BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Damaged
Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 14, 2017
Black Flag is not a band for the weak stomach. Damaged is raw Black Flag (as if any of their other was NOT raw haha) and probably my favorite material. Hi energy, and great to listen to during intense mountain bike rides up a grueling hill. If you are unfamiliar with the old-school Hardcore Punk genre and want to experiment, this CD/Album is a must for that trial collection.
on March 4, 2007
I haven't heard every rock 'n' roll record ever made, but if there was anything angrier committed to vinyl before "Damaged," I haven't come across it.

And if you can't relate to "Depression" in some moments of your life, you're not human, or you're lying to yourself. It's the best song on the album, I think. "Depression's got ahold of me/Depression, gotta break free/Depression's got ahold of me/Depression, it's gonna kill me" -- Been there, felt that, bought the T-shirt.

A few notes --

The guitar tones from Greg Ginn and Dez Cadena sound like they're literally exploding from the speakers, so untamed they make virtually all the early '80s metal axemeisters sound tea-party polite, tone-wise. (Okay, maybe not Eddie Van Halen, but he's a special case).

Cadena had taken over on second guitar (abdicating the lead-vocalist role to Henry Rollins) only a short time before this album was recorded -- it doesn't sound that way. Too bad they didn't stick with the twin-guitar line-up longer.

Rollins joined the band only a short time before the album was recorded -- he was obviously a quick study, and sounds like rage incarnate. But note that the lyrics were all written by Greg Ginn and/or bassist Chuck Dukowski -- only the improv vox on "Damaged I" present Rollins' own words.

Astute old-school metal fans will notice snatches of what appear to be Black Sabbath and AC/DC rhythm riffs here and there -- not a complaint, just historical perspective, and I don't know if Ginn did this deliberately.

Also, you'll notice Ginn and Cadena soloing all over the place. It's funny that the uninformed consider hardcore punk to be pretty much bereft of guitar solos. Not these guys. But it's always careening, reckless stuff, not studied showing-off.

Buybuybuybuybuybuybuybuybuybuiybuybuybuybuybuy
on July 10, 2016
I don't think a lot of refinement went into the making of this album. But that's just it this is punk and this is the way it was meant to be. I would compare it to the Sex Pistols' "Never mind the Bollocks" album
on May 7, 2017
Love it ♡
review image
on November 4, 2013
I was really impressed by this album. I'm not much of a punk rocker; I'm more of a head banger, but this is really good.

I found out about Black Flag on an old PlayStation game called Grind Session, I originally thought the lyrics to Rise Above were "Ride the boat, We're gonna ride the boat." I was also seven or eight years old at the time, so go figure.

I'll say my favorite songs are Rise Above, Spray Paint (The Walls), Six Pack, TV Party, Thirsty and Miserable, and Police Story. Rise Above is the perfect punk rock anthem to me. It is a song that says it all about what punk rock is, not that wannabe pop punk. These songs have so much energy it makes my head spin.

However, the album loses its energy towards the last three songs. Damaged I sounds like Henry Rollins' memoir, that is the only song I dislike on Damaged.

If there was one punk album I would recommend to anybody, it would easily be Damaged. I think this is an underrated album (I wasn't born when this album came out and I grew up listening to metal.), because I never heard of Black Flag until I started getting into punk, which was about eight months ago.
on June 22, 2016
One of the best Hardcore Punk releases of all time, hands down. Songs show great variation- whether it be the clash of rock riffs vs proto-math chords, the various lyrical content, or the wild screams from Henry Rollins- "Damaged" is a must listen for any newcomer into the genre, let alone punk as a whole. Strap on your boots, pop your knuckles, and have a badass time. (Guaranteed!)
on November 19, 2013
Damaged is one of the most influential punk albums of all time. Henry Rollins takes over on lead vocals to help create one of the most celebrated Black Flag albums. This is the pinnacle for L.A. hardcore punk at that time, maybe ever. This album is a must for any person who would say they are into punk-rock. Don't think about it... Just buy it!
on January 24, 2013
This is a great album covering a range of topics. Too name a few: depression, suicide, overwhelm, and overcoming the income class you were born into. One of the best albums I've listened to in a long time. I am partial to the more serious songs, so I could do without the lighter tracks such as Six Pack and TV Party. I deleted those two tracks. That is just personal preference though. Being a punk band I can see why those tracks are on there. I could see those tracks working better with some of the other singers Black Flag has had. Henry Rollins is just so serious and intense that the fun stuff doesn't really seem to fit him.
on September 4, 2017
LOVE IT
on January 17, 2016
It's Black Flag they don't need my review.