Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Daily Rituals: How Artists Work Hardcover – Illustrated, April 23, 2013
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
- Hardcover : 278 pages
- Item Weight : 13.8 ounces
- Product dimensions : 7.46 x 5.39 x 1.17 inches
- ISBN-13 : 978-0307273604
- Publisher : Knopf; Illustrated edition (April 23, 2013)
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: #15,891 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. The people described in this book all work very hard and, frequently, VERY long hours.
2. Regular, extended exercise - usually walking - is frequently an important part of their routines.
3. They're mostly early risers, with significant exceptions, and do their best work in the first several hours of the day. There are a few nightowls but not many.
4. They have a work routine that they adhere to almost fanatically.
5. Finally, implicitly, habits are key in their successes and productivity.
There, I've saved you the price of this book.
The stories about the different artists are frequently interesting on their own account and very useful in fleshing out the "takeaways" listed above. I don't think it's intended as a self-help book. The author doesn't attempt to derive a series of lessons from his subjects' activities but a pattern emerges after reading a lot of these.
Is your creativity driven by a looming deadline? Do you need four or five cups of Diet Pepsi or tea before you can even think of putting one word on the paper? Does the rest of the world need to be sleeping for you to hit your stride? Do you sometimes type the title of an article on the page just to see words on the page? Okay, well maybe I’m the only one that does those things. If not, join the ranks of many creatives that have rituals or behaviors that get their creative muscles warmed up and ready for the battle of the blank sheet or canvas.
As a creative who grew up with other creatives, Daily Rituals piqued my interest and would hopefully feed my curious nature. Maybe this middle of the night creative could pick up a few tricks of the trade from some of the most successful artists in the world. Perhaps I could gain a little insight into how they became so successful and in some cases are still going strong. If nothing else, it would be fun to take a peek behind the curtain.
And it was. I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, informative, enjoyable read.