- Hardcover: 267 pages
- Publisher: Icon Books; 1St Edition edition (2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1848310218
- ISBN-13: 978-1848310216
- Product Dimensions: 5.3 x 1.1 x 8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 13.4 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #378,944 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A Time to Dance, a Time to Die The Extraordinary Story of the Dancing Plague of 1518 Hardcover – 2008
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
But really what is so significant about a few hundred people going a bit nuts five hundred years ago? Supposedly there were deaths but probably not even twenty and its not completely clear that the cause was the dancing. The books title promises something more ghastly, a society gone haywire when in fact it was probably less then one percent of the population of the city involved. And given the paucity of sources about these events, it gives the book a hazy, unreal quality. Waller tries to be historically accurate and yet there is a feeling of thinness, of question marks around the most basic facts of the story.
Frankly, I think this book could have been a forty page essay.