Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2009, 10:45:02 AM PDT
Since they run around the same price, what system would you recommend overall the DSi or any incarnation of the PSP?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2009, 11:19:17 AM PDT
Aaron says:
They're very different systems. The DS is a better portable with more software, but the PSP has more traditional, hardcore games. I would not buy a PSP until after E3, when it's speculated that a new PSP will be announced. I have both and the DSi is a solid choice, with the PSP being a future purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2009, 4:54:20 AM PDT
Pebbles says:
Well to be quite frank a week after the dsi came out I gave my PSP to my little cousin because of numerous reason's like:

You have to have fast hand & eye cordination which I don't I have slow hand & eye cordination.

Not that many games being released for the PSP either.

Not to mention when I did have the PSP & would try to buy games for it basically the system is slanted to more suit a guy there are ton's of guy games for it but see me being a girl doesn't help me when I was looking for girl games for it. Hense forth another reason why I gave it to my little cousin he's around 10 or 11.

Go with the DSI you'll enjoy it plus it already has a ton of games out there already starting from the original DS boy, girl, educational, hardcore, you name it. The DSI has it.

Posted on Apr 27, 2009, 6:10:29 PM PDT
J. Demick says:
I would recommend the PSP. For one thing I bought my PSP for $110! The DSI is $60 more! For another thing, you can download music to the PSP very easily. And yet for another thing you might not be able to take pictures on your PSP, but if you have a digital camera, than you can take whatever picture you wanted download it to the computer, and then download it to the PSP. And last, but not least, the games. PSP has alot of interesting games, such as: Pursuit Force Extreme Justice, Killzone Liberation, Ghost Rider, Silent Hill Origins, Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai, Call of Duty Roads to Victory, Flatout: Head On, Star Wars the Force Unleashed, and Coded Arms. The Ds doesn't have ANY of those, except for Star Wars the Force Unleashed, which looks horrible! So I would really recommend you get a PSP.

Posted on Apr 28, 2009, 4:32:46 PM PDT
Monkeyballs says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009, 4:31:44 AM PDT
Pebbles says:
I still say the DSI has way more to offer.

Oh & on the psp you can take pictures with it you just need to get the camera accessory I looked into it a while back they sell it on amazon the last time I checked but that was a while ago.

& on the DSI you can download music & games. Personally I thought what I paid for the DSI was well worth it downloadable game's & music plus camera's & the internet. What ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009, 5:00:24 PM PDT
Aaron says:
Goku,

You can't download music on the DSi. You can place music files in AAC format on the DSi using a computer.

As for downloadable games, the Sony Store has the DS beat by a mile, since it offers a plethora of games, themes and wallpapers, videos, demos, etc, whereas the DSi is yet to show what the DS Shop can be.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2009, 11:38:48 AM PDT
Bernard G says:
You can download music and games from a psp too

Posted on May 25, 2009, 4:59:22 PM PDT
Middlebunny says:
General thoughts on the PSP vs DSi debate:
I was a PC gamer before expensive PC system glitches forced me to go back to a Console system. My first choice was the PSP 2000. I liked it a lot in 2007 but grew tired of the small screen and the limited amount of games for people over 40 that don't feature sports, 1st person shooters, flashing lights, or blood/guts. My PSP 2000 is now under a pile of Mac computer games. I finally gave up my affinity for Windows based computer games and I haven't touched the PSP in months. I was introduced to Nintendo when I purchased the Wii at the end of 2008. I love that system and am now a Nintendo fan. The range of games available via Nintendo is fairly large and access to older games on other platforms is available via the Wii Shop by means of WiiWare and Virtual Console.

I am now considering purchasing a DSi within the next few months. It would be great to have DSWare/DS Virtual Console and downloading capability for my hand held device. Although you can download items from the Sony site via the internet, the controls on the PSP really aren't conducive to web-browsing. I'm in my 40's and crave convenience/simplicity when relaxing from an intense day at work. It is much easier to download and web-browse on a computer which severely compromises the utility of having hand-held web-access via the PSP. I also have an I-Phone which makes my PSP look like a dinosaur when one considers the PSP's crappy web browsing capabilities. Unfortunately, my I-Phone doesn't have access to some of the games historically available for console systems like Zelda, Harvest Moon, etc. and the screen size is a little too small.

For me, the question isn't whether the DSi is better than the PSP. Instead, the question is whether I should buy the DSi or get the less costly DS. I'm leaning toward the DSi. The PSP is a great system with many capabilities and awesome graphics. Unfortunately, the range of existing PSP games or those in development is limited. I just think there is a broader range with the DSi; however, you should make your selection based on the games you want to play. If you know what games you want to play, select the system which has the most advanced capabilities for those games. If the game is only available on one system versus another, select the system with the greatest # of interesting games. You can also search You-tube to view player videos of games on specific systems and see if you like the look.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2009, 5:27:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2009, 5:28:15 PM PDT
Dorian Gray says:
Although the DSi's are really nice, I might actually recommend the DS Lite because it plays GBA games. You can get them really cheap (3-5 bucks used), and there are some great classics you can find at most used game stores.

Again, I'm not bashing the DSi by any means. However, at times I find myself getting bored with my current collection of DS games and picking up a quality GBA game.

Of course, Nintendo may have plans to release some GBA games for download, but it will probably take quite a bit of time.

Posted on May 25, 2009, 5:47:35 PM PDT
Eagle Vision says:
I like my DSi. I was shopping the other day, and I personally did not find any GBA games that I wanted to play. If you do have existing titles in your library, I would recommend the DS Lite. You can also play Guitar Hero on a Lite and not a DSi. However, I use the DSi like a web-browser using "PDA or Mobile Friendly" websites.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2009, 8:45:13 PM PDT
Middlebunny says:
Thank you Eagle Vision and Dorian Gray. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm a Nintendo Newbie as I only became interested in it as a gaming system in November 2008 when I got my Wii. I was previously a Sega, Sony Playstation/PSP and PC-gamer; thus, I don't currently own any GBA games. I have been doing some research on them just to see if I might like to buy some of the classics. I've decided that I could probably wait to see what Nintendo decides to do with DS-Ware and see if they expand to include downloadable GBA games. In the meantime, the DSi (versus the DS-lite) seems like the best choice for me. Thanks again.

Posted on May 30, 2009, 9:38:08 AM PDT
Eagle Vision says:
I have not been too happy with DSiWare except for Real Soccer. They seem to release new games every week, or every other. I did not want to 'settle for' the initial offerings with my 'free 1000' points.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2009, 4:00:39 PM PDT
Pebbles says:
Aaron,

I don't mean this rude or offensive and I appriate the helpful advice but you gotta understand I am autistic and that has slowed me a bit in some knowledge even with video games like with the computer I don't know how to download stuff heck the DSI took me almost 3 to 4 hours setting up and that's with reading the instruction booklet and having help from my parent's and I'm 21. As far as the PSP goes I knew you could download stuff to the PSP using the computer the only problem was I don't know how to download stuff to a PSP that's why I gave it to my cousin because I didn't feel like messing with the system and keep getting frustrated.

I'm so of computer illiterate which mean's I really don't know a real lot about the computer I know how to surf the web and that's about it. The only reason how I know how to use the DSI Shop is because nintendo makes it pretty simple to understand espicially with the word saying download I know if I press the button then I get the downloadable games. I know how to do that downloading. But on a regular computer I don't know how and am not allowed. Sorry.

I started using a computer when I was 12 at school for educational purposes. But like I said to me the computer is kind of for in to me. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2009, 4:05:24 PM PDT
Pebbles says:
Eagle Vision,

I agree with you I haven't been real thrilled with the DSI Shop too as far as selection goes the popstar game is alright but not really my thing though. Dr. Mario is cool though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2009, 4:11:03 PM PDT
Pebbles says:
Middlebunny,

I kept my:

GBA SP
DS Lite
DSI

Couldn't be happier. If you have those three system's you can't go wrong. Because then you have four generation's of games to play:

GB
GBC
GBA

Which the GBA SP can play all three.
plus the ds lite and dsi have good stuff too.

Posted on May 30, 2009, 7:04:15 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 9, 2009, 2:21:23 AM PDT
GhostSquad57 says:
DSi is way better than psp

Posted on Aug 10, 2009, 1:19:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2009, 5:49:29 PM PDT
Dana, it really depends on the kind of games that you like to play. I have both a PSP and a DSi, but I much prefer the DSi due to the game lineup. I tend to prefer point-and-click adventures, puzzle games, and word games in addition to platformers and RPGs. If you like those kinds of games, I'd definitely recommend the DSi. If you prefer fighting games, first person shooters, or action games, then I think the PSP might be a better option for you. What are your gaming interests?

Posted on Sep 21, 2009, 6:16:44 PM PDT
Pat says:
I Traded in my DS lite (& some old PS2 games) at gamestop for the DSi about a week after they came out and only payed $70.00 for it. If you could do that than I would go with the DSi. The DSi's battery also lasts a lot longer than the PSP's but all of the features of the DSi really havent been used to its fullest. Games that utilize the touch screen sometimes are cumbersome to play and it takes away from the game.

But the PSP has a lot more features to it and the power of the PSP trumps the DSi. Plus there are a ton of new cool games that are coming out like GranTourismo, Patopon 2 and Fina Fantasy Dissidia is already out. I am geting a PSP 3000 FF bundle (the PSP go really doesn't have all of the features to really justify the price) so I will repost then to see wich one I like more.

Posted on Oct 25, 2009, 3:08:20 PM PDT
M. Stewart says:
Can anyone here tell me if ameritrade works on the psp or dsi? and If I can deploy streamer? Also Can I use either one as a Cable TV?

Thanks Thess questions will decide what system I buy.

Posted on Nov 4, 2009, 9:56:35 AM PST
I am looking to buy a handheld for my daughter (age 6) for Christmas. We are trying to decided between the PSP and DSi. When looking at the games on Amazon it looked like the majority of games for the PSP were oriented towards adults or males. Whereas it looked like there were more games aimed toward children on the DSi. However, we like the idea of watching videos and listening to music which the PSP offers. Because we are mainly getting it as the gaming device, I'm leaning more towards the DSi. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about it? Thanks!

Posted on Nov 4, 2009, 9:56:42 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 4, 2009, 9:56:58 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2009, 5:02:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2009, 5:03:40 PM PST
P. Orton says:
Wow... I'm surprised nobody's mentioned one of the ONLY good things the PSP has to offer, in which, this trumps any DS by far. The PSP has unbelievable homebrew; you can play GBC, GBA, N64, Sega Genesis, SNES, NES, PS1, PSP (download them for free), as well as a barrage of other games. You can even listen to music being channeled from the PSP while playing a game on it at the same time. The DS s-hits its pants compared to those specs. The only reason I would ever consider a DS is for the Pokemon games it has, but rather, I play them on my computer. Unfortunately, for me, the DS is only good for its pokemon games, and spending $160 on one just to play a couple of games is a little far fetched. So I say the PSP, due to its versatility.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009, 8:51:29 PM PST
G. Cat says:
Michelle, I would recommend the DSi for your 6 year old girl. My son has a PSP, and except for a few choices like Loco Roco, the games are very "male" oriented--fighting, racing (not that there aren't girls and women who like that type of game, but it's probably not the type of game a little girl would be interested in). Having a 7 year old daughter, and looking into a dsi for her for Christmas, I have found a lot more games that will interest her on the dsi. Nintendo ds/dsi just seems to have games for a wider range of ages and interests. She likes animal games, "my sims" type games and puzzle games especially, and has requested "rhythm heaven" which she played at a store. I'm also buying her "scribblenauts"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Apr 23, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

This discussion is about
Nintendo DSi - Matte Black
Nintendo DSi - Matte Black by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.5 out of 5 stars (1,464)