Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Dana Owens Album
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 208 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
The moment I finished listening to this CD, my knee-jerk reaction was simple: MORE! Queen Latifah proves she is as comfortable performing classic songs as she is doing rap. Her fans knew her talents as a rap artist; it is no surprise that she can pull this switch into more classic tunes without a hitch. (After all, she sang wonderfully in the movie Chicago without a rap format.)

Her voice is strong, sensuous, and just plain wonderful to listen to. Al Green also joins her in singing "Simply Beautiful," a song Green himself wrote.

The selected songs combine to form a very strong, unified set that is ecstasy to listen to the way you want to, maybe just relaxing or perhaps with a glass of fine wine. The quality of the music is excellent and the cover photo of Dana is beautiful. You don't get lyrics to the songs but the credits are there.

In short, BUY THIS CD! You won't be sorry! GRIN
on September 30, 2004
I first heard the tracks to this CD off of RealPlayer's Free Listening Parties. Honestly, I didn't have any high expectations for it...after all Queen Latifah is known partly for her comedy and rap, right? However, after hearing it for the first time, I was taken aback! She can do everything...and well, too! You can hear the strength of her character - her voice is definitely full of soul. Even my roommate asked "this is Queen Latifah?! you're kiddng"...she thought it was another Diana Krall! There's a taste of swing, original covers, soul, light rock, etc. all you need to sit back and relax. After continously listening to the cd, I had to find out if it was out yet..and for how much. I'm glad to see that this album is DEFINITELY worth the price...and I'm not one who usually buys cds!
on October 3, 2004
Some reviewers don't get it (see the reference to Jill Scott). This isn't about past albums where Queen Latifah represented her attitude. It's an album for those who have outgrown (or bypassed) the mindless "stuff" played on MTV.

Her selections are beautiful, her voice is stellar ... the album exudes class. To me, it seems to have a bit more kick than Diana Krall.
VINE VOICEon September 29, 2004
The Dana Owens album proves that Queen Latifah can really sing. I loved listening to this album very much. My favorite track is Mercy Mercy Mercy. She sounds so good singing this song. I think her voice has so much power and energy. I think she really sings from the heart here. I loved the horns in the background on this track too. Baby Get Lost is a sassy track with attitude, and I loved it Queen Latifah really gives her listeners a taste of what R and B music sounded like it in the 40's.

Another highlight track for me is the song California Dreaming. This performance is so soulful and excellent. It is a great song. I think Queen Latifah's cover of this song is the best one I've ever heard. Queen Latifah sounds so sexy and smooth on Nina Simone's classic blues song I Put A Spell on You. She really makes this song her own. The legendary Herbie Hancock does an awesome job playing the piano on this track. I loved this song. I never heard of the song Close Your Eyes before, but I loved the way Queen Latifah sings this I just felt so relaxed listening to this track. Her vocal performance on this song is so good.

I like her rendition of the Bill Withers song Same Love. It is a classic R and B song from the 70's I think Queen Latifah does a great job singing this song. The Dana Owens album is a pleasant surprise.
on August 27, 2005
I heard 2 tracks on this CD on the radio which I liked so I decided to buy the CD. Well, I was in for such a surprise; the CD is absolutely fantastic! I played it over and over. Queen Latifah's voice is so amazing I wondered why she hid it all these years under the rap genre. Her vocal range and the choice of songs are really "music to the ears". I highly recommend this CD - its a musical delight and I want more!
on October 7, 2004
Queen Latifah is a treasure! This CD arrived in the mail today. I put it in my portable CD player and took a walk. I think everybody on the walking path thought I was nuts. I couldn't stop smiling. I think I even whooped out loud a couple of times. This CD is great! She's great! I've been waiting for this CD ever since seeing her in Living Out Loud. Do not hesitate to buy this CD. You will not be disappointed.
on October 10, 2004
Queen Latifah. Dana Owens. Whatever you want to call her, the woman is a gift. She is elegance, she is grace, she is class. And now with "The Dana Owens Album" she has proved it once again, this time to the music world. The Queen has entered the building, and she ain't never gonna be leavin'. Ya hear?

Her sass is still there, on the upbeat tracks such as "Baby Get Lost" and "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh" and "Mercy Mercy Mercy." She won't let you forget that she IS still the Queen. Don't be fooled.

But we also get the exquisite treat of her more sensitive and mature side, on "Close Your Eyes", "I Put A Spell on You," "California Dreamin'" and of course the absolutely perfect "Lush Life," from "Living Out Loud," which was the first time I realized that this lady, while already immensely talented, was much more multi-talented than anyone initially thought. How wonderful that her career has blossomed so well since this initial outing.

There are not enough superlatives and not enough exclamations in the dictionary to represent how I feel after listening to this album over and over again. I will never tire of it, and I will never tire of her magical voice. I can't wait to see what she does next. If Queen Dana Latifah Owens has reinvented herself before--and she has--she just might do it again, and I will be anxiously awaiting the next move. Will she rap again? Possibly, but as a non-rap fan, I am hoping that she continues along this path and continues to grace us with that velvety smooth voice for years to come.
on April 12, 2007
Count me among those who greatly admire this album. Admittedly, it's probably not for her hip-hop fans. But for (ahem) older folks, lovers of standards and jazz, and, well, lovers and romantic partners, it's wonderful. I hope these efforts were supported enough by her label and fan base so that there will be a follow-up CD. All hail the Queen!
on December 19, 2005
WOW! I've followed the Queen's career for quite some time and I must say... with all the different avenues an artist has to chose to go down, she's made one of the best moves of her career!

Not only does she have the followers of her precedented debut as a hip-hop star..she has gained the repsect of true musical admirers. From this album I believe it was her intent to let us know that she's not finished or washed up.... there's much more out there for her to do and more ways than ever for her to continue in redefining herself!

This could be hailed as one of the BEST demonstrations of rythm and blues and Soul all in one!!..Being from the Home of the Blues... I know a little bit about what I'm talking about...If anyone enjoys the sultry sounds of Aretha or Etta James...this is one to purchase and play over and over! Once again, the Queen's done it to her own "tune"

Put the CD on, light the candles, open the wine... and Unwind!

Way to go Queen!
on September 30, 2004
Queen Latifah has quickly become one of my favorite actresses and singers. She's done huge movie thing, the rap thing.. I loved her sitcom.

And if you needed any more confirmation of her greatness and talent be sure to check out this cd.

I sampled this cd on iTunes and I had to have it immediately! I've never been a fan of jazz and old school r&b..but the queen hath converted. I find myself sitting back and drinking moca to this smooth and sultry performance.

Dana Owens with out a doubt deserves to be called Queen now!