Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Star Trek: Enterprise: Daedalus
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
HALL OF FAMEon February 20, 2004
I managed to pick up a copy of "Enterprise: Daedalus" from a local library and thought it would be a mildly pleasant diversion for a long subway ride. To Dave Stern's credit, he had me hooked with a simple plot and a credible character study of Starfleet engineer Commander Charles "Trip" Tucker of the first Starfleet ship to bear the name Enterprise. Although the ending is a bit too predictable, the rest of the book is memorable in depicting Tucker's reaction to the seizure of his ship and his involvement in a civil war within a spacefaring civlization only a few decades younger than Earth's. Fans of the current Star Trek television series "Star Trek: Enterprise" will not be disappointed with this tale.
on February 18, 2004
This novel feels a lot like a character exploration of Chief Engineer Tucker. The plot is simple but surprising well done and I enjoyed the read.
We spend the first fifty pages on the Enterprise and that is it. We spend the rest of the time exploring a civil war a new alien race and watching Trip struggle with his own first contact procedure. One of the advantages of doing this `off ship' story it is very easy to hit the reset button and get everything back to normal.
I was disappointed with the ending--too predictable. The clues and logical explanations were everywhere. I look forward to seeing how this story resolves so I am waiting to get my hands on the second part.
on March 16, 2009
I watched Enterprise when it was on TV and liked it a lot. Of course, I wish there were more than 4 seasons of the show. But since Enterprise lives on only in books, that is where I have turned.

I read Daedalus, my first Enterprise book, in 2 days. That's a first for me, even for "fun" books. There's no question this book fills one's head with long-missed images from the show. That is what I mainly wanted. On top of that, its a helluva page-turner. Stern's writing is blunt yet thorough -- fitting for the main character, Trip Tucker.

Make no mistake, you will not get a lot of time with Archer & crew in this story -- nor will you get much time aboard the Enterprise. (I still would like an Enterprise book that does those things.) But this book is a good enough story centered around a likable enough character that I don't mind the off-ship setting. There's a ton of action, too. That's key for any good Enterprise story.

Some reviewers go too far in saying this is a character study of Trip. True, it gives some background stories from when he was younger and it also puts him in some difficult decision-making situations. But a character study would link background stories to present decisions. Not so with Daedalus. You get lots of action combined with a couple flashbacks. The deepest insight you got on Tucker is that had made a conscious decision at one point in his life not to settle down with a woman. Big Deal. I actually don't hold this shallowness against the story, though. I mean only to help set expectations.

One star is missing from my rating for two reasons. I would have liked just a little more emphasis of a romantic sub-plot (perhaps I'm a spoiled Peter David fan.) I also have to say that as good as the story is, it ultimately hinges on a Sci-Fi plot mechanism that is getting a little worn, especially for Star Trek. And worse, the mechanism isn't revealed until very late in the book and it comes off as gimmicky.

Still, the book is a lot of fun to read, and as I said, it guides your imagination right back to the show you miss. I recommend it to any Enterprise fan and look forward to reading the sequel.
on November 27, 2003
I found Enterprise Daedalus to be a refreshing and entertaining read. The book features only two of the main characters after the first 50 pages. The Enterprise is captured by an alien species the Denari and only Trip and Hoshi escape and are rescued buy some other Denari who are fighting the ones who took the Enterprise. This is set against a back drop of the flight of an earier than Enterprise starship Daedalus that exploded on its maiden voyage some 15 years before. The story has an interesting twist at the end. One thing that was noticably different about this novel was the absence of a B story or plot.
on May 18, 2004
Fascinating story, good pacing, good action, deft handling of characters. The only flaw (if one agrees with me that it IS a flaw) is that it doesn't finish. It ends with a "to be continued", a practice which, common as it is, I despise. If you don't mind being left hanging until the next book for an end to the story, then consider this a five-star rating.
on December 21, 2012
It is a light, quick, satisfying read. Not many Enterprise characters, but chose the book because it featured my favourite, Trip.