Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on March 7, 2015
Well written, all to real. My own personal experience in a book, but above all this and brought out in the story is God's grace. I appreciate how the author portrays Amalise faith and at the same time the distance she was feeling from God, but more importantly why. A reminder that we need to be listening to that still, quiet voice and that He is never far away no matter how far 'we' stray. Equally well portrayed though she was a strong, capable, young woman the first secret that she kept empowered him; an important lesson-don't let your shame cause you to hide. How does it begin? A nice looking guy, smiling eyes, he's really looking at me? A quick look around and you realize he is; that's how it starts. There are broken, empty men all around and they gravitate to the strong and the capable, but when they recognize that 'you' haven't filled that void they resent you, sadly they hate you the harder you try. On this side of the cross I realize there is only One to fill the void and fix that brokeness, we can't. Run while you can. My heart is still pounding. Recommend.
on November 15, 2011
This novel is a psychological novel and a page-turner. In New Orleans in 1974, amid all the sights and sounds of New Orleans, in the background of the St. Louis Cathedral and the French Quarter, a young lawyer, Amalise Catoir is a student and a waitress who meets a charming, handsome artist, Philip Sharp, falls in love with him when he paints her portrait, then starts an affair with him that has devastating consequences. He is a dark personality, manipulative, controlling, possessive, which Amalise discovers too late, already taken in by his charms..and his obsession. This is a well-written disturbing novel, leading to a suspenseful end.. This is a good read, intriguing mystery and highly recommended!
on January 11, 2015
An amazing, thought-provoking, harrowing story. A well written story of a woman caught in a sociopathic man's web. The reader can see how Amalise is entangled; trying to see the good in a man who has none. Young women need to read this and be warned - not everyone can be saved. Excellent read - could hardly put it down.
on September 10, 2014
Beautifully written and cleverly put together. I simultaneously wanted to hug and both shake the main character. I had a hard time putting it down. It made me think of the realities of domestic violence and the roles and expectations of women then, which wasn't so long ago and now. It'll make you think and feel deeply.
on April 9, 2014
I enjoyed the book. I lead the book group discussion and wrote my own questions since there were not any available. The story line was a bit unbelievable at times because it was difficult to believe that a smart girl in law school could be so gullible and out of touch with her feelings. If only she had a cell phone!
on January 14, 2017
Just as advertised, nice reading - flows well.
on June 10, 2016
easy access to a wide variety of reading choices.
on February 21, 2014
I found this story to be a bit contrived; although I know situations like this take place, I couldn't buy into the story. Although Amalise was naive, if her intelligence couldn't save her, her faith should have.
on September 11, 2014
This is a very scary situation. I read it because I feel my one daughter is in a similar situation! Very we'll written and very true in some controlling relationships!
on October 22, 2015
Excellent book for understanding the value of 'safe relationships'.