Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on August 6, 2013
Cons:
1) It seems cheap - just like the dx6i I'm replacing. The dx6i had a toggle menu button the went bad after less than six months and this does not seem any higher quality.
2) The screen is poor resolution.
3) The battery pack is not lipo. I assumed it would be for this price - now that lipos can be purchased for all of $10.
4) I think it's just a pity that they didn't design this to work on all spektrum receivers.

Pros:
1) Backlit screen - it's truly amazing that a $1. led flashlight can be bought at the dollar store but I have to spend an extra $200. mainly for a backlit screen, since I don't want to mess around with it.
2) Higher model memory. Aside from the faulty button in my dx6i I'm getting this 90% because I have sixteen planes and helicopters and the dx6i only has 10 model memories. I'd frankly prefer it if the dx6i simply came with a few more memory slots. What would that cost? All of $10?
3) The storage card is a great idea - but also less relevant when the memory is big.

I'm mostly complaining because that's the kind of mood this left me with: $430. for a few extra features and no confidence that this button, which looks the same, won't break like the last one. I can't imagine this whole thing costing more than $20-30. to manufacture so I wish they put just a bit more into prolonging it's life and increasing the quality. It would be nice to see this as a lifetime investment, since I'm never going to use more than 4-6 channels for anything. As it is I imagine it will last a few years.
on January 3, 2014
I'm happy with the ease of use of this transmitter and its many features. Before dropping 400+ dollars on a similar transmitter again, I would perhaps shop around for a Futaba or JR that offered the same features for a lower price. I did have one issue connecting the Rx with a T-Rex ESC, and the customer support person at Horizon Hobbies was completely useless in helping me figure out the issue. He incorrectly diagnosed the Rx was defective, and suggested I sent it to Horizon at my expense and wait two to three weeks as it was being repaired and shipped back. As I later found, the Rx could not be bound to the radio when the power was routed through the ESC. Luckily I found advice on an RC forum and connected a battery directly to the Rx to bind it.

In sum, this is a very good transmitter that has worked flawlessly for about 8 months. It was unfortunate that I had such a bad experience with Horizon customer service, which is why i may shop around for an alternative brand Tx next time i'm in the market.
on February 22, 2014
I haven't had the problems that some reviewers claim. I use mine with Hobbyking Orange receivers as well as Spektrum branded units. I like the telemetry features that are available. I run battery voltage and altitude on my quad and hex copters. I wish you could get to the model management menu from the main menu, but other than that, its awesome. Get the lipo pack, which just runs and runs. I removed the metal neck strap clip and substituted a piece of paracord to keep from scratching the face of the unit - it doesn't rattle either.
on February 9, 2017
Have been flying with this for 2+ years now and it's still going strong with the exception of a broken antenna (quick fix) and aileron trim button (not so quick fix). I also clipped down many of the switches to avoid them snagging and breaking. Overall a good, reliable experience.
on February 11, 2014
I just started flying RC. One bit of advice I read was don't be afraid to spend money on the things that stay on the ground, as opposed to the things that tend to hit the ground from hundreds of feet up. I wanted a radio I could grow into as I start learning how to build, fly, and not crash so much, FPV multicopters. The DX8 has been a wonderful tool so far.
on January 18, 2013
This is my second Spektrum transmitter and I wasn't disappointed. Easy setup, great response, and long range. Can't ask for more. I bought this to run a multicopter and it was a great choice. There is plenty of information available online for connecting this transmitter to almost anything.
on October 6, 2013
This bundle comes with the transmitter DX8, the receiver AR8000 and the telemetry TM1000, including sensors to RPM brushless, battery voltage and temperature. It's very useful. All you need is inside, even the neck-strap. I liked.
on July 28, 2015
Great deal!!
on January 1, 2011
I use this radio with helicopters and my son uses it with a plane. I love it, and really wouldn't change anything about it. The big screen gives you plenty of information and the scrolling wheel is easy to use and fast. The number of features is astounding, but it's not complicated to use. I can really trim and adjust everything related to my helicopters. I would definitely buy it again.
on September 27, 2010
I was following the buzz in RC airplane/heli circles about the new DX8 transmitter, but I didn't plan to get one.
Then American Express announced that Membership Reward Points could be used on Amazon.com and I had accumulated a lot of points.
"I wonder if Amazon has the new Spektrum DX8?" I said. Wow! There it was! Sold.

Now that I have my DX8, what I like best is the ergonomics, the feel, the balance. I love the rubber grips and the easy programming.
It balances better than my DX7 and the programming is a piece of cake. I first flew with it yesterday, and for me, it lives up to its promise. It just feels great in my hands.

There are a lot of features that will appeal to those who will use them, including telemetry allowing you to monitor RC aircraft systems such as receiver battery voltage, engine temperature or flight pack voltage in real time. I don't know if I'll use the telemetry features. I just like the box. I really like the ability to program the flight timer to activate with throttle (I always forget to manually start the timer).

Should there arise a glitch or two in this new product I know from dealing with Horizon Hobby (the vendor) that all will be quickly rectified.

The DX8 is a winner.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question