Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2007, 6:49:53 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
I just got the DVD yesterday and it won't play.

I tried it on 2 different DVD players. The first one it would say "play" but I just had a blank screen. The second DVD player just said "loading" and I couldn't get the DVD out. I had to mash random buttons to get the disc back again.

I'm sending it back to Amazon for a replacement, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

My mom and I were looking forward to watching it after our Thanksgiving dinner... We were so bummed out when it wouldn't play.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2007, 8:01:46 PM PST
Joe Norton says:
The same happened to me. I bought the Shake and Shimmy Edition. I have a DVD recorder in my room and a PlayStation 2. I usually watch my movies on my DVD recorder and use the PS2 for games. I put in in my DVD recorder and it came up and said bad disc. I ejected it and put it in again. The screen came up black and displayed 2 seconds on the counter and WOULD NOT do anything. I had to unplug my DVD recorder to get it to come out. I then placed it in my PS2 and it play just fine. It also works on our DVD player in our living room.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2007, 8:06:27 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
I bought the same edition.

When put in my PS2 it said "Play" but never did anything. It was just a black screen for like 5 minutes. The second disc works just fine.

I guess I won't be surprised when my replacement DVD doesn't work either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2007, 8:31:45 PM PST
M. Hudelson says:
I'm having the same problem...I got mine from Walmart and I even exchanged it today and it does the same thing. I have no problem with the bonus disc, but when I put the movie disc in it either won't load at all or it will just sit with a blank screen. I've tried it on two different dvd players and it won't work on either. However, when I put it in my portable dvd player it works just fine. I'm so frustrated with it. I can't figure anything out about why it won't play on either of our standard dvd players.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2007, 11:47:37 AM PST
Aurons Girl says:
Yeah, Disc 2 works fine for me.

I guess I'll be prepared to send the replacement back when I get it on Tuesday.

If that one doesn't work I guess I'll try my luck with the regular version. Hopefully that one will work.

It's just really weird that disc 1 won't play. I wonder whats up with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007, 3:34:25 AM PST
shs1234 says:
I had the same problem: disk 1 does not play in the dvd player hooked up to my tv, but it works in my laptop (a mac). I have no problem with disk 2 in my regular dvd player.

I took mine back to Walmart to exchange it, and the replacement had the same issues. Disk 1 wouldn't play and disk 2 was fine. I may take it back again and keep trying until it works.

I have watched several other dvds before and after, so I know it isn't the player. I hate that others are experiencing problems, but I am glad I am not the only one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007, 12:03:14 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
I got my second copy today and it still doesn't work. I wasn't surprised.

I'm going to send this one back and get a refund. I'm going to try the regular edition and see what happens.

At least I only have to make one trip to the post office. I still have to send back the first dvd.

And yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems. At first I just thought it was my DVD players.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007, 3:03:32 AM PST
Dvd Viewer says:
I've had the same "loading" problem / 3 different dvd's on 2 different players...I emailed newline (per their FAQ's) , the distributor, and they finally got back to me to tell me they are looking into to this...go to thier web site and email them at.. dvdteam@newline.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007, 7:33:40 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
Thank you for the e-mail address. I'm going to e-mail them right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007, 9:24:32 PM PST
Art Guy says:
We have the same problem. On the front cover of the Hairspray disc, it says "DVD Video ROM." If you have an older DVD player (I'm guessing) it won't read the disc. On our other two players, it works, but the DVD players are newer. Most DVDs are labeled "DVD Video" and play on all machines. Yes, I agree, it "stinks" because our main DVD player is in the family room. I am hoping there is another version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007, 9:29:51 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
I didn't even notice that it says "DVD Video Rom" on it. We have 3 DVD players in the house, but both of them are the same.

I guess these companies don't think things through when selling their products. I'm not going out and buying a new DVD player just to play a few movies. And I'm not going to sit at my laptop for two hours watching a movie.

I ordered the regular edition today. Maybe they didn't make that a DVD Video Rom.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2007, 8:54:31 AM PST
NEW LINE has put a new copy protection encryption on this and their other newly released DVD, which is causing many playback problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007, 10:20:29 PM PST
G. Bogdanoff says:
Oh, that's just great. Why does it seem like the film and music industries hate their customers?

I got this twice from Netflix, and I can't watch it. I'm glad I didn't try to buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007, 11:42:28 AM PST
Aurons Girl says:
I just bought my 3rd DVD (hoping it will play), but surprise it didn't. I figured if I tried a different version maybe it would work.

The companies now just seem to care about money. They don't care about quality control anymore. EA came out with this thing to prevent people from illegally distributing their games. And they are denying it, but after people install these games on the computer it pretty much ruins the computers. It disables their firewalls, virus scanners, cd burners and all that. And their latest expansion despite this what they put on the game showed up online the same day it was released.

I'm sending yet another e-mail to New Line to complain. And I'm refusing to purchase anything that says New Line on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007, 1:43:18 PM PST
goofyhoofy says:
Got ours, played it on an old DVD player at my folks house, worked fine. Played it on a newer DVD player at our house, worked fine. Played it in our Mac, worked fine, but the "interactive features" don't work because it needs a Windoze platform. (This is the Shimmy & Shake version, purchased at Best Buy). YMMV. [True for both discs in the box.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007, 11:27:18 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
Lucky. I'm jealous.

I didn't even attempt to put the DVD in my computer. I didn't want anything to happen to my brand new laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007, 3:27:11 PM PST
Kris says:
Same problem. Rented the DVD and it wouldn't play on our Family room DVD. Thought it was a problem with the disc. We then bought it for Christmas and it won't play. Plays fine in the other DVD player in the house.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2007, 10:59:16 PM PST
N. Wilkey says:
I have the regular edition and it is also DVD Video/Rom and I can't get it to play on my DVD player...so disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007, 1:16:40 PM PST
J. Rau says:
Same here. Widescreen regular edition and it won't play on our DVD player. Works fine in my computer - just not the DVD player. Emailed New Line and got an auto-reply asking for details and telling me they were out of the office until January 2. I feel a Today Show or GMA segment coming on from this...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007, 9:30:00 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
I e-mailed New Line twice about the DVD's. The first time I got an automated response asking me details and the second time I complained no one ever got back to me.

I've been debating if I should contact the local news about it. They do segments all the time about stuff like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2008, 2:23:26 PM PST
Mom in VA says:
Same problem here! Ugh, that sucks. It played fine on two players while we were away but will not play here at home. Hoping somebody comes up with an answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008, 8:10:56 PM PST
B. Abner says:
It won't work on newer DVD players. It will work on older (much older) dvd players. There some kind of copyright protection that new players can't process and the older players don't recognize it and skip over it.

This is for all versions of this DVD regardless of where you buy it. You need to contact New Line Cinema's and let them know you're not happy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008, 7:43:17 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
My DVD Players have to be at least almost 7 years old now.

I did contact them twice. First time I got an automated reply asking me about my DVD players and the second time I never received a reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008, 7:43:18 PM PST
I had contacted New Line at the address provided above by a poster (dvdteam@newline.com) and went through answering the questions and all and that was back in November. Well, today I received an E-mail thanking me for my patience while they 'investigated' the issue and asking for my mailing address so that they could send me a replacement disc. I encourage folks on here who've encountered the 'dvd wont play' issue to E-mail New Line at the address provided, answer the questions and hope you get put on the list to have a replacement mailed to you. They said in the message that it should take two weeks upon receipt of the E-mail and mailing address to get.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008, 7:46:11 PM PST
Aurons Girl says:
I got an e-mail about a week ago saying they didn't know what the cause of the problem was and they'd let me know when they found out.

I'll wait a few days and see what happens. Maybe another e-mail is in order.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2007
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers