Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Sam Bush details the dominant mandolin styles from Bill Monroe to Newgrass! He demonstrates powerful techniques while teaching ten classic tunes: Paddy on the Turnpike * Gray Eagle * Sugarfoot Rag * Sapporo * Bill Cheatham * East Virginia Blues * Wayfaring Stranger * Manzanita * Banks of the Ohio * Sittin' on Top of the World. 100-MINUTE VIDEO * INCLUDES MUSIC + TAB * LEVEL 3/4.
Top customer reviews
Like most instrument instructional videos that I have seen, this one starts out with tuning, and a brief explanation of how to tune the instrument. The pace picks up rapidly from there, jumping right into the songs. The real meat of the video comes from Sam showing you different picking, phrasing, and note selections based on the styles of true mandolin giants like Bill Monroe, and even Mr. Bush himself, on the same song.
If you are a stickler for little details, you will notice that the notes in the included music/tablature do not always follow exactly what Sam is playing, but that is part of the fun of learning to play this style of music.
My only small gripe about the video is that there is no real explanation of the theory behind the styles that Sam is showing you how to play. The video is literally Sam playing the song full speed, slowing it down and taking each song part by part, and then playing it again in a different style.
All in all, I really enjoyed and learned a lot from the video, but again, if you are not a proficient mandolin player, you will probably be better served by getting either: DVD- The Sam Bush Mandolin Methodor Essential Techniques for Mandolin
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Educational
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Arts & Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Independently Distributed > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Independently Distributed
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > TV