Industrial Deals Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 5, 2015
I just didn't care for this book. I am glad others liked it but it was not for me. The main character was unbelievable and I didn't care for the murdering of children or the beating of the dog. I know it goes on but I don't want to read about it for entertainment. Also, some of the sexual scenes in the book especially the one in the airplane at the end made me feel dirty.
on June 1, 2014
I am wondering if the people who posted these rave reviews have ever read a good thriller before. This is not one. I am halfway through this clichéd mess, and if it wasn't for my determination not to give up this 1-star thriller would have been deleted at 17% read. The protagonist, Holly Jennings, tries too hard to seem tough, it just doesn't work. She even has the "everyone thinks I'm beautiful but me" syndrome I have read far too often to be amused anymore. The police banter, the token office sexual discrimination...it is all just cringe-worthy so far. If I get through this entire book, I will get back to post an addendum to this review. Don't count on it, my determination is fading.

After reading the entire book a few hours later: Although the second half moves a bit more fluid than the first, there is little meat in this book meal. There are no surprises, there is nothing new. It fits the saying, "same old, same old" to a tee. If you have nothing else to read, then fine, read it. But, if you have a choice, pass.
on June 23, 2016
Holly Jennings works for the Crime Scene Unit of the San Diego PD. Life for her is an up hill battle always trying to keep a sure footing in a male dominated profession. When she becomes the lead investigator trying to catch a serial killer know as The Family Man, the going gets really tough. The stakes are raised when the search becomes personal and she becomes the target of the elusive murderer/rapist she wants to stop.

I found the book to be well written, well edited and it moves along at a swift pace. It's one of those books that within the first couple of chapters I thought I knew what the endgame was ... only to find out the book, filled with many surprises had totally outwitted me!

Having read an A.K. Alexander book for the first time I'm sure I will be reading more in the future. I hope you enjoy the novel as much as I did.
on January 7, 2013
I read this book in a very short time as I could not put it down. I love the fact that the heroine of the story Holly was tough on the exterior but still had the same insecurities that normal women have. I love the way the story unfolds and that the author breaks in with the villian's thoughts and actions. If I ever had a case to investigate this is the type of cop I would want working it. It delves into the mind of a crime scene investigator and the methods they use. I did have some problems with parts of the book, they seemed a little far fetched but overall a very good read. I did not realize that this author had written 3 other books that I have not read on my kindle which made me want to go read them as it was so well written. I will be writing reviews on those soon. The author shows the tough exterior along with the romantic soft side Holly tries to hide from the world along with her insecurities on love and life and late husband. The end of the book did leave me wanting more though and like I said there are parts of the story that are very far fetched. One instance is how the villian is able to just get personal information on her that is not readily available to the public even given his profession some of the information would not be able to be accessed. This is a very good read with many twist and turns. I am glad that the story delves into her overcoming her fears of a relationship with Brenden and his children. Cant wait to read the other books by this author.
Daddy's Home is a chilling psychological suspense thriller that will keep you sitting on the edge of your seat. The storyline is well written, it's non-stop action has so many twists and turns that it keeps the reader guessing what will happen next. The author weaves an intriguing story that drew me in from the beginning, and as the plot picked up I felt like I became an investigator, I wanted to help Holly solve this case and bring the killer to justice. The author provides realistic, strong and complex characters that are a lot of fun to get to know. I loved how the author made Holly such a strong capable criminalist, I was intrigued by her ability to work the case, especially how she profiled the killer and was determined to get him. I also loved how the author infused romance into the story, it wasn't over the top and it provided a great balance for all the heart-palpitating suspense that was the majority of the story. As a big murder mystery suspense thriller fan, I thought that the author's attention to detail was masterful, she provides the reader with a gripping look into the sick mind of a psychopath, and her description of the workings of a police department's crime scene investigation was top notch.

Daddy's Home is one gripping suspenseful page-turner of a thriller that is a must read. If you are a fan of the suspense thriller genre, this book is guaranteed to give you goose bumps, it is that good.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event.
on January 22, 2017
This was an exciting, fascinating story from the first to the last with hair raising events at every turn. Her long time partner stepped over boundaries. Her heart was being torn apart as she tried to keep away from a man she was drawn to in spite of herself. Her daughter and the boyfriends daughter wee put in jeopardy because of her. The finish is just as exciting as the start. I started this early evening until late morning the next day. Thankfully I'm now retired. Everyone should read this book it's great.
on May 19, 2012
I rather liked this story although as some other reviewers have pointed out there is about 50/50 mystery to romance. I really liked the two main characters Holly & Brendan so I didn't mind the romance aspect to the story. Yes, there was a brief moment when Brendan was going on and on about how he was struck down by love when he saw Holly for the first time. That was a little over the top;) Not sure a man would like that. Perhaps people who only like a mystery with no romance should skip this book.

Overall, the story was very good. You liked the characters (well all but the killer & people around him) and they were pretty well fleshed out. However, if you do not like swearing (I didn't find it particularly over the top though) and you don't like any sexual content in your stories you should probably pass on this story. It fits the story but I am sure that there are a lot of people who wouldn't want to read about it (nor the type of sexual content). None of this bothers me but I know that some people really do not like it. I have to believe though that if you like serial killer books then you should probably know this already, but I have seen many 1 stars because of it so I always mention it.

All in all, a good book. It is an easy read with not a lot of people to keep track of and sometimes you just need to read that type of book. I look forward to reading any other books from this author.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Detective Holly Jennings of the San Diego Police Department has worked on a lot of murder cases, but this one is getting to her. A serial killer is kidnapping single mothers along with their children, and killing both. That scenario hits home to Holly, as it describes her situation. Her husband was killed in the line of duty when Holly was pregnant, so it has been her and her seven year old daughter, Chloe, ever since.

The killer is escalating, and it's up to the police to determine his motivation in order to stop him. Holly believes that the killer is attempting to build a family of his own, and then killing the victims when his fantasy of them loving and accepting him is revealed as a mere dream. This kind of core drive means that he won't stop until Holly and her team can stop him. Things devolve when it becomes apparent that the killer has his sights on Holly and Chloe as his next chance at a perfect family. Can she bring this killer to justice before he takes away everything she has?

A.K. Alexander has written a suspenseful novel that will keep the reader turning the pages. Holly is a strong, resourceful woman who has the reader cheering for her. The killer, "The Family Man", is a chilling depiction of evil. The plot has a great pace and the finale is excellent. This book is recommended for mystery fans.
on January 25, 2013
I always read the negative reviews of a book before I decide if I should it. This book was free and there were only a few bad reviews, so i got it. I must say that this was the first book I read by this author and I completely disagree with the negative reviews.
I think this book was incredible, it had me completely on the edge. The psychopath in this book was so demented that I kept thinking that people like that really do exist in real life and that their way of thinking is actually normal to them. He was unbelievably sick and twisted. The female main character was a bit whiney and at times annoying but got better after a while. The story flows real smooth and easy, it is very well written in my opinion. Yes, there are cuss words in it, so if you are one of those who take insult to that, don't read it, to me it's an every day thing and normal. Overall I was very impressed with the story. Very dark, twisted and evil.
VINE VOICEon August 23, 2016
I'm really surprised at the high ratings this book received. It has violence and sex aplenty but little plot or character development. The female cop protagagonist is the usual: ball-busting, gorgeous, smarter than most men, tougher than most men. So, of course, the male characters are weak. The murderer is a real degenerate and the murders pretty sickening. I don't think the author left out any deviant perversion known to mankind.