Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 20 reviews
on September 21, 2017
Way to abrupt end to this episode. Usually cliff hangers have more of buildup. I feel cheated not intrigued .
on July 5, 2016
Another comfortable read. Nice story with familiar characters.
on January 30, 2015
If you like Star Trek Enterprise (the series) you will love this. I just started the sequel and so far, so good.
on September 7, 2013
Wonderful to read a Trip story, he is my favorite after Archer. A twisted plot,with many variables to keep it interesting. I look forward to the second book.
on June 11, 2012
This is a cool classic type Star Trek story. Too bad the series got cut short just as they were starting to come into their own. This would have been a great one to see on screen, highly recommend it.
on November 6, 2014
This book was as described.
on December 21, 2012
It is a light, quick, satisfying read. Not many Enterprise characters, but chose the book because it featured my favourite, Trip.
on April 5, 2017
So one of the major issues I've always had with Enterprise is that while rather sloppily trying to integrate itself into the canon the series also has a tendency to recklessly redact much which was previously canon a la Han Solo not shooting first. A perfect example of this is that the NX class, a ship designed over a decade before the founding of the Federation, is more advanced than the Daedalus, the Federation's first explorer. A ship which if memory serves Star Trek: the Magazine (which I believe was canon at the time) says topped out at about warp 4, had lasers and fusion-tipped missiles, and had a penchant for warp core breaches on extreme long-duration missions.

This is one of the few canon integrations (I mean, the Borg? REALLY?!) I like. Pushing the ship back, making it a competitor for the NX contract and then writing a story around it was actually pretty clever. I also like the nod to that one episode of TOS where Scotty waxes impressed about an ion drive.
on March 16, 2009
I watched Enterprise when it was on TV and liked it a lot. Of course, I wish there were more than 4 seasons of the show. But since Enterprise lives on only in books, that is where I have turned.

I read Daedalus, my first Enterprise book, in 2 days. That's a first for me, even for "fun" books. There's no question this book fills one's head with long-missed images from the show. That is what I mainly wanted. On top of that, its a helluva page-turner. Stern's writing is blunt yet thorough -- fitting for the main character, Trip Tucker.

Make no mistake, you will not get a lot of time with Archer & crew in this story -- nor will you get much time aboard the Enterprise. (I still would like an Enterprise book that does those things.) But this book is a good enough story centered around a likable enough character that I don't mind the off-ship setting. There's a ton of action, too. That's key for any good Enterprise story.

Some reviewers go too far in saying this is a character study of Trip. True, it gives some background stories from when he was younger and it also puts him in some difficult decision-making situations. But a character study would link background stories to present decisions. Not so with Daedalus. You get lots of action combined with a couple flashbacks. The deepest insight you got on Tucker is that had made a conscious decision at one point in his life not to settle down with a woman. Big Deal. I actually don't hold this shallowness against the story, though. I mean only to help set expectations.

One star is missing from my rating for two reasons. I would have liked just a little more emphasis of a romantic sub-plot (perhaps I'm a spoiled Peter David fan.) I also have to say that as good as the story is, it ultimately hinges on a Sci-Fi plot mechanism that is getting a little worn, especially for Star Trek. And worse, the mechanism isn't revealed until very late in the book and it comes off as gimmicky.

Still, the book is a lot of fun to read, and as I said, it guides your imagination right back to the show you miss. I recommend it to any Enterprise fan and look forward to reading the sequel.