in its GoPro case (for protection) and hung it upside-down from the Phantom. Anyone with a GoPro camera knows that it's very easy to invert the video ride-side up.

I put mine together after watching the five videos on the DJI site (Amazon deletes URLs in reviews, so I'll add the URL to a comment), but I do recommend downloading the PDF instructions from the DJI site, also, since no instructions are included with the Phantom. Their reason for this is that it's their way to make sure the instructions are always current and up-to-date. Okay, I'll buy that (I guess).

There are firmware upgrades made available via USB, but we Mac-users are currently out-of-luck. You do not need the upgrades except for advanced features (at least for now).

I assembled my Phantom with no problems (again, after watching the five videos) and headed out to a large field. It was fairly breezy. Since I really didn't know how to use the controller, except for setting it on GPS and where the throttle was, I calibrated the compass, set it on the grass, turned on the Phantom, and slowly raised the throttle. It immediately tipped forward, without leaving the ground. The second time it did the same thing. I had wondered how it would balance itself with the weight of the camera on the front, and I discovered it technically didn't.

So, as to try an option, I loosened the GoPro mounting screw and tilted the camera back to where it was looking almost straight down, but it made the Phantom more center-weighted. Sure enough, the Phantom lifted straight up on the third try. I'm sure there is a way to have it lift-off with the camera pointing more horizontally, since the vibration of the props quickly permitted the camera to rotate into more of a horizontal view.

Since only the throttle was known to me, I just slowly raised it to full throttle with a cross wind, and it went probably as high as it will go, and simply remained stationary while hovering. It was windy on the ground protected by trees, so it must have been quite windy at altitude.

I did slowly rotate the copter while it was up there, and it was well above the communications tower used by our law enforcers, which seems taller than a typical cell tower. You'l notice the horizon dipping on the left or right. That's how the Phantom stays stationary in the wind by using its GPS. It must lean into the wind.

I brought it all the way back down, hovered it in front of a interested stranger, moved it towards me and set it down, with a bounce. I decided to test the homing function by turning off the controller. For those who don't know, when the Phantom losses connection with the controller, it automatically enters "go home" mode. It climbs to 60 feet, and makes a beeline to its home position, which is where it took-off from, all by using the GPS. Once it loses that connection with the controller, it will not regain it. Turning the controller back on will do nothing while it's heading home.

That was about the time I realized I really messed up, as I wasn't paying attention to the tree branches that extended far out over my Phantom, about 20 feet up. I was sure I was watching the destruction of my Phantom when it hit those branches. But after battling them for a few seconds, it ricocheted out into clean air and righted itself. Whew, I thought (but it wasn't over).

Because it was using its GPS to climb and head home, as soon as it righted itself, it headed right back into the tree to continue its climb. Pieces of branches were flying everywhere. It retuned to the tree three times total, and when the tree spit it out after the third time, it hovered down low enough for me to grab a skid.

Amazingly, the Phantom suffered *no* damage. None.

A fully charged battery will keep it aloft between 10-15 minutes, so I already ordered an additional one, and will probably order more. They take over an hour to charge.

Some users have referred to the "jello" appearance to the resulting video. I now know what they mean. I understand, though, that it's cause by the propellers vibration which are not perfectly balanced. Knowing that, I ordered a Top Flite Power Point (Magnetic) Prop Balancer, which should substantially reduce, if not eliminate the jello effect.

All-in-all, it was really fun ... I've got new plans for it now. I may even upgrade my GoPro. I got home and the instructions made more sense to me, even though I had not read them before flying. This is truly a high-tech toy for adults. Without a GoPro camera, I'd probably get bored with it in short time, so make sure you have a camera, too. I edited this video down from about 10 minutes.

========

ADDENDUM: Quick note, but I was dead wrong about the maximum altitude the Phantom can achieve. On my second flight, it just kept climbing as it disappeared into the clouds. I lost visual, and was sure I'd never see my Phantom again. I didn't notice the the throttle stick does not revert to center when you let it go. It stays where you leave it, and for me, that was full throttle. From calculations based from DJI's web site that it climbs 6m/second, which means it attained an altitude how somewhere between 5000 and 7000 feet. I didn't realize until I got the video back. This is *not* good, though, since untiI I saw the video, I didn't realize I was in controlled airspace. Do *not* do this. Keep you Phantom in visual range at all time, or risk getting arrested, or even worse, causing a flight accident. You should not fly it at over 400-500 feet.
9393 comments| 808 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2015
Very pleased with this purchase, as always package arrived on time with no damage. I also had a couple questions from this vendor and they were very prompt in responding and providing meaningful responses.

This is the latest version of the Original Phantom 1 drone (Version 1.1.1) and has several upgrades compared to the previous version such as New Controller NAZA-M V2, New Self Tightening Propellers, Dual Antennas and Gimbal Pan / Tilt Control at the bottom of the remote.

Great Drone to learn on and still be able to upgrade if you want additional features.

If you are interested in some of the additional features I looked into and lessons learned here is my input.
One of the first feature I wanted to add has a Gimbal to keep the camera level regardless of the wind conditions and left / right maneuvers which result in a tiling of the horizon in the background. Word of advice there are many Gimbals out there and unless you are willing to spend $300 plus you will end up with some YouTube video searching as most of the Gimbals in the $50 range offer little documentation and no support that is helpful. I learned that the hard way. Also keep in mind if you get an entry level Gimbal they are very heavy and will impact the way the drone can maneuver and the flight time will be reduced. My final choice was not the $ 300 plus range Gimbal but a $ 80 Gimbal from Walkera G-2D 2 Axis Brushless. It made out out light weight plastic and weighs half of the $ 50 range Gimbals.The $ 50 Gimbals all have wires exposed that to the motors and get in the way of the motor movement. One YouTube, I found that many people have to make all sort of modifications to make them work correctly . The Walkera model has no exposed wires and setup adjustments (leveling Gimbal if needed) are done via inserting a small screwdriver into a connection on the board. Very easy to do as the other Gimbals I tried you either have to calibrate via your USB cable and run the needed software or press a little button on the board 3 time and hold the Gimbal in place horizontally. That a cool fast feature but I found ti difficult to get the 3 other Gimbals I tried to get into that setup mode and then to actually keep the setting was not easily done as the Gimble always tended to make a small adjustment after and ended up not being adjusted properly. Making the adjustments via screw drive provide me with a perfect result every time. Hopefully this will give you a little guideanse on your Gimbal purchase.

Also added propeller guards, just keep in mind the more you add the more weight and the less fight time. The guards from DJI are great but if you have a case for your drone it won't fit most likely anymore and its a pain to take off the guards every time. I then got the guards that you can slide in and not have to screw on which worked really good but were very heavy and between the Gimbal and Guards the Phantom would not keep its height and was sinking, so I had to keep applying power to keep the drone at the same height, which was a pain and a huge drain on the battery. (Note: This issue was only with my original $ 50 Chinese metal Gimble not the G-2D Plastic Gimble)

Last item to share is that be VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU add PROPELLER GUARDS. If you use the wrong screws you will penetrate into the back of the motor and short the motor out and possible the ESC board as well. That is A VERY EXPENSIVE MISTAKE TO MAKE, unfortunately I have a friend help me with putting on the Propeller Guards before flight and he ended up using screws that were just a little to long. End result the Phantom propeller would not spin up and smoke came up within seconds of applying power. Big stupid mistake that I want to share with you as the cost of the motor is around $20 to $25 and the ESC about the same price. In my case all four motors and ESC boards were a total loss. You are looking at a minimum of $ 200 in parts. Mine ended up costing $ 246 after tax and shipping charges were taking into account and I decided NOT to order the parts and just order a second Phantom since they run around $ 350. By adding another $ 100 to my stupid mistake, at l least I will have spare parts. If you look at the individual pricing of parts it is in my option cheaper in the long run to just buy a new Phantom 1 for spare parts.

I would say that the design of the motor for the Phantom 1 is poor, it is a easy fix to weld the inside of the motor so a screw cant damage the motor. If you look on YouTube there are countless people that have run into the same issue. I don't know if the newer Phantoms have addressed this but it sure is a big disappointment this is not addressed on the Phantom 1.

Overall I am very happy with the Drone (minus my mistake) and this seller does provide you with the latest version of the Phantom 1, so do keep an eye out for that to make sure you get all the upgrades that are part of version 1.1.1.

I'm by no means an expert at this as this is a new hobby for me just simply sharing my experiences.

Enjoy, fly safe and courteous.
review image
on June 23, 2016
Ordered and received this item in August of 2015. Since that time I had flown it approximately 30-40 times. Loved it at first. Bought prop guards, extra props, batteries, motors and go pro. Loved this thing, until yesterday. My phantom had been loaded with all the latest software and calibrated before every flight. Yesterday was no different. The phantom indicated it had all gps signals locked. I took off and hovered for about 20 seconds as I always do to ensure the home lock is set. I took off straight up and as the phantom began to turn right, it developed a mind of its own. I completely took hands off the remote and it continued on its path. I switched to home lock mode and it would not return. I had absolutely no control over the drone at all. I even tried turning off the remote, but the home function would not work. The worst part is my kids got to watch this happen and they loved that thing. After a full day and night of searching, it is gone. Having read a lot more posts now, it almost seems these have a design flaw to do just this sort of thing after so many flights. It sucks watching your money fly away with no recourse. I would have contacted DJI, but based on reviews, their customer service is terrible. Hopefully Amazon can make this right for me.
on August 1, 2014
Day 3 and going smooth. I have flown RC helicopters and Quads before, but nothing as serious as this little beast here. I was very nervous at first, as I had read so many reviews about fly aways, and all. Assembling took a little time as the model I got had 4 packs of wings (total 8), each pack had a pair with one black top and one chrome. The manuals didn't mention anything to which goes where and it the arrows point to the same direction (clockwise on one side and anti clockwise on other). However, the size was slightly different, so I put two black across and two whites across on the rotors that fit smoothly on each. It worked.

After assembly and charging the battery, I wanted to fly it indoors first - Bad Idea. It is TOO big for flying indoors. It took off, but I had to catch it with my hands before it went into a wall. So I prayed and took it out.

First I got some red flashes as I set it on the ground, then some greens and some reds, and after about a minute or so all greens. This is when I started the engine by moving throttle and other keys in opposite direction. Let it sit there for 10 seconds to make sure it captures the home location and pushed the throttle up. It was slightly bending forward during takeoff, but with the right lever I was able to correct it and up it was. Flew it at around 10 feet before going up around 100 feet. It was windy so I could feel a lot of turbulence. I brought it down, played around with the lefts, rights, 360, forward and back a bit and landed it. Landings are slightly rough as it usually keeps spinning for around 3-4 seconds after touch down, so chances of it bouncing are slightly high. But not that bad.

Next I charged the battery, mounted the Gopro, turned on the video recording and sent it up. Went up around 200 feet, let it hover, did a few 360s, moved around a little and back down. Video came out really really well.

Now I am tossing the coin whether I should risk setting my gopro with wifi on my phone to see what the drone sees, but the description on this product says - DON'T DO THAT. I asked a few friends who have it, they said they use it all the time and never had a problem, but I am still scared :)

So if you are considering to buy this here is my 2 cents for you:

BUY IT.

Don't be nervous about losing it because this device does not "WANT" to run away. You do have it in control for the most part. People who have lost theirs mostly was because of defective unit, Not setting HOME by letting it sit after engine on for 6 seconds, or other issues with transmission, etc. My fear of losing it is gone after seeing how stable it is.

As far as controls, it is 5 stars. Always in control. Just give it a little time and space to turn, stop, slow down, etc.

Overall so far it's been a great experience and after I took a video of my house from 200 feet above my neighbors asked me to click some for them as well so it's all good.

If you want to test whether it returns to home position, remember, after you turn off your transmitter, the drone will start travelling back. If you are in GPS mode, turning on the transmitter will NOT gain control back. You need to turn the switch to ATTI to gain control.
on August 22, 2013
So I think the DJI Phantom is great, but realise you're probably going to get hooked and end up spending more money. You'll find that the video isn't quite as smooth as you like so you'll end up buying a gimbal, then you'll want to fly it more so you'll buy more batteries, then you'll have a couple of crashes, so you'll want more propellors. the Phantom is just the beginning, so be prepared.

It's a lot of fun, it's pretty easy to fly, there have been horror stories of fly aways, but I personally have never experienced that, so be sure to follow the manufacturers instructions closely.

Lots of great support forums and groups out there for it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 14, 2015
I am going to leave the technical portion of the review to those that know more about drone. I will instead focus on the simplicity and fun portion! I purchased this for my 15 year old son. He had his laptop out and watched all the videos on their website. He assembled it by himself and it was perfect. (You might want to start charging the battery first!! Waiting the hour seemed like forever! )

Prior to this, he has only flown the Hubsan H107C. I know that the Hubsan gave him a foundation for flying and the basic skills before he took to the sky with the DJI! We upgraded because he really wanted to use his GoPro.

His first flight was flawless - it took a couple minutes for the controller and drone to recognize each other, but that was a short wait. He kept it low and close until he got the hang of the controller. Can I insert a WOW right here? WOW. He hit the "Return to Home" (RTH) button and you could see the drone stop, think and return.....hover overhead and then slowly begin coming down.

Hints and tips for a 1st time user: Definitely WATCH the videos and read the advice of others in these reviews. You will learn something for sure! Buy an extra battery and extra props! It does come with extra props, but I have a feeling we will need more!

We absolutely LOVE the DJI Phantom and look forward to owning future releases down the road!
on September 15, 2014
Bought this as an impulse buy. I had recently purchased a GoPro and started searching around for a GoPro "Drone." The DJI Phantom came up. I only researched the Phantom and Phantom II and decided to not spend the extra money on the II and go with the original Phantom.

Pros:
- This thing is super easy to fly thanks to GPS. Does that mean you won't crash it, no. I've crashed mine a dozen or so time already. (Buy Prop Guards!!!).
- Almost ready to fly out of the box. Put landing gear on, props on, charge the battery, and start flying. (I recommend downloading the software from DJI's site and upgrading firmware, if needed, and enabling IOC modes first).
- Takes awesome footage with a GoPro.

Cons:
- The manual isn't the easiest thing in the world to understand. Go to YouTube and do a LOT of research prior to flying this thing.
- May just be in my case, but the GPS takes FOREVER to lock on for me. Clear day, no buildings or trees, and it takes 2-3 minutes before I get 6 or more satellites.
- This thing has started an expensive hobby for me, it got me interested in Quadcopter/Hexacopter building.

Overall well worth the money IMO. It's a lot of fun to fly around and gets some amazing aerial shots. Buy extra batteries and battery chargers! I've got 5 extra batteries and 3 chargers now. But don't make the mistake I did and buy a "Dual Battery" kit for the Phantom. You might get 3-4 extra minutes of flight time. The added weight of the extra battery defeats the whole purpose.

If you're a DIY'er, look into building your own Quadcopter. You can get a Naza M lite flight controller, the frame you want, motors you want, etc, for around the same price, but a whole lot more customizable. But this takes time, and a LOT of research. The Phantom is your best bet for a Ready to Fly setup.
on May 25, 2015
So much fun. More power then i thought it was going to have, much more durable then i thought, very responsive controls, i get around 11-13 minutes of flight time, doesn't sound like much but this thing can cover a lot of ground in that time. I have painfully crashed it against a wood pole, and a metal pool heater before hitting concrete, checked to see if props were tight, turned it on and let it idle for about 20 seconds, everything sounded fine and the drone still fly's like its supposed to, the props didn't even break! All these people saying this props are fragile must be crashing it into everything in sight.
It also seems its pretty decently serviceable, most if not all parts can be replaced if broken with little electronic experience.

I recommend getting the prop guards. They don't interfere with flight mechanics all that much, and will protect your drone from extended damage as well as protect others from the spinning props. Also, buy extra batteries!
Very happy with my purchase overall.

i use a GoPro Hero 3+ attached with the waterproof case. I took some screen grabs from a video i took on my first couple flights. It can go up WAY higher than whats seen in my pics.
review image review image review image
on January 9, 2014
I had never flown or driven anything RC in my life. I watched the videos on the DJI site and i got familiar with what to expect. When I got the quad I assembled it. It IS version 1.1.1 it has the self tightening props, the pitch control lever on the controller and the dual antennae. When you first get it go to the dji site and download the software upgrader and the naza assitant software IT WILL need to be updated.

After you do the update download and install the default settings, if this causes it NOT to see the controller (rapidily blinking yellow lights, open the naza assitant go to to Basic then click the rc tab and select DBUS

you should now follow the directions to recalibrate the IMU even if it thinks it doesnt need it.

Now take it out and fly it. Its way FUN start in a LARGE open area and fly GPS mode till you learn and get comfy with the orientation....DO NOT start flying with IOS turned on...if it gets behind you you will likely lose control....learn to fly it right hover it about ten feet off the groud and fly it forward backwards and side to side then rotate it 180 degrees and do the same...the controls will be totally reversed but as you practice it gets to be second nature. Do NOT try to learn to fly using FPV (First Person View) fly by sight and remember when flying you are ALWAYS a LOT closer to objects than you think. You are going to learn this the hard way. The good news is you probably wont break it and it comes with a spare set of props. Save the spare set until you learn to fly well, nicks and rough spots on the props are common until you learn to stop bumping it into stuff. (like trees) or tiping it over on landings

I now have a dozen flights in (about ten mins each) and only crashed it once (too close to a tree, fell 20 feet onto asphalt....picked it up and flew it again right away no probs aside from some rough edges on the props

landing is easy but nobody tells you the key which is pull the throttle all the way down once its an inch or two off the ground and hold it down till the props stop.

this is a great little quad and you will have fun with it, its very responsive.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TURNING ON THE PROPS INDOORS!
on December 19, 2013
UPDATE 12.29.2013
I added 2 extra batteries to my growing Phantom arsenal, and I will be adding at least 1 more in the near future as the Phantom is just way too much of a blast to fly always leaving the desire for one more flight. I have logged over 25 very successful flights with the Phantom, 5 of which were at night. I have to say that I'm having more fun flying at night than I do during the day. The Phantom looks like a UFO, or a satellite streaking across the night sky! The Green, and red LED's make it highly visible even at higher altitudes. Taking night videos has also been a lot of fun this time of year too. I highly recommend flying the Phantom at night if you have a large enough area that is safe, and you have the piloting skills to do so.

UPDATE 12.21.2013
I received the Phantom Version 1.1.1 which is the latest, and greatest version. DJI has make several major improvements with version 1.1.1 that include major upgrades to the electronics including the Naza controller, and the radio transmitter,and receiver. After doing much research this is definitely the version you want. When many vendors are liquidating old Phantom stock at higher prices Amazon is selling the latest, and greatest cheaper. I couldn't be happier with this Amazon purchase!

I bought the DJI Phantom Aerial UAV Drone Quadcopter for GoPro on a Amazon lightening deal for $379, a deal just too good to pass up!

I've been in, and out of the RC hobby for close to 40 years. I've built, and flown airplanes for close to 30, and helicopters for close to 20 years. Quad Copters are all the rage right now, and honestly I didn't have much interest in them until recently. I want to get into aerial photography, and quad copters are the perfect platform. When I saw the DJI Phantom selling for $379 I took the plunge. For $379 I knew I couldn't build a quad copter for less especially considering the Phantom is built with quality components. The Naza-M (V2) controller with GPS sensor alone sells for $300.

Once I placed the amazon order I went straight to the DJI website, and watched all the Phantom videos, downloaded and printed all the manuals, and downloaded and installed the necessary Phantom software. I read thru all the manuals, and was excited to to fly something new.

When the Phantom arrived my initial impressions of the Phantom are very good. It comes very well packaged, and includes everything you need to get into the air minus a Phillips head screwdriver, and 4 AA batteries. The Phantom construction also impressed me, and it feels like its solidly made. I personally think quad copters are rather ugly, but the Phantom is not a bad looking machine.

If you take the time to watch the videos, and read thru the manuals you will have zero trouble getting the Phantom built.

I put the Phantom battery on the charger as soon as I opened the box, and started assembling the Phantom. This is literally installing a total of 8 screws to secure the landing gear to the body. I had the Phantom unboxed, and ready to fly in less than 5 minutes. The battery however took about an hour to charge. Once the battery was charged I popped 4 AA in the transmitter, turned it on, plugged in the battery to the phantom, connected it to my laptop, and checked and upgraded the Naza firmware. My Phantom came with version 4.0 and the current is 4.02.

Once this was done I took it outside, and rebooted it, and calibrated the compass. Then I powered it down, and installed the self tightening propellers, and took it back outside for its maiden flight. The Phantom is super stable, and easy to fly. Granted I have extensive experience flying RC models, however the Phantom is almost hands free requiring very little input once in a hover. Never flying a quad before I actually enjoyed its flight characteristics, and was having a blast flying it around. Unfortunately the battery running out of juice grounded me right when I was getting into it. I didn't time my 1st flight, but it was probably under 10 minutes or it felt like it was.

I've flown phantom several times keeping record of flight times, and I'm averaging right around 10 minutes for basic hovering carrying a 5oz Polaroid XS100 action camera. The Polaroid XS100 is strapped to the Phantom with a Polaroid helmet mount that came with the camera. The XS100 had zero jello effect at 720 @ 60fps or 1080 @ 30fps. Anyone looking for a cheap alternative to the GoPro should take a look at the Polaroid XS100. I got my XS100 thru Amazon on a lightening deal for $100, and I'm really happy with XS100/Phantom setup. For under $500 I have a fully functional HD video aerial drone.

I will definitely be ordering more batteries in the days to come.

Pros:
1.) packaged well
2.) Nice build quality
8.) Self tightening propellers
9.) comes with an additional set of propellers
10.) Cool green and red LEDs make it highly visible
11.) Version 1.1.1

Cons:
1.) Battery compartment and wiring. You have to be careful stuffing the wires in the compartment, and when your removing the battery. This is typical for electrics, but its cumbersome nonetheless.
2.) The Transmitter is kinda cheesy, but for the money it will do. I will most likely install my Hitec Aurora 9X radio down the road to have telemetry. I also don't like the throttle stick being centered all the time.
3.) flight time, its just not long enough. I've never been a big electric guy for this reason. I like to gas and go, and not wait around for batteries to charge.
4.) Blinking indication LED requires you to remember the color patterns to decipher what its telling you. Not big deal but confusing at first. (I've nick named my Phantom Blinky)

Conclusion:
For $379 the DJI Phantom Aerial UAV Drone Quadcopter for GoPro is a great buy. Anyone with any prior experience flying RC models will probably have little trouble flying the phantom, and definitely will get a kick out of it. Anyone without any experience should take their time, read and watch the DJI manuals and videos. It would also be a good idea to find someone that has experience, and have them help you until you feel comfortable flying alone. This could be the difference between an enjoyable day, and a expensive day. For someone that's never been in the RC hobby or flow RC models the Phantom has a substantial learning curve associated with it, however it can be mastered if you take your time, and practice. The Phantom is not a toy, and I wouldn't recommend it for someone not old enough to understand the basic fundamentals of flight and electronics. In inexperienced hands the Phantom has the potential to cause personal injury, and even damage to property. Be safe and have fun!
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse