Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 156 reviews
VINE VOICEon January 4, 2011
As a huge fan of Lescroart's Hardy/Glitsky series who has read every single one of his books at least twice, I couldn't wait for his new novel DAMAGE to come out. In his recent books, this writer has departed from his winning formula of a courtroom drama and concentrated more on the character of Wyatt Hunt, whose flat and uninspiring appearance in The Hunt Club,A Plague of Secrets, etc. really spoiled my enjoyment of Lescroart's books.

Finally, though, this great writer has given his fans the kind of book that first made us like his novels and follow these series. DAMAGE is absolutely brilliant. It is truly on the same level as Lescroart's breath-taking Guilt (Abe Glitsky),The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy),The Hearing, and others. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading (or rather, gulping down) this great novel.

Gone is the inane, goody-two-shoes investigator Wyatt Hunt and his coterie of whiny friends and employees. The focus of this novel is back on Glitsky, a great policeman and a complex, fascinating human being who is as unlike the one-dimensional Hunt as anybody could be. Wes Farrell, who, in my opinion, is the most endearing and quirky character ever created by Lescroart is also one of the protagonists here. Believe it or not, Farrell is now the District Attorney. It is a great challenge for this former defense attorney to learn to see the world from the prosecutorial side of the courtroom.

Farrell and Glitsky have to work together as the DA and the Chief of Homicide. Still, the case of Ro Curtlee, a scion of a wealthy and powerful family who was convicted for rape and murder many years ago but has now been released on bail pending a retrial, puts a big strain on the friendship between Farrell and Glitsky, as well as on Wes's relationship with his girlfriend Sam. It's become an overused cliche to say that a book is impossible to put down, but that is truly the case with DAMAGE. The very first pages grip you with suspense which doesn't subside until the very end of the book.

Lescroart gives us his trademark courtroom scenes, which is what he does best, in this great novel. There is literally not a boring paragraph in this fast-paced book that keeps surprising you at every turn. We see the fascinating power play between San Francisco's new mayor, the city's new Chief of police, and our friends Farrell, and Glitsky. There is corruption, there are failings of the judicial system, there is mystery, there is human drama, there are complex characters - in short, this novel offers everything we have come to expect from Lescroart's great series.
1111 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2011
Having read all of Mr. Lescroat's novels in order of publishing, it amazes me how his story lines do not get boring or repetitive. This may be not be my favorite of his novels but it certainly ranks up there with the best of them. This novel focuses on Abe Glinsky, Amanda Jenkins, Wes Farrell with little focus on Dismas Hardy. Which is fine because Mr. Lescroat's writing blend in so very well with all of his characters. It doesn't matter which characters are featured. They all work. I will be looking forward to Mr. Lescroart's next novel with bells on my toes!!!
on December 5, 2013
Damage is damaged. I was just about to chuck it (Dorothy Parkers famous line "Don't set this book down lightly; throw it with all your might.") I was at page 197 when I said to myself WHY are you reading this book! Not to finish a book on an uneven number I decided to go to 200 pages. It finally became a good police story--for a while. It never did become a good legal yarn. The first two hundred pages could have been halved. The total would have been 345 pages which, I think, is the maximum length a fictional police or legal or a mystery should be. I read my first Lescroart novel while in rehab and since it was my first exposure to him and he really caught my attention I immediately purchased two more of his novels. I'm going to leave them on the shelf for a while until I get the bad taste out of my mouth from reading this one. I buy books from Amazon when they are ten bucks or less so I'm never out too much if the book is a bummer.
on February 27, 2012
Wes Farrell has been elected District Attorney in San Francisco. Now he has a wealthy, powerful family wanting to call in favors. Over the years, the parents had been acquiring housemaids from places like Guatemala, and their son had been raping the housemaids. He was convicted of rape and murder, but now he is out as his case was sent back for retrial. Bond was set at $10 million, but that is a drop in the bucket for the wealthy family who, among other things, own a local newspaper that they use to attack their enemies (real or imagined). They retaliated against anyone involved in convicting their son in the original case, and they will move mountains to keep him from being sent back to prison. Power corrupts.

This is a study in legal procedures as the law wants to lock the man up without bail, and powerful interests are at play to keep him out on the streets. People involved in the original case show up dead, and there are various sorts of threats. How far can the police go, with or without warrants. There are some twists in the plot at the end, and an open case left pending.

The case and characters make me think of a real case in my home county in Washington State where a jury refused to convict a person for blowing away a scumbag - taking the attitude that there are some men who need killing. There are crimes, and then there are crimes. People tend to view things in light of the circumstances. You will have to use your judgment about how far the police can go with a case. There are sometimes fuzzy dividing lines between justice and injustice, between being protected by the law and having the law violate your rights.
on January 2, 2012
I've been a Lescroart fan for many, many years - particularly the Dismas Hardy lawyer novels. His homicicide detective friend, Abe Glitsky, has also been a frequent and appealing cast member.

As usual, Damage has a swift-moving and in-your-face plot, here in the form of the DA and Abe and other cops trying to re-convict an alleged rapist, torturer and murderer who has been released from prison on appeal. As the story unwinds, however, it comes across as a stereotypical cowboys-and-Indians movie of the 1950s - you are either very, very good or very, very bad. The final climax is so over the top I guarantee your eyes will roll.

(Unless the news media are collaborating in a conspiracy to keep secret the details of serious crimes I am VERY tired of good writers trying to outcreep one another with the supposed gory details of death and depravation in society - usually wrought upon helpless women.)

Theere's an slightly interesting subplot concerning the foreman of the jury that originally convicted our anti-hero, but an alert and/or experienced reader will probably sniff it out, as did I.
on March 26, 2012
Ro Curtlee, son of publishing scions, gets out of his sentence for rape/murder on a technicality and dead bodies start turning up--specifically, a chief witness against him and his jury foreman's wife.

Homicide Detective Abe Giltsky finds the odds stacked against him in his quest to get the dangerous psychopath behind bars where he belongs: a new D.A., a new Mayor, the powerful Curtlees and their newspaper, and a missing witness.

It all hums along with nail-biting fury until the "A" story ends abruptly and the far less interesting "B" plot takes over. The ending is telegraphed a mile away.

The reader may find himself angry that he stayed up so late ripping through a promising story only to find himself feeling ripped off in the end.

90% of a great novel. Then 10% dreck.
on February 9, 2011
"DAMAGE" was a great, fast-paced, tightly written yarn with a few familiar characters. The under story of scrabbling social service wars was quite authentic and underlines some very real contemporary themes. The Hercule Poirot ending was a joy. Resurrecting that device in this very contemporary novel was an unexpected delight to read. I read the book on a stormy weekend and decided it was a good thing I didn't have a lot of plans, for I would have cancelled them in order to stay home and read. I appreciate a certain economy of words in the narrative; however, the descriptions of characters, motivations, and emotional content are well-drawn and clear. This book was a satisfying read.
on October 13, 2013
I like the Abe Glitsky character, but I found it hard to deal with such bad people for so long. Made me want to jump in there and do something about it. Still, entertaining reading with some nice plot twists.
on February 9, 2011
I am a hugh fan of John Lescroart, so my review of his latest novel, "Damage", may be a little bais. The cast of characters, especially the main characters, interact in such a way that the reader almost feels like he or she is interacting with them. The story line consists of a good mystery with many twists and turns. Typical Lescroart novels contain legal material which becomes technical at times, but adds to the story. As in many of his stories, one single item triggers the evidence that leads to the killer and it is hidden in the story, so you need to pay attention to the details. For those of you who enjoy a good mystery, I recommend this latest novel by John Lescroart. It is a very good read! Bob Ouellette
VINE VOICEon January 10, 2011
I finished "Damage" today, and it was EXCELLENT! It was a real pageturner, and I think it may be one of Mr. Lescroart's best books. I am a big fan of the Diz/Abe series, so I was especially happy that Abe played such a large role in this novel. Plot, characterization and dialogue are superb, and the suspense is non-stop. Be sure to set some time aside when you begin reading because it will be difficult to put this book down.

If you are already a Lescroart fan, you will love this book. If Mr. Lescroart is new to you, you might want to first read some of his earlier work so that you can better appreciate these beloved characters.