Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on September 22, 2010
If you've read or heard about America (The Book), know first that this book is fairly different. America (The Book) makes itself out to be a mock textbook, and has many long, hilarious text passages that skewer politics and education at the same time. However, there are also the occasional pages that are infographics, with jokes both in the images and the captions, that take up complete pages.

Now imagine that the entire book were made out of these commented infographics, with the subject matter shifted from the USA to the entire planet, and aimed at an audience of aliens who find the Earth deserted after the human race spectacularly manufactures its own demise, and you have Earth (The Book).

If you haven't read America (The Book) - and if not, what are you waiting for? You can grab the paperback for less than $10 here on Amazon - just think of this as the anti-coffee table book. It's a tome that delightfully destroys all aspects of society, from our perceptions of aliens to the planet itself to commerce, religion and culture. It can be picked up occasionally and flipped to a random page, as each joke is encapsulated and confined. Or, it can be read large sections at a time, with every word and picture perused until you can laugh no more. There is at least one brilliant joke per page, and quite often more than that.

This book pokes fun at anything and everything, and you may find the finger pointing at yourself now and again. If you can't laugh at your own idiosyncrasies and beliefs, skip this book and recommend it to someone with a sense of humor. If you can't take a joke, this book isn't for you.

The only down side, one that America (The Book) has less of a problem with, is that some of the jokes can't stand the test of time in the long term. In 50 years, the numerous pop culture references throughout the book will be largely forgotten, lost to the winds of time. It's better that way, of course, as their shallowness is a significant reason why this book makes fun of them. So perhaps this won't be one of the great literary classics, discussed and venerated for all time, but there's certainly enough timeless humor in here for it to be funny at least as long as you'll be alive. Get it now, and leave it in a conspicuous place when you're not reading it (the coffee table, perhaps?), so that when we do destroy ourselves, the aliens can see this message.

Hopefully, they'll get the joke.
66 comments| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon September 23, 2010
Are you a fan of the Daily Show and Jon Stewart? Are you in the market for a funny, visual coffee table book that takes shots at pretty much every demographic on the planet? If so, then Earth is probably the book for you. Even if you're not a fan of Jon Stewart in particular, I'll bet you get a kick out of this book - assuming you don't take yourself too seriously. Sense of humor is definitely required.

Earth is formatted as a fun hybrid between a middle school textbook and The Old Farmer's Almanac. Pretty much every page is fun to look at, and the whole book is packed with photos, illustrations, factoids, and captions. Earth is relatively light on actual prose, so don't expect the chapter structure of a typical book. Each page has about 100 different things on it, which I personally found a bit overwhelming at times reading this one from cover to cover. This isn't really a huge complaint, especially if you're going to be reading it more casually or using it as a coffee table book - but I thought it was worth mentioning.

If any of this sounds good to you, then I'd be surprised if you didn't get your money's worth with Earth. Have fun with the Daily Show's memoir of our little blue planet.
on September 21, 2010
Very funny and informative, if you like Jon Stewart you will enjoy the book. As with most material that touches on evolution, it will likely make creationists uncomfortable. A sense of humor is required. Enjoy!
22 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2010
First off I'm a huge fan of The Daily Show. I even went to see a taping last year when I was visiting NYC. Anyway they've really been pushing this book hard on the show so I decided to pick up a copy. I didn't really know what to expect from it, but I did expect a little more content then there really was. This "book" is mostly just a collection of pictures with funny little captions/blurbs next to them. It kept me mildly entertained in the bathroom a few minutes at a time, but is not something I would have sat down and read straight through.

What really baffles me though is how they could possibly have turned this into an audio book. Like I said it's mostly pictures, how they translated that to an audio book is beyond me.

Anyway it's OK for a fan of the show looking for something light to read in the bathroom, but you're unlikely to be entertained enough by it read it in more then 10-15 minute stints.
66 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2010
This is tremendous fun. It is too bad the country seems to be so idiotically polarized now, because a great many ignorant people are missing out on a good time, merely by insisting to remain willfully ignorant.

Buy this book and read it. Even if you have to forget who wrote it.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2010
Jon Stewart and the writers at The Daily Show are the best. If you have a sense of humor and understand even a tiny amount of science you will love this book.
on February 28, 2011
I was very excited to see this book, and I was a huge fan of America: The Book. This book was very disappointing when compared to America: The Book. There were some funny lines in it, but overall, it was just "enh". As an American Politics instructor who reviews hundreds of American Politics textbooks, America: The Book was hilarious cover to cover. This book just seemed forced, and I stopped reading it about two-thirds of the way through the book. I was bored by that point, and that is not a good sign.
on September 27, 2010
I love Jon Stewart and the Daily Show. I loved "America the Book"...I read it many times. "Earth the Book" doesn't even come close to being as funny as "America." I expected to laugh out loud at every page in "Earth," but in reality I only found myself laughing every 8-10 pages. It just simply isn't funny, and it isn't anywhere close to being hilarious like "America" was. It's only mildly amusing at best. Very disappointing. If you're really excited about reading it, I recommend checking it out at the library and saving your money.
on January 25, 2013
I view The Daily Show every night. It is my only source of news, as the "regular" news just tires me out with it's superficiality and chronic repetiveness. However, while I think this book is probably hilarious, I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I've outgrown this kind of thing. The few pages I did read seemed pretty sophomoric. I'm going to give it to my friend's two smart, rowdy boys. They'll love it.
on March 13, 2015
i got this one and the democracy one. really upset john is leaving the daily show. i hope he finds a new vehicle that he is happy with. maybe directing the one he made was like to artsy for me. like steel magnolias or something. idk. still enjoyed the daily show. that's why i bought these books.