Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2011, 9:26:56 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Has anyone heard anything on what kind of DRM this game is going to use? I can live with some types, but others I avoid completely.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011, 9:46:43 AM PDT
MrImmoli says:
It's EA so probably online authentication or something like that.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-AMR/alice-madness-returns

Gamersgate lists the DRM as "Other DRM"...not sure what that means though.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011, 4:22:27 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
I'm speculating myself on the DRM based on what EA has done before. I guess at this point I'm just going to wait and see what pops up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011, 12:02:52 AM PDT
It's online =). -confirmed I have the game-

Posted on Jun 15, 2011, 11:29:35 AM PDT
bryssa says:
Almost guaranteed that it ties to EA's new Origin service (that name is such a low blow...) quite a bit like Steamworks ties to Steam.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011, 8:00:10 PM PDT
MrImmoli says:
Seems I wont be buying this game...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011, 12:58:11 PM PDT
H.Le says:
Alice: Madness Returns is now available on Steam.

I am no fan of Steam, but when it comes down to making a purchase decision between Valve's Steamworks and EA's Origin, I will pick Steam over Origin any day. At the least, Valve have shown their Customer respect and appreciation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011, 7:46:47 PM PDT
I. wilson says:
respect and appreciation? like not allowing their own customers resell any of their games, or by forcing them to use their "service" just to install/play many games, at least give them the option if they actually do respect and appreciate their customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011, 9:22:12 AM PDT
H.Le says:
I. wilson,

For clarification, please keep in mind that my previous post is not a tribute to Steam; it is a comparison between Steam and Origin. If you check out the DRM discussion threads (please let me know if you need links), you will see that I am one of the most active participants and you'll also see where I stand on DRM in general and Steam in particular.

As you pointed out, the issue of lack of true ownership with a Steam game is obvious - and it is something that I have criticized repeatedly. On the the other hand though, I think Steam is a viable distribution outlet for indie developers and feature some great sales on their games with very low price on a regular basis. And last but not least, I truly believe Steam is very careful not to piss off their Customers (eg. you don't see Gabe Newell making condescending remarks about Gamers who criticized them like EA executives did).

As is, my personal stance on Steam is a very simple one: As a reasonable compromise for limiting my
ownership rights, the average price I am willing to pay for Steam game is $30 or less.

As for EA's origin, although it recently launched this month, it actually is EA Online Store and Downloader revamped and renamed in order to copy and compete with Steam. As is, based on what I have seen so far, it is similar to Steam in most way. However, the biggest difference in my eyes is that Origin is owned by EA ! And as far as contrast/comparison go, I think we all know how EA compared and where they stand when it comes to developer support and Customer respect.

In conclusion, for those Customers who must buy Alice: Madness Returns at this time, I simply want to suggest another alternative - and although it is not ideal, it is a better alternative than EA Origin IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011, 5:37:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2011, 5:37:35 PM PDT
Gordon says:
Origin is not required to play.

It appears to be online activation is all that is needed.

When I tried to install Origin it failed. It gave me some odd ball message telling me it could not install it in any directory I tried.

I aborted the install of Origin and loaded up Alice with no problems.

At this point Origin appears to be nothing more than limited selection store with social networking options.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011, 6:11:01 AM PDT
H.Le says:
Thank you for the update. I can now confirm that Origin is an option and is not mandatory. I can also confirm that Alice Madness Returns uses account ties-in DRM scheme - similar to Dragon Age 2. One must create an account and activate the game online with EA. The key code is then permanently ties into your account to restrict paying Customers from resale and gifting.

The following is taken directly from the back of the box of Alice: Madness Returns (I added the stars for emphasis):

"EA account, registration with enclosed *single-use* serial code, internet connection and acceptance of end user license agreement required to play and access bonus content (if any). Serial code is *non-transferable* once used."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Alice: Madness Returns - PC
Alice: Madness Returns - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
3.5 out of 5 stars (181)